Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
A friend saw it yesterday and said it was much better than a lot of the reviews give it credit for.

I have to agree with your friend. I saw it earlier today and thought it was entertaining. I found that while many of the criticisms were somewhat based on truths, they were definitely exaggerated, in my opinion. It's not the most amazing story, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as some of the reviews I've read/heard claim.

Goofyernmost

My mom's thoughts upon seeing it in December were similar.

But I liked my dad's reaction when he got off The Little Mermaid and said ''it's great if you're a 4-year-old girl.''
Thankfully, I, apparently, am a 4 year old girl. My grown children, that call me Dad, will probably go into shock over that revelation, but, I thought it was well done and pretty much what I expected. Certainly better than anything else that has gone in there in the last two or three years. After all those years of neglect, baby steps are better then no steps at all.

Genie of the Lamp

So when do we think NextGen will be fully rolled out by and we can start getting new attractions again?

I put a bet/guess in and said that NG will be fully rolled out by late spring-early summer of next year right off the opening of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. So that's what I'll say but I probably will be wrong. New attractions on the other hand might be more diffucult to answer. That's not to say stuff is coming to WDW as you can see in @wdwmagic upcoming projects/rumors thread. So we shouldn't rule out the possibility that Carsland minus Luigi's gets announced at D23 or we hear news/more news on Avatarland/Pandora (still see it happening even if it's troubled/in delay) and see more conept art of it. But again, Disney(TDO more specifically) is pulling themselves out of the attractions business and declaring that they are in the "guest experience" business. If you need proof, watch the NFL pre opening day media event video and you'll find Tom Staggs reiterate/reinforce that statement. But I'll be an opptomist and say that new attractions will be coming left by the end of the decade with a SWL at DHS and that Epcot Project Spirit mentioned that's moving forward.

jdmdisney99

I put a bet/guess in and said that NG will be fully rolled out by late spring-early summer of next year right off the opening of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. So that's what I'll say but I probably will be wrong. New attractions on the other hand might be more diffucult to answer. That's not to say stuff is coming to WDW as you can see in @wdwmagic upcoming projects/rumors thread. So we shouldn't rule out the possibility that Carsland minus Luigi's gets announced at D23 or we hear news/more news on Avatarland/Pandora (still see it happening even if it's troubled/in delay) and see more conept art of it. But again, Disney(TDO more specifically) is pulling themselves out of the attractions business and declaring that they are in the "guest experience" business. If you need proof, watch the NFL pre opening day media event video and you'll find Tom Staggs reiterate/reinforce that statement. But I'll be an opptomist and say that new attractions will be coming left by the end of the decade with a SWL at DHS and that Epcot Project Spirit mentioned that's moving forward.
You see, it is disappointing to think about sometimes. The great empire that built EPCOT CENTER, a WHOLE ENTIRE THEME PARK, in 3 years is taking the same amount of time to build a D-ticket roller coaster in SDMT. But my hope is that the youngins on this website (specifically us commons at the Imagineering forum) will be over to bring the imagination division of the Walt Disney Company back into focus and enforce a strong management base to keep all areas of the Disney Parks up to par, and keep the Disney name above all others.

Genie of the Lamp

You see, it is disappointing to think about sometimes. The great empire that built EPCOT CENTER, a WHOLE ENTIRE THEME PARK, in 3 years is taking the same amount of time to build a D-ticket roller coaster in SDMT. But my hope is that the youngins on this website (specifically us commons at the Imagineering forum) will be over to bring the imagination division of the Walt Disney Company back into focus and enforce a strong management base to keep all areas of the Disney Parks up to par, and keep the Disney name above all others.

I'm 19 going on 20. Does that count me as a youngin?;) But yeah that's what Lasseter is trying to accomplish now in looking for new, younger, and more creative Imagineers for WDI. However, I do think they're some pretty talented younger Imagineers now like Michel Den Dulk who I think has the greatest potential to be the Next Gen Baxter since he is a Baxter found prodigy. We just need upper management to keep giving Imagineers more money/proper budgets to let them go about business as usual. I definitely want you to become a Imagineer cause clearly you understand what it means to become an effective Imagineer.:) Me I just want to become a Resort Manager be it at one of the WDW Resorts or Uni Resorts.

Magenta Panther

I'm going to see the Oz movie tomorrow. And in 3D, although I seldom splurge for that. But a friend of mine saw the movie Thursday and said the 3D was both well-done AND well-used, which is rare from my point of view.

Nothing, of course, can even match the 1939 film. That was just one of those once-in-a-lifetime (lullaby?) occurrences, where the right people, the right story and the right music came together to create something extraordinary. (Of course, Walt did that several times during his days here on Earth). But maybe, who knows, Warner Bros. and Disney will get together and create a great ride based on both films. Stranger things have happened...

Animaniac93-98

I just saw Oz and it is better than I thought it would have been, though of course far from perfect. If you do go see it, make sure it's in 3D.

I really hope it stays big at the BO. Oz has so much potential for a theme park land.

stlphil

Just a small correction for you. The "great empire" that built EPCOT Center had only a tiny fraction of the power and resources of today's TWDC.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
That will be a very successful opening if it holds out (and beats my prediction by $11 million).
Didn't someone here say it would open to $25 million?

A friend saw it yesterday and said it was much better than a lot of the reviews give it credit for.

The science behind these projections is pretty solid. 80 mill is pretty much happening. Igers gambling pays off.

Cosmic Commando

I guess its blasphemy around these parts but I have never seen one minute of any Tron movie.....dont think I ever will. I loved Star Wars 4,5 and 6 but never watched 1,2 and 3. Will I go see 7? I guess I will wait and see when it finally comes out.
The best part of the whole franchise is the art direction. If you're familiar with the Tron "look", then you know all you really need to know.

Iger is just continuing what Michael started.

His greatest success is in what he has bought and brought under the Disney name (Pixar, Marvel, Lucas).

But he really hasn't fixed any of the fundamental problems that existed under Eisner beyond mending fences with Pixar's braintrust.
Is that really the worst thing? Those acquisitions are all going to set the company up to make gobs and gobs of money for the next 50+ years, and I think the problems with Bob Iger's TWDC are mostly fixable. I see it as certain parts of the company have been in sort of a holding pattern while making these big purchases. There's no reason something like the studio can't start cranking out more of its own creative content in two years when Iger is gone. There's no reason the next CEO can't have a different vision for WDW... one with new, quality rides. Like I've said before, they have to get back to building rides in WDW sometime in the mid-term future anyway because even if NextGen is wildly successful, Disney has to feed the Wall St beast with more revenue growth. Let's say NextGen increases per guest per day spending from $100 to $200 (crazy increase, but just an example). It's only going to do that once. In 2016 or so, your per guest spending will be $200 and it will be flat after that without other expansion because NextGen is already doing its thing. Say WDW is pulling $200 per day from 45 million people in 2016. Do you think Wall St will be happy with that same $200 per day from 45 million people in 2020, even though it was a meteoric increase from the circa 2012 numbers that would've taken decades to achieve through nickel-and-dime 1-2% annual increases? Nope. They're going to want $200 per day from 50 million people. Look at the griping about Apple. It's not dominant, but there is definitely an undercurrent of complaints that it's been a whole five years (omg) since Apple has completely revolutionized its industry. Let that sink in for a moment. If you have a truly transformative product like the iPhone, all of a sudden people expect you to have once-in-a-lifetime ideas every few years. It doesn't matter if you're one of the most valuable companies in the world: if you can make $1B, you should be able to make $2B. If you can make $2B, you should be making $4B next year.

PhotoDave219

I have to agree with your friend. I saw it earlier today and thought it was entertaining. I found that while many of the criticisms were somewhat based on truths, they were definitely exaggerated, in my opinion. It's not the most amazing story, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as some of the reviews I've read/heard claim.

I wasn't exaggerating my criticisms. James Franco's acting was flat and rather unbelievable for a fast-talking carnival magician.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom