Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

scpergj

I originally bought my AP based on the number of times I thought I would visit the resort, and the AP was always the cheaper option. Last year I upgraded to the Premier Pass (before the price increases), which was cheaper than buying both the regualar WDW AP and a 4-day DLR ticket. With the price increases not really allowing for any savings, the lack of anything new of any substance, I am not renewing the pass nor am I getting a pass of any kind. I only plan on visiting Disneyland once in June and Disney World in September. I do have a few trips, on the otherhand, planned for Universal. I wouldn't even consider visitng WDW in September if it weren't for my Pixie Dust addiction, and I am a bit curious to see what they did to Test Track.

We haven't been since November, but our 15 year old son was there for a class trip and rode the new Test Track. He said that it seemed to him that all they did was take out the story...and that he understands why some are now calling it Tron Track. He says he prefered the old version.

His opinion, not mine...I'll reserve my own judgement untl I get to ride it....

FrankLapidus

Problem is that the entire culture....attitude....the way they do buisness has changed. Once they took pride in createing.....to wow us as guest. Now they take pride in making money. Nothing wrong with that if that is where your focus is. Thats the essence of the change in the way they do buisness.I contend that Iger has distain for the parks. That it is why NG has been concieved. Just to justify its exsistence.

I agree the culture has changed but I think that has come as a result of the man at the top currently. Iger isn't creative. Eisner, like him or loathe him, is creative and in his best years at Disney showed that he does have great creative instincts. If Iger's successor has similar creative qualities and instincts that Eisner had then the culture of the company can change again, restoring some of that creativity and utilising it alongside the properties that Disney have bought under Iger's stewardship. Creativity filters down from the top, we saw that when Eisner was in charge and there were creative "Golden Ages" and "Renaissances" throughout the company, including at the theme parks.

culturenthrills

Thanks for the info. Heard this, but haven't had a chance to post.

I certainly agree with your thoughts. I'm wondering if they'll still be using the biometrics too or will they stop? I am still stupid enough to pay for AP (31 years and counting) while my family long since gave up. My family and other close friends are always comped/walked in by some truly wonderful friends of mine, so this won't affect them.

But I am sure that Disney is looking to also intimidate some younger CMs who might be bartering and using the tix as currency with 'friends of friends' or 'my neighbor's cousin's daughter and her family' ...

It also makes thing more complicated for those guests. They now have to make arrangements to return those tickets to the CM either later that day or soon after.

Well, it is definitely gonna make it harder for our friend to get us in and we will have to get his card back to him if we go to a different park and have to go back to the park where his office is before he goes home. You know those of us who are comped in do spend money but it seems like Disney is basically giving the middle finger to all the locals at wdw with next gen. They are really gonna make it a pain in the for locals.

luv

No, they're not. I am not exactly sure of the policy with comps though. I did have an UGLY incident about 5-6 years ago at DLR. I had four comps left for me, but two of the friends they were for couldn't go at last minute. I thought I'd make a little MAGIC of my own and hand them off to two strangers (see, the Spirit has a big heart ... too!) Well, I went up to a family of five who were in line for tickets and told them I had free tix and didn't need two of them and that I didn't want anything for them. The CM in the booth must have had cat-like eyes because she started screaming at me from inside the booth and totally freaked the family out who nervously declined.

I wasn't happy. ... I just moved out a bit from the booths and found a young couple and they graciously took the tickets and thanked me profusely. Since the tix were comped and in my name, I don't see how/why Disney could have any say on who actually used them beyond one for me.

(oh, and they were all dated -- only could be used that day!)
I used to do that. Our company gave us free tickets to a local park, but we had passes, so I'd find a family and give them away.

You wouldn't believe how many people looked at me funny, like I'd rob them or the tickets had Ebola attached or something. Even when I said, "They're free. No strings attached."

No, thanks, we don't want free tickets. Please go away. Quickly. (Some of that was verbal, some was implied.)

It is amazing how many people who are standing in line would prefer to (one) continue waiting and (two) pay for tickets rather than take free ones and go on in.

I always found someone eventually, but it was always a task. I don't look mean, either...I don't think I do, anyway. :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wrong season. Plus, there were enough chocolate bunnies, etc so no extra sweets were needed.

Ah, but were the bunnies the solid variety? I hate the ones where you bite in and they crumble ... cheap, cheap, cheap.

Speaking of which, I need to go buy some Easter candy tomorrow before it's all gone (there's a reason I'm a faux top one percenter!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I originally bought my AP based on the number of times I thought I would visit the resort, and the AP was always the cheaper option. Last year I upgraded to the Premier Pass (before the price increases), which was cheaper than buying both the regualar WDW AP and a 4-day DLR ticket. With the price increases not really allowing for any savings, the lack of anything new of any substance, I am not renewing the pass nor am I getting a pass of any kind. I only plan on visiting Disneyland once in June and Disney World in September. I do have a few trips, on the otherhand, planned for Universal. I wouldn't even consider visitng WDW in September if it weren't for my Pixie Dust addiction, and I am a bit curious to see what they did to Test Track.

I think, ultimately, the reason why I won't give my AP up is I want to be the last Charter APer (one who was actually there from the day they were first sold and not 'grandfathered in' in 1999 because my parents were charters, which is total bull$h&t) alive, so Disney will have to acknowledge what a loyal and great customer I have been. It won't happen ... but it's a nice fantasy.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I do believe that Disney parks need to be immersive - they need to take you and transport you to another place or time. That's what they are so good at. But that does not have to be in an interactive way! I would even go so far that in certain ways interactivity takes away some of the immersiveness. As I know that I am not from that world, I am a "guest" and don't belong there. Watching passively, I can't disturb that other world with my actions. If I have to interact, that new world is "disturbed". Also, the one's guest interactivity might make other people's experiences less magical.

So - not a fan at all of interactivity being the new buzz word for everything!

No, I agree totally. Playing with a tablet ot smartphone in the queue of a Caribbean fortress in PoC completely takes you out of the story and enviornment and reminds you that you are simply in a theme park in Central FL. ... I understand how/why Disney got sold on this whole interactivity deal, but they're making a very bad investment on it. None of what they're installing has any repeatability and will generally fall apart quickly and people will tire of it and then just use that device to Tweet a picture of the burger they just devoured at Pecos Bill's ... BTW, anyone know about Disney entertaining Mommy Bloggers and their families at WDW this week?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, it is definitely gonna make it harder for our friend to get us in and we will have to get his card back to him if we go to a different park and have to go back to the park where his office is before he goes home. You know those of us who are comped in do spend money but it seems like Disney is basically giving the middle finger to all the locals at wdw with next gen. They are really gonna make it a pain in the for locals.

They don't feel like locals are important beyond things like Food and Wine Fest where they can make $$$ on them. ... Guess they forgot about post-9/11.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I used to do that. Our company gave us free tickets to a local park, but we had passes, so I'd find a family and give them away.

You wouldn't believe how many people looked at me funny, like I'd rob them or the tickets had Ebola attached or something. Even when I said, "They're free. No strings attached."

No, thanks, we don't want free tickets. Please go away. Quickly. (Some of that was verbal, some was implied.)

It is amazing how many people who are standing in line would prefer to (one) continue waiting and (two) pay for tickets rather than take free ones and go on in.

I always found someone eventually, but it was always a task. I don't look mean, either...I don't think I do, anyway. :)

Some folks believe nothing in this world is free without a string attached. ... They also don't believe people would ever do a random act of kindness. Still, while I understand that 'tude, at the price of Disney admission I'd take the chance of getting to a turnstyle and being told 'this ticket isn't good'.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a bit of news that I don't think needs its own thread, but apparently the California Grill rehab may take longer than expected due to asbestos (yes, I would have thought they would have been dealt with in 1994, but no!) abatement. So, don't be surprised if it doesn't open until fall ... or later.

the.dreamfinder

I think, ultimately, the reason why I won't give my AP up is I want to be the last Charter APer (one who was actually there from the day they were first sold and not 'grandfathered in' in 1999 because my parents were charters, which is total bull$h&t) alive, so Disney will have to acknowledge what a loyal and great customer I have been. It won't happen ... but it's a nice fantasy.
One day they will...

COProgressFan

I can see the appeal in that. But as you well know, Disney today would rather not have any charter members anymore. Today's TDO is probably annoyed with the very concept.

Swfewrmco

Sooooo, you're complaining that you won't be able to get in for free anymore? Are you saying that Disney is screwing locals because locals deserve free admission?

COProgressFan

Just a bit of news that I don't think needs its own thread, but apparently the California Grill rehab may take longer than expected due to asbestos (yes, I would have thought they would have been dealt with in 1994, but no!) abatement. So, don't be surprised if it doesn't open until fall ... or later.

Interesting. Also surprised that wouldn't have been dealt with during the changeover from Top of the World to Cali Grill, considering it was such an extensive gut and rehab.

culturenthrills

Sooooo, you're complaining that you won't be able to get in for free anymore? Are you saying that Disney is screwing locals because locals deserve free admission?

No, I should have mentioned I am a former AP holder for the last 7 years. I don't know if I would want to be one now due to NextGen and all the other things that will make a spur of the moment trip to WDW a pain in the . Most Ap holders I know including myself don't stay in one park the whole day. The one thing I have always loved about WDW was the ability to park hop and it seems over the last few years Disney has put more roadblocks up to keep this from happening. Many of us only go to the parks for a few hours and it is gonna make that even more of a pain.

Also, due to the size of WDW workforce I am sure there are tens of thousands of locals who get comped into the parks every year by their friends and family and spend alot of money in those parks. So now Disney is just going to make one of the few really good perks they give their cast members more of a pain in the for them to use to get people in.

So Disney can keep doing all this next gen stuff while Universal, SeaWorld and even Legoland keep building new attractions every year for the next few years while WDW wants you to stare at your iphone so hopefully you won't notice all the lack of new cutting edge attractions around you.

tracyandalex

I just went on My Disney Experience online and I had to agree to new/updated terms and conditions for 2 different portions of MDE. For the MM+ portion they did not even say what they were they just had a link to the giant list. I did read the other portion and it was mostly about copyrights and such pertaining to submissions that I make to TWDC and it's affiliates on their various sites.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom