Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

bubbles1812

I put the HP news out there as a discussion point. Again, if Disney had truly wanted the IP they would have kept it. No matter the cost. The Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm purchases prove they have the resources. They had to know there was a good chance Universal would pick up the concept. They either were not interested in keeping it or they wanted them to have it. In any case, Disney choose wisely.
Have you just blocked out the story which has been repeated ad nauseum on this thread regarding HP and Disney? The wanted it but couldn't stomach the demands of JK and were scared of their corporate sponsors. And many within Disney regret it. Simple answer for a simple question.

RSoxNo1

My predictions? (Since when did *I* have a crystal ball instead of blue?)
Well, the conference calls have had attendance as flat and they continued to dodge Jason Garcia's questions so .... here goes. I have no inside information, i'm not basing this off any metric other than a wild guess and what the mouse has said.
MK around 17.3 (that'd be 1% growth) The other three parks? Again, assuming only 1% growth? DAK at 9.85, DHS at 9.8 and Epcot around 10.9 although Epcot showed no change from 2010-2011.

So IDK but based on Disney's public statements, I would be surprised if the numbers deviate a lot from that.

Looking at IOA? NBC Universal does not make reference to attendance in their annual report. They simply said "Higher."
There is nothing to go on there other than another year of 29% growth would put it at 9.9 million and IMO that doesnt seem mathmatically realistic but I wouldnt discount it either. I don't regularly go there so I have no observational data to go on. Its 7.65 million in 2011 so most likely, somewhere between 8.25-8.75. Thats in the 15% range and makes more sense. (Again, totally guesswork)

However.... if IOA maintains that 29% growth? Look the hell out; they'd have leapfrogged DAK & DHS. I wont be surprised when that happens either.
I would guess Universal's growth would be substantially lower actually. I think there's a chance for a minor lull before Harry Potter 2.0

MattM

I clearly stated that it wasn't ALL corporations, but too many of the large ones in this country. Secondly, I'm not bringing a pro-government, or anti-government bent here, as you are by stating that the federal government inept and I'm not even going down that road. I've been up close with some major corporations, I have very close family that has been near the top of the food chain (and I'm not talking about some mid-level manager stuff, rather executive committee, board, etc.) at a few top 100 in this country, and it's sadly naive to think that a lot of what is done now isn't purely for business reasons and not love of the community. There are still good people in many of these companies that want to do the right thing in the community, but they are generally overshadowed by the other side.

Just a random company: Where I live, Bank of America foots the bill for a one day a month at major art museum for county residents to go for free. The same Bank of America that has milked our government for billions and is now guaranteed not to fail. Also, the same BoA that has drastically reduced lending to small business even when the small business has the fiscal means and would qualify for such loan, but BoA prefers to take their cash and indulge in further questionable investment schemes. BoA doesn't do this to help the community, they do it to help their image, and to get customers. That's reality.

You assume you are the only one who has family (or themselves) who have sat on a BoD. Of course there are bad actors out there, and the financial industry would certainly seem to be the worst of the worst. But to group them all in together is unfair. Of course all corporations ultimately make every decision based on what is good for the corporation. Just like you do, just like I do.

You know, when tax deductions were written into law so that those in their communities could contribute directly to their communities without going through the middle man (fed govt). It was a way for people and business to grow and help their communities as they saw fit. The gov't then allowed them to deduct that money from their tax liability to a certain extent. Now it's being thrown around as if its negative to do it for the "tax advantage" (meaning, it went directly to someone instead of being wasted somewhere else). You cant have it both ways.

Lastly, I'm not going on a pro/anti government tirade here. Regardless of politics, it's hard to argue that the federal government is a good steward of the people's money.

PhotoDave219

I would guess Universal's growth would be substantially lower actually. I think there's a chance for a minor lull before Harry Potter 2.0

I think 10-15% would be realistic but I have nothing to base it off of other than "You cant sustain 29% growth."

But if they somehow were able to? Certainly brings CoasterWars Round 2 to an entire new level.

twebber55

i see a small jump for USF (6%) because of DM and their nighttime show and maybe a flat line/small growth (4%) for IOA

total guesses on my part but like others here will remember if im right so can brag or disappear if im wrong lol

WDWFanDave

Yes, they are at GrandFla.

I saw that too, on Twitter.

Guessing these are comped rooms? If so, count me in the disgusted crowd.

I can barely afford to breathe the air in that resort. And they're giving away the rooms for this crap?

Yet another reason we are NOT going back to WDW this year.

Or, maybe...maybe I just need a blog and a few followers. :) Nah, will never happen.

No question why they pull $500 per night+ there, now. Someone has to pay for all the freebies they give away.

bubbles1812

Generational Appeal and proven long-term success. Will we even care about HP 36 years from now like people still care about Star Wars? Not taking anything away from HP, it's a huge draw and popular right now. But will it be relevant to different generations 3 decades from now?

I've never seen/read HP, my son has. But we watch Star Wars together.
Yes, but what matters is that your son has, not you. You are the older generation, no offense, and it would be his generation that will pass on the love of Potter to their children the way you did with Star Wars with yours. I've read them, and I know that I will encourage my children to read them. I know many many many of my friends who have done this already, or will do it when they have children of their own. I think you underestimate how Potter impacted this generation of children... Not surprising since you haven't read the series or seen the movies. (Not knocking that you haven't. Just saying it is hard for you to understand the full impact having not experienced the series.)

I've repeated before, I think HP has a very good chance of lone term success. Fantasy series seem to have a better chance of longetivity. Look at the Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings... That sucker was published in 1954. Now the movies helped repopularize it, but the fact is that it has always had a large fan base. I see Potter as having a good chance to do that, not only because it is a good story but it is also an easier read, not to mention the cultural impact it has had, much like Lord of the Rings, or yes Star Wars too.

stevehousse

Oh, yes. The whole thing (nearly a week for some) is totally on the mouse's dime. Airfare, rooms, tickets, food, swag...everything.

All in an effort to ensure that every insignificant blogger has a great time and provides glowing and magical reviews to their readers.
Bought and paid for.

I you look at the disclaimer at the bottom of the mommy blogger website, it states that they get a compted stay for up to 3 additional guests...

PhotoDave219

Oh, yes. The whole thing (nearly a week for some) is totally on the mouse's dime. Airfare, rooms, tickets, food, swag...everything.

All in an effort to ensure that every insignificant blogger has a great time and provides glowing and magical reviews to their readers.
Bought and paid for.

What annoys me is when you go on a "Dog and Pony Show" (thats what this is) and they say "no pics/video" and then sure enough, someone breaks that rule and your agency/outlet suffers because you played by the rules. There's never any penalties for people who insist on breaking the rules. That they get a comp'd room at the GrandFla is just insult to injury.

/rant

EDIT - turns out its just B-Roll Disney gave to everyone that one blogger is taking credit for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom