Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

MattM

I disagree with your disagreement. I guess I'm saying you are wrong, IMHO.

Disney is mico-targeting with Mommy Bloggers. It is buying the hype from social media 'experts' (how anyone can claim to be an expert on something that hasn't even been significant for a decade is another story) that upper middle class mommies who sit home all day in their $526,000 homes, while Daddy works, do all the planning on vacations and,therefore, can influence others. The problem is they don't touch nearly the audience that REAL/Traditional media still does ... and that media is MASS media.

Mommy bloggers may well be very good at influencing their peers, but far more people visit WDW than that demo. Spending $9,000 in a week on a Mommy Blogger and her family from Little Rock is not justifiable under common sense real world terms. A tiny blurb in the Chicago Tribune Travel section will influence more people and across a diverse range.

Oh and someone needs to tell Disney that having a token Hispanic or two and a token African-American and even a Daddy, doesn't change the fact they're going after one demo.

But I need to run ... I'll see you all a little later.

It's no secret that advertising Revenue is down significantly in print media. And if comapnies see it unwise to advertise in those publications, there must not be the numbers there to support it. So I'm not sure how many moms will read a blurb in the trib, times, etc. and I also think its false to say all stay at home moms are sitting in half million dollar homes (ask the families who find that it works out better for mom to stay home with the kids than having her work to send them to daycare). I doubt Timmy's 30 something mom will check out the NYT app on her iPhone while waiting for school to let out, but she may check out her favorite blog, FB, Twitter to see that one of the mom blogs she follows just posted an awesome review of her trip to Disney.

Goofyernmost

It's no secret that advertising Revenue is down significantly in print media. And if comapnies see it unwise to advertise in those publications, there must not be the numbers there to support it. So I'm not sure how many moms will read a blurb in the trib, times, etc. and I also think its false to say all stay at home moms are sitting in half million dollar homes (ask the families who find that it works out better for mom to stay home with the kids than having her work to send them to daycare). I doubt Timmy's 30 something mom will check out the NYT app on her iPhone while waiting for school to let out, but she may check out her favorite blog, FB, Twitter to see that one of the mom blogs she follows just posted an awesome review of her trip to Disney.
It also comes under the heading of: If mama's happy, everyone's happy! ;)

PhotoDave219

I disagree with your disagreement. I guess I'm saying you are wrong, IMHO.

Disney is mico-targeting with Mommy Bloggers. It is buying the hype from social media 'experts' (how anyone can claim to be an expert on something that hasn't even been significant for a decade is another story) that upper middle class mommies who sit home all day in their $526,000 homes, while Daddy works, do all the planning on vacations and,therefore, can influence others. The problem is they don't touch nearly the audience that REAL/Traditional media still does ... and that media is MASS media.

Mommy bloggers may well be very good at influencing their peers, but far more people visit WDW than that demo. Spending $9,000 in a week on a Mommy Blogger and her family from Little Rock is not justifiable under common sense real world terms. A tiny blurb in the Chicago Tribune Travel section will influence more people and across a diverse range.

Oh and someone needs to tell Disney that having a token Hispanic or two and a token African-American and even a Daddy, doesn't change the fact they're going after one demo.

But I need to run ... I'll see you all a little later.

But if you give a mommy blogger from Lake Mary a $20 dollar goodie bag and "exclusive access"......

Snowflake82

Yesterday at work I had a podcast playing - an interview with the new president of the Themed Entertainment Association. I was using it for background noise, not paying full attention, but several mentions of the term "next gen" caught my attention. I realized the she was using the term in a discussion about educating and mentoring students who will become the next generation of themed entertainment designers. How ironic, that's what next gen means to her, but over at Disney, without whom such a career would likely not even exist, the term "next gen" means data mining the heck out of the customer and figuring out more efficient ways of separating them from their money.

Genie of the Lamp

I am late to this part of the discussion but I saw Oz last night... I actually really enjoyed it. I can see how RDJ would be a better fit but Franco wasn't bad. The trailer for Iron Man 3 was awesome, can't wait for that. I wish Disney had those damn rights for WDW... They are capable of some great work with that IP IMO.

Yeah Oz exceeded my expectations, but it deserves no higher than a C+ grade and that's being generous. Franco was bad dude. Besides a couple of the scenes he had with China Girl, I felt for the most part his material was weak and forced. Yeah it would be nice if WDW were able to use Marvel in their parks, but I'd perfer other IP's/lesser known characters they have as opposed to Iron Man (but I'd take that too). But anyhow back to NG, when can we expect the next rollout group testing for MM+/magic bands? I know they already did one for a sample group that stayed at the AKL.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Yeah Oz exceeded my expectations, but it deserves no higher than a C+ grade and that's being generous. Franco was bad dude. Besides a couple of the scenes he had with China Girl, I felt for the most part his material was weak and forced. Yeah it would be nice if WDW were able to use Marvel in their parks, but I'd perfer other IP's/lesser known characters they have as opposed to Iron Man (but I'd take that too). But anyhow back to NG, when can we expect the next rollout group testing for MM+/magic bands? I know they already did one for a sample group that stayed at the AKL.

Saw OZ today. Totally agree Franco was weak. Kept thinking how good it would have been with someone like Robert Downey Jr. as the lead. They needed someone more cocky and arrogant.

ParentsOf4

Saw OZ today. Totally agree Franco was weak. Kept thinking how good it would have been with someone like Robert Downey Jr. as the lead. They needed someone more cocky and arrogant.
My twin teenage DDs went to Oz yesterday. They and their friends didn't like it. Somebody must be loving it though because it's doing well at the box office.

Cody5242

My twin teenage DDs went to Oz yesterday. They and their friends didn't like it. Somebody must be loving it though because it's doing well at the box office.
Best movie I've seen so far this year but I'm sure that will change. Most teenagers love movies with non stop action. Most of my friends in school think Transformers 2 & 3 are the greatest movies on earth...

Cosmic Commando

If you're gonna have a giant movie, you need a real actor to carry it. To my dying days, I will swear that John Carter would've been worlds better with Christian Bale in the lead instead of Taylor Kitsch.

ThemeParks4Life

...In its third weekend. Over $300M worldwide and still going. I'd say it qualifies as a hit.

Well duh :p
Best movie I've seen so far this year but I'm sure that will change. Most teenagers love movies with non stop action. Most of my friends in school think Transformers 2 & 3 are the greatest movies on earth...

Get them to see different movies. Fast.

ParentsOf4

My DDs are more of the Twilight, Hunger Games, Princess Diaries, The Devil Wears Prada types.

Definitely not the Transformers types.

They went to the movie because pretty much everything else at the theater was either R or G rated. I'm beginning to wonder if Oz's success was about timing, not the movie itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom