Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Witchy Chick

Just watched an interesting interview with Joe Mason, the author of a book called 'Bankrupt at Birth' ... it's all about how child identity theft (yes, you read that right) is on the rise and what a problem it is becoming.

Again, much of this is due to the tech explosion and needing to give your child's social security numbers via computers/IT for all sorts of things that are supposed to protect said child.

Made me interested in buying the book.

I think the only place I've ever provided my kids' SSNs has been to open their bank accounts. Standard forms for them (and even me) asking for SSN (i.e. routine physical at my doc's; do you need my SSN for??) I only provide last 4. It's a good "habit" to get into for those concerned with ID theft.

If my doc can't bill my insurance appropriately just off my policy number, they clearly are not bright enough to be having access to my SSN as well.

the.dreamfinder

I wasn't exaggerating my criticisms. James Franco's acting was flat and rather unbelievable for a fast-talking carnival magician.
http://www.npr.org/2013/03/07/173732839/oz-neither-great-nor-powerful
It's not that Franco is bad. He doesn't risk enough to be bad. My guess is that with all his stammers and shrugs opposite actors playing it straight, he's trying to be a cowardly hipster, like Bob Hope in the Road pictures — or Woody Allen, who actually cited Hope as an inspiration, in Sleeper.

But Franco doesn't have the jokes. He's playing a noncommittal character in a noncommittal way, so that he sort of floats above the role. You want to yell, "This isn't a performance-art project! You're carrying a movie!"

alphac2005

How does an $80 million dollar opening weekend "pay off" a production budget of $215 million?

I used to be in the industry and the box office numbers were something basically kept to the industry dailies along with the obvious internal data coming across desks each morning. Now, people handicap movies based on ticket numbers. Let alone the fact that most have no clue how it actually all works, how the revenue is divided, and what the studios are actually making on a picture. It's just annoying to always hear the chatter of what a darn film is making.

As for the above, in the past, an opening that high would have a great trajectory because the week to week falloff wouldn't be nearly as high as it is today, but the film cycle is shorter*. International numbers will be interesting, but people don't seem to understand that if a film even makes twice the amount as domestic, which is actually U.S. and Canada, the margins on INTL are much smaller after all the pieces of the pie being distributed. But who am I to say? The armchair quarterbacks that never had anything to do with the business know everything online today. ;)

* - It should be noted that Horn at Disney still doesn't believe in the shorter theater to Blu-ray/DVD market. We'll see if that changes over time.

Bolna

International numbers will be interesting, but people don't seem to understand that if a film even makes twice the amount as domestic, which is actually U.S. and Canada, the margins on INTL are much smaller after all the pieces of the pie being distributed.

International number will indeed be interesting. While Oz might be a household term in the US, here in Germany a lot of people don't have a clue what it is as the Wizard of Oz is not well known here at all. I first heard about it as a teenager from some American friends and until this day have never seen the film. So at least here - and possibly in quite a few other countries - the film can't rely on people going to see the new film because of that nostalgia factor and the curiosity of what they did with something people loved in their childhood.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I wasn't exaggerating my criticisms. James Franco's acting was flat and rather unbelievable for a fast-talking carnival magician.

Uh...OK...Notice I said "in my opinion." In my opinion, many of the criticisms are exaggerated. Clearly you're more than welcome to have your own.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'll give you that; its a visually stunning masterpiece in the land that was created. Its pretty to look at, its just that the acting & story detracted from it so much.
The above opinion is what I think about Avatar. Pretty to look at, but story and acting was not that great.

Haven't seen Oz yet, but I agree that your opinion exactly described my feelings on Avatar.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
How does an $80 million dollar opening weekend "pay off" a production budget of $215 million?

Well, if they pulled the movie from theaters today, it wouldn't. But with a huge Saturday jump, and a solid B+ cinema score. The road ahead looks fairly bright. Add to that the fact that their is no family film competition this week and weekend, it looks like it will have a great hold. All signs are pointing to this gamble paying off. Oz had the 3rd biggest March opening of all time. And launched to 150 mil worldwide.

I don't like Iger's tent pole/franchises only strategy. But, in this case, they have a winner.

Funmeister

Opening weekends are great to create buzz, but is the longevity through weeks four, five and beyond that determine real success. Hopefully it can keep its momentum and justify more movies and dare I say...theme park attractions/lands?

MUTZIE77

I have to agree with you here, I never believed Franco as Oz from the moment I saw him. Also someone else noted Mila Kunis's acting, which I will agree with as well. All in all it was a very entertaining film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom