Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Disneyhead'71

I don't think George would like me dead, no. I do think he'd like me muzzled though. Of course, I can play nice too ...

As to his appearance today, since that was a community event where Disney was giving money to charity it only shows he is alive and in Central Florida. Nothing more. When is he giving his first interview to Sue Vongel... I mean Lou Mongello?
I got an interview.

2qv6xrb.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
Jason Garcia has a new article about next-gen and ticket laws...not sure I understand it fully though:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-...-nextgen-ticket-laws-20130329,0,2136300.story

The committee report on the bill is pretty detailed

http://myfloridahouse.org/Sections/...entType=Analysis&BillNumber=1353&Session=2013

The big parts are really forcing broker registration with the state, updating the definitions of a ticket, and putting some muscle behind the penalties.

The finer notes about Disney flipping the disclaimer on multiuse tickets is more academic than customer impacting.

I think this bill is reasonable for customers even tho it's origination is to further protect ticket creators

jt04

Storybook Circus and Oz...
No connection. Not even a blue sky plan.
Nothing but fanboy armchair imagineering.

And perhaps they should consider the possibility. Because the concept would be a home run.

Strangely though, if you look at the original artwork, there was some strange features in the area that everyone could not figure out. Some speculated Alice while others speculated PH. Perhaps some imaginer had a personal secret plan in the works only known to them.

OK, I am moving on.

71jason

Jason Garcia has a new article about next-gen and ticket laws...not sure I understand it fully though:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-...-nextgen-ticket-laws-20130329,0,2136300.story

Here's a link to the bill itself: http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=50731

Mostly aimed at the ticket brokers who hang out in the seedier parts of 192 and I-Drive, but also redefines "ticket" legally as anything an "entertainment area" wants it to be, rather than just a printed piece of paper. Largely a technicality, nothing to do with the Next Gen capabilities of the new tickets.

@JasonGarcia kind of glossed over this, but the bill makes a second conviction for ticket scalping a felony. I know the ticket brokers are a thorn in WDW's side (Universal's as well), but treating scalpers the same as violent criminals seems a bit harsh. I could see some backlash on going that far.

71jason

The finer notes about Disney flipping the disclaimer on multiuse tickets is more academic than customer impacting.

I think it's aimed at trying to strike a balance between a WDW AP--which can be used by one person--and a Magic season ticket, which traditionally has been seen as usable by anyone the ticket owner wants. I think most people see the difference based on tradition and common sense, but it can be hard to capture that in "legalese."

the.dreamfinder

Here's a link to the bill itself: http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=50731@JasonGarcia kind of glossed over this, but the bill makes a second conviction for ticket scalping a felony. I know the ticket brokers are a thorn in WDW's side (Universal's as well), but treating scalpers the same as violent criminals seems a bit harsh. I could see some backlash on going that far.
I believe Leonard Kinsey stated in the Dark Side of Disney that some of these scalpers are connected to organized crime.

They should probably go after the timeshare salesmen.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think it's aimed at trying to strike a balance between a WDW AP--which can be used by one person--and a Magic season ticket, which traditionally has been seen as usable by anyone the ticket owner wants."

?? What is a magic season ticket?

I'm not aware of any tickets Disney sells today that are transferable

MarkTwain

I am not big on niche marketing in the parks. Certainly there are still high-end products available but best to limit that in the theme parks as it is simply not marketable to the 99% (heh). Or 99% of guests.

And with the dawn of internet shopping, the 1% can find what they want online. (heh heh)

See what I did there? :D

Now if you will excuse me I am off to Walmart.

Merchandise was only one small example. One I witnessed on a daily basis at a ride I worked was how Maintenance would be denied entry into a ride to address show quality because Operations didn't want to lose ride count for an hour. Or how a dining facility can't sell the food they want because the people running the dining plan says food must remain below a certain expense to justify free dining. Or how Imagineering can't make the changes they want to a certain DHS icon because marketing is afraid of losing a profitable merchandise image. The different departments of WDW do so much catty in-fighting that they don't have a greater vision for what the resort should be doing.

Alektronic

Merchandise was only one small example. One I witnessed on a daily basis at a ride I worked was how Maintenance would be denied entry into a ride to address show quality because Operations didn't want to lose ride count for an hour. Or how a dining facility can't sell the food they want because the people running the dining plan says food must remain below a certain expense to justify free dining. Or how Imagineering can't make the changes they want to a certain DHS icon because marketing is afraid of losing a profitable merchandise image. The different departments of WDW do so much catty in-fighting that they don't have a greater vision for what the resort should be doing.

Totally agree on that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom