Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not so fast. While I agree that Shel Holtz wasn't paid for the placement of that story per se, the fact he advises Disney on the VERY subject he praised them for and advocated for their strategies is close to the same thing

Something about hand grenades... ;)

Again, we disagree (social media and technology, what a shocker!) ... Everyone here can point out the truth when Merfie calls Holtz out on his lies about the DPB. I would hope that everyone here could agree on that. Now, when you add in the business relationships that are out there and known between the author/publisher and WDW Co., how can anyone say there isn't bias present?

Like I said.. slant.. bias. The problem was Merfie made a specific accusation he got the door slammed on him because he was wrong.. instead of calling out the lack of objectivity and the failure to disclose the business ties impacting that objectivity. He knew it stunk.. but he jumped right past the facts to go for the kill.. and that's where he screwed up. By overstepping he ruined the stuff he did have right..

WDW1974

Original Poster
Similar to the WDI 60th anniversary video where they try to make WDI appear racially diverse and competent while comparing themselves to Walt and the first gen imagineers??

Or similar to any of their vacation planning videos where you almost think James Watt was directing the placement of these things because you always have the black families, the huge Hispanic family gatherings (all wearing the same bright colored tees for their reunion), Grampy having fun playing with his little princesses, the dude in a wheelchair that is so happy he's on MSUSA that he forgets that he'll never walk or feel anything below his waist etc ... it's all slick marketing, but anyone with a clue can see where Disney is casting people based on age, race, handicap etc.

WARNING FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T HANDLE REALITY: STOP READING HERE!!!

BTW, apparently someone VERY high in Burbank wasn't comfortable with the initial PR for MM+ that prominently displayed an African-American familiy wearing their MagicHandcu oops ... I mean MagicProbat... oops, not that one either ... MAGICBands, yep. That's it. They were actually afraid of the way the hand-picked actors looked in the released art, so they went back and took shots of a white family with a much lighter minority family in the background.

I wonder what the next pics will show.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Or similar to any of their vacation planning videos where you almost think James Watt was directing the placement of these things because you always have the black families, the huge Hispanic family gatherings (all wearing the same bright colored tees for their reunion), Grampy having fun playing with his little princesses, the dude in a wheelchair that is so happy he's on MSUSA that he forgets that he'll never walk or feel anything below his waist etc ... it's all slick marketing, but anyone with a clue can see where Disney is casting people based on age, race, handicap etc.

WARNING FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T HANDLE REALITY: STOP READING HERE!!!

BTW, apparently someone VERY high in Burbank wasn't comfortable with the initial PR for MM+ that prominently displayed an African-American familiy wearing their MagicHandcu oops ... I mean MagicProbat... oops, not that one either ... MAGICBands, yep. That's it. They were actually afraid of the way the hand-picked actors looked in the released art, so they went back and took shots of a white family with a much lighter minority family in the background.

I wonder what the next pics will show.

Reality sucks.

Yes, the recent Disney commercials I've seen have been highly targeted to hispanics...nothing wrong with that, just interesting....also interesting that they're still showing them in DL and then claiming its WDW

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's no secret that advertising Revenue is down significantly in print media. And if comapnies see it unwise to advertise in those publications, there must not be the numbers there to support it. So I'm not sure how many moms will read a blurb in the trib, times, etc. and I also think its false to say all stay at home moms are sitting in half million dollar homes (ask the families who find that it works out better for mom to stay home with the kids than having her work to send them to daycare). I doubt Timmy's 30 something mom will check out the NYT app on her iPhone while waiting for school to let out, but she may check out her favorite blog, FB, Twitter to see that one of the mom blogs she follows just posted an awesome review of her trip to Disney.

Ad revenue in print has steadily gone down for years. But that doesn't mean people still aren't getting their news from those sources. Your Mommy example may well have her reading the Times on her iPad while waiting for her kids.

People are still greatly overvaluing blogs and social media in general. No one truly gets the numbers or what they mean, so they make it up as they go along. I admit it's a great career to create and pretend you're smarter than the rest and on the cutting edge of what people really want. It's the same screwed up mentality that allows things like MM+ to even get proposed ... because everyone clearly wants every second of a WDW MAGICal vacation to be planned months ahead. God help the Fl local that decides on Wednesday to take a long weekend at WDW on Friday. But heading off in another direction ...

Even the folks at Disney will tell you social media doesn't equate with real media. Dave Herbst, a former Disney PR man (and a very cool dude as I was lucky enough to know him), had an interview published last year that I linked to in another thread. Sadly, Dave passed away late last year, but he was smart and savvy and his comments on new media are telling.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am late to this part of the discussion but I saw Oz last night... I actually really enjoyed it. I can see how RDJ would be a better fit but Franco wasn't bad. The trailer for Iron Man 3 was awesome, can't wait for that. I wish Disney had those damn rights for WDW... They are capable of some great work with that IP IMO.

I don't assume that Disney will do great work on anything anymore. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised.

That said, I'd look for Iron Man to have a place in HKDL in the near future ... and despite Oz's excellent BO performance this spring, I'm not sure anything will come of it theme park wise, which is a shame.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Saw OZ today. Totally agree Franco was weak. Kept thinking how good it would have been with someone like Robert Downey Jr. as the lead. They needed someone more cocky and arrogant.

They asked me, but I was too busy and the money wasn't that good (it IS still Disney!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Anyone worth their chair in social media already knows about the practice of paying for followers.. and also knows about the simple services you can use to evaluate the legitimacy of someone's followers list.

Agreed ... but celebs have been doing so for quite some time and apparently if it's good enough for celebs, then it's good enough for Disney Lifestylers.

And while companies should be smart enough to realize it's all BS, many don't. Judging by the lack of vetting Disney has done with some of the folks it gets into bed with, I'm betting they look at a number and if someone says they have 43,320 followers than they go with that (even if the real number is closer to 1500).

WDW1974

Original Poster
One letter typo :)

Maybe merf should have gotten some marketing advice before picking his handles... it helps to have names that are easy to pronounce, easy to recall, and if it has to be typed.. not error prone :) i still can try to pronouce that handle without being disconnected/abrupt.

Oh, I don't like his handle. I don't like our old pal Travis's either (bet he doesn't even know that he loaded the Spirit -- NO JOKES!!! -- onto SSE the week before Christmas) ... he had one I could never figure out EPCR... something, something....

But I don't Tweet, just read them for ROTFLMFAO moments!

lazyboy97o

Another way of tracking us and being glued to your IPhone. What a shocker. Let's use your local indoor mall for example. They all have those big directory maps that shows you which stores,etc. are in the mall and where they are located at. Will it simply be in the future that instead of looking at that map you'll essentially be looking down at your smartphone screen with the mall map and your location being shown on there?
Not much of a prediction. Plenty of malls already have apps with the directory. I think the Simon app, if enabled, can even detect which mall you are at so it can show you that directory. It'll be interesting to see how much malls actually try to embrace increased precision because they like distracted and slightly disoriented visitors. They have to walk around more and that means they see more stuff that is for sale.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hey, give him credit! He named his book after @EPCOT Explorer. That's a strong brand!

You gotta admire the spunky little fella (EE, not Merf) ... he has created a whole empire based around 1978 renderings of EPCOT Center in old pubs that he picked up on eBay for money that could have been used for travel, for a WDW or UNI or both AP or for a car. If he keeps it up, pretty soon he'll be like that Crawford dude who is now writing for D23 and possibly penning something for @Eddie Sotto?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Could spirited change bring Tony back for his last rodeo?

While anything is possible, I'd say it's extremely unlikely.

The change going on in Glendale is about removing high level, high tenured, high salaried folks like Tony (and soon Joe and Fitz). I don't see anyone coming in and radically altering the downsizing that is going to decimate that division.

Longhairbear

While anything is possible, I'd say it's extremely unlikely.

The change going on in Glendale is about removing high level, high tenured, high salaried folks like Tony (and soon Joe and Fitz). I don't see anyone coming in and radically altering the downsizing that is going to decimate that division.
Will Thinkwell be sub contracted at some point?

dupac

Saw OZ today. Totally agree Franco was weak. Kept thinking how good it would have been with someone like Robert Downey Jr. as the lead. They needed someone more cocky and arrogant.

I didn't mind Franco. He's cute enough ;). Kunis on the other hand? When I asked the bf what he thought of the movie he said "Mila Kunis was bad." Agreed!

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I don't assume that Disney will do great work on anything anymore. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised.

That said, I'd look for Iron Man to have a place in HKDL in the near future ... and despite Oz's excellent BO performance this spring, I'm not sure anything will come of it theme park wise, which is a shame.

I said they were capable, but that takes a multitude of factors to make it happen. Nothing can be assumed with $DIS nowadays... You know what they say when you assume.

Figments Friend

I am the Spirit.

Lee is a.) Lee, a disgruntled ex-Imagineer; b.) Lee, the man who can belt out Disney showtunes better than anyone here; c.) Lee, the man standing between me and his wife; or d.) Lee, at least two out of the above.

You forgot to add the catagory - e.) Lee, the hillbilly of the south.

I know in the past you have enjoyed referring to him as that, but i have to admit, i have met Lee in person and he sure did not come across as a hillbilly to me. He was a fine gentlemen, possessing a keen wit and far more intelligence then any hillbilly i have come across...but perhaps you know his back woods side better then i was privy too..?

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom