Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Really? I think you could sell Potter merchandise at numerous locations at TPFKaTD-MGMS for starters ...

If you can't beat em, join em...I guess that works sometimes, but you'd have to sell knockoffs. I doubt they would get licensing rights to sell authentic Potter stuff.

Figments Friend

No, they're not. I am not exactly sure of the policy with comps though. I did have an UGLY incident about 5-6 years ago at DLR. I had four comps left for me, but two of the friends they were for couldn't go at last minute. I thought I'd make a little MAGIC of my own and hand them off to two strangers (see, the Spirit has a big heart ... too!) Well, I went up to a family of five who were in line for tickets and told them I had free tix and didn't need two of them and that I didn't want anything for them. The CM in the booth must have had cat-like eyes because she started screaming at me from inside the booth and totally freaked the family out who nervously declined.

I wasn't happy. ... I just moved out a bit from the booths and found a young couple and they graciously took the tickets and thanked me profusely. Since the tix were comped and in my name, I don't see how/why Disney could have any say on who actually used them beyond one for me.

(oh, and they were all dated -- only could be used that day!)

Interesting story. I had something similar happen to me, when a friend gave me two tickets on my first visit to DLR. Thankfully, the story had a lot less drama and there was no screaming CM to greet us....but i was asked to be a well-behaved purple dragon since the comp tix were in his name.

My friend had worked for Disney for a number a years, and for ages had been getting free tickets and all sorts of goodies sent to him that he was not using. When he found out i enjoy the Parks, he kindly gave me a couple of his comp passes for my first visit to the Left Coast Park.
Nice way to be welcomed!

HMF

All it will take is one major problem with P&R for Tom Staggs to lose the small cache of support he has for Iger's job. People want an outsider to run the company and I would be very surprised if that didn't happen.
Something like MyMagic+?

HMF

Honestly, the company could do a lot worse. Like him or not, he has been good for the company as a whole.
I would flat-out disagree with that. He has turned the company from a creative dream factory into a glorified Holding Company. He has been good for pleasing Wall Street, but what is good for Disney long term does not align with what the crooks on Wall Street want.

ParentsOf4

I would flat-out disagree with that. He has turned the company from a creative dream factory into a glorified Holding Company. He has been good for pleasing Wall Street, but what is good for Disney long term does not align with what the crooks on Wall Street want.
I never thought of it that way before but, wow, you're right. TWDC has devolved into essentially a holding company.

FrankLapidus

I agree, though I don't think I feel as strongly as you do. Disney needs to get back into the business of creating things rather than buying them, that has always been the foundation of the company and should remain so. Also, for me, when someone sets an exit strategy I think it's important they follow it. Iger's done a good job but he made the decision to step aside in 2015 and I think he should stick to that. Iger will leave something good for his successor to work with and maybe that person will have some of the qualities that Iger lacks, creativity for one.

John

I agree, though I don't think I feel as strongly as you do. Disney needs to get back into the business of creating things rather than buying them, that has always been the foundation of the company and should remain so. Also, for me, when someone sets an exit strategy I think it's important they follow it. Iger's done a good job but he made the decision to step aside in 2015 and I think he should stick to that. Iger will leave something good for his successor to work with and maybe that person will have some of the qualities that Iger lacks, creativity for one.

Problem is that the entire culture....attitude....the way they do buisness has changed. Once they took pride in createing.....to wow us as guest. Now they take pride in making money. Nothing wrong with that if that is where your focus is. Thats the essence of the change in the way they do buisness.I contend that Iger has distain for the parks. That it is why NG has been concieved. Just to justify its exsistence.

Everyone is clamoring for Star Wars (includeing me) but I think TWD is taking thier time with the property. Dont worry in time we will besieged with SW. They are not going to spend 4 bil. and not see a return.....ohhhh no they will bring it and bring it large. Will we see SW in WDW? Heck if I know. But that dosnt mean it wont have a very large presence in our lives.We can give Disney credit for one ting and thats marketing...they do that in spades..
No matter if you love them or hate them....they can make the money. IMO the buying spree probably isnt over.

Magenta Panther

Of course. It certainly could do worse. But it could also do better.

A lot of what he is doing is with smoke and mirrors and designed for short term gains. And let's not even start talking about his strategy for content in which Disney doesn't create, it acquires.

Hmmm...where have I heard that before? ;)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Same issue that you have now with ADRs.. besides the ones with the $10 fee.. you can make all the ADRs you want without even requiring tickets.

So, now instead of getting to the Studios and finding all the TSMM FP's are gone or Soarin at EPCOT, I'll get to experience that same disappointment from my sofa at home or the office? I think this thing is going to be a bigger disaster than even I thought ... heads will roll ... but it never is the right heads.

I find it interesting that the pre-order stuff they have labeled as a FP+ experience.. are you going to give up a ride on Splash mountain so you can pre-order food? that doesn't sound attractive. Not sure why they have labeled that a FP+ experience.. and do I need that AND an ADR? almost leads to more questions then answers..

Ah, but that's what some of us have been saying from the get-go. I am truly not sure how much of this is the desire to control the info and be as secretive as possible and how much of it is Disney making up as it goes along.

But they should have announced it all on one day and had ALL the answers to any possible questions by now. They look like rank amateurs in the way they are handling this launch.

One park per day is still pretty clear in the ToS as a 'yes'. How much you can book is not addressed at all. There are plenty of models they can use here.. just have to see which way they go.

That will almost make FP+ unusable to many who enjoy doing 2-3 parks in a day. If you start at DAK and head to EPCOT from 2-7 and MK from 8-midnight, you're gonna way unreasonably long at least two out of three.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If you can't beat em, join em...I guess that works sometimes, but you'd have to sell knockoffs. I doubt they would get licensing rights to sell authentic Potter stuff.

I do as well. I was joking.

But you certainly could. I recall being at HKDL in 2010 and seeing Fantasyland's shops selling Spidey an Iron Man toys, which made absolutely no sense whatsoever

WDW1974

Original Poster
Interesting story. I had something similar happen to me, when a friend gave me two tickets on my first visit to DLR. Thankfully, the story had a lot less drama and there was no screaming CM to greet us....but i was asked to be a well-behaved purple dragon since the comp tix were in his name.

My friend had worked for Disney for a number a years, and for ages had been getting free tickets and all sorts of goodies sent to him that he was not using. When he found out i enjoy the Parks, he kindly gave me a couple of his comp passes for my first visit to the Left Coast Park.
Nice way to be welcomed!

If said tickets had names on them, it would be one thing. But they were left for me and three guests and clearly I couldn't use three tickets in one day. The CM was boorish and if I didn't want to get my friend in trouble, I would have told her off as there was no policy I was breaking. Tickets can be bought as gifts, after all.

As to free, that's always the best way to go. I had an AP for DLR for a decade when I was bi-coastal, but since the last one in '07 I have gone to DLR countless times with either friends walking me in or handing me comps. I did have tp pay for one $80 day in 12/11 when I wound up taking a day trip at last minute and wanted to see the Christmas entertainment and didn't want to bother anyone at the 11th hour.

I often wonder why I keep my WDW AP when it is very clear that TWDC doesn't want my business and I am quite capable of getting in for free practically any day of the year. I chalk it up to my own residual Pixie Dust addiction!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
On Easter Sunday too?!??!? ... Ok, someone needs to send me a note and tell me what I missed. I hate when that happens.

Any apple pies today, 'Mom'? :)
DisneyNut2007 is trying to get you banned. He has posted on about 6 threads that you are a spammer and a liar ...etc. He's on a one-man-mission calling for your banishment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom