Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Genie of the Lamp

...In its third weekend. Over $300M worldwide and still going. I'd say it qualifies as a hit.

Saw these numbers on Box Office mojo today:
Domestic Total as of Mar. 24, 2013: $177,559,000
Foreign Total as of Mar. 24, 2013:$136,800,000
Total Worldwide: $314,359,000
So it made $5.2 million domestically this week and not sure about Foreign totals for this week. So it's got about $10 mil to go in order to breakeven.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So it made $5.2 million domestically this week and not sure about Foreign totals for this week. So it's got about $10 mil to go in order to breakeven.

More than that.. those numbers are the box office take - not what the studio take is (tho the theatre's take is pretty low). Gotta remember.. the box office number reporting is all about boasting.. not finances :)

Clever Name

OK, you're quoting someone here ... who is it? Not split-personality fish farmer that likes dining on PattyMelts? How about the 'insider' who wasn't (but you had to admire he had game and took quite a while to flame out all on his own)? Can't be one of my pals because they've never even heard the word nor possess the ability to spell it. ... But I know someone else said that ... who?
I have no doubt that you sir, stir your drinks clockwise.

In general, 45 percent of people say they are closer to lower class than upper class. But among those who tend to stir their drinks counterclockwise, 65 percent are closer to lower class than upper class.

Based on a survey of 106 people who tend to stir their drinks counterclockwise and 371 people total.

http://www.correlated.org/717

culturenthrills

More than that.. those numbers are the box office take - not what the studio take is (tho the theatre's take is pretty low). Gotta remember.. the box office number reporting is all about boasting.. not finances :)

Yeah, it still has a way to go to break even but it will and turn a nice profit once all the ancillary stuff(home video, tv, merchandise) etc. but this is the way with most Disney Studio films. Huge bets and when they fail(John Carter) it costs the company alot of money. But that is the most studios are nowadays. Thank god for cable TV where we are in a golden age of dramas cause we sure aren't getting that any more at the movies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

In general, 45 percent of people say they are closer to lower class than upper class. But among those who tend to stir their drinks counterclockwise, 65 percent are closer to lower class than upper class.

Based on a survey of 106 people who tend to stir their drinks counterclockwise and 371 people total.

Very funny stuff. My new favorite site.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You forgot to add the catagory - e.) Lee, the hillbilly of the south.

I know in the past you have enjoyed referring to him as that, but i have to admit, i have met Lee in person and he sure did not come across as a hillbilly to me. He was a fine gentlemen, possessing a keen wit and far more intelligence then any hillbilly i have come across...but perhaps you know his back woods side better then i was privy too..?

:)

I see the above post garnered a 'like' by Lee. That's very rare. Like a George Kalogridis spotting at WDW. I hear it's because he can only type with one finger.

I'd also point out that Lee is often toked up on Pixie Dust when he allows himself to be seen in public, so maybe you didn't get the entire package (dangerous word on a Disney fan site, no doubt)?

I have a permanent suite in his new cabin in the woods, although he somehow missed my demands for a fireplace in the Spirited bathroom.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Yep, I've said it before ... but you are so damn Clever!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yeah, it still has a way to go to break even but it will and turn a nice profit once all the ancillary stuff(home video, tv, merchandise) etc. but this is the way with most Disney Studio films. Huge bets and when they fail(John Carter) it costs the company alot of money. But that is the most studios are nowadays. Thank god for cable TV where we are in a golden age of dramas cause we sure aren't getting that any more at the movies.

It's dumb. You can make a great film for $30 million and a crappy one for $300 million.

The risk is much greater on the $300 million one because you can make $450 million worldwide and still barely break even when all is said and done. That $30 million film makes $100 million and it is a blockbuster in bottom line terms.

Like I said before, I totally question Disney's strategy. Because of current Marvel Mania and early release date, Iron Man 3 will do huge for Disney. But Monsters U and Lone Ranger have questions. And when we get to fall gotta wonder how much of an audience there really will be for Thor 2 and Frozen. All of these films are costing hundreds and hundreds of millions to make and market.

There are no small films on the slate and that really is Disney's strategy going forward. When a film has to make $500 million just to break even (likely very soon for Avengers 2 and Pirates 5 and others ...) and you leave yourself no chances for a nice small film to break through because you're only in the blockbuster or bust business well, that just isn't smart business in show business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom