Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

misterID

The film was hurt when Robert Downey Jr. dropped out. Even though the script wasn't great, I thought his ad libs and improv would have really been fantastic here :(

Cody5242

I thought James Franco was great. Not sure what all the criticism is about. If anyone that underperformed it was Mila Kunis. She had too much on her shoulders and wasn't scary at all

Magenta Panther

I saw the Oz film today, and was overall pleased with it. I've written a review of it: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ul-well-what-do-you-know.861332/#post-5363137

I thought James Franco was fine. He's no Frank Morgan, but one couldn't expect that, I suppose. (I agree that Depp or Downey would have been better choices). To me the weakest actor was Michelle Williams as Glinda - she was bland, and lacked sparkle. And I really didn't care for the romance angle, or the trumped-up tale of how the Wicked Witch of the West came to be. But the movie was a lot better than I expected it to be, just the same. And I even liked (no, loved) the 3D. Definitely worth the price of admission. Not as good as the original, of course, but not anywhere near as bad as Wonderland, thank goodness.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Magenta Panther

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Now lets predict how much you guys think OZ will make at the end of its run! I predict $220 domestically and with $750 million worldwide

That seems like a pretty good guess. About 75% of what Alice did in total which is in line with what the opening weekend was. Just to make a different guess I'll say a little higher at $275M domestic and $900M worldwide. Not going to hit the $1B mark though.

Cody5242

That seems like a pretty good guess. About 75% of what Alice did in total which is in line with what the opening weekend was. Just to make a different guess I'll say a little higher at $275M domestic and $900M worldwide. Not going to hit the $1B mark though.
I can see this film doing that well abroad. Chinas market is huge now

Cody5242

I feel bad for Warner Brothers with the boxoffice bust that is jack and the giant slayer. That might end up being the second biggest bomb of all time behind John Carter

The Empress Lilly

@flynnibus said it would and I called him out on this prediction but I don't want to turn this into a whole I told you so thing :)
You didn't call him out, you called him an idiot, repeatedly.

For any told you so's, you therefore have to show Flynn is an idiot, not that Oz made eighty million. Good luck with that, considering Flynn is an intelligent, well-respected poster.

I know it is none of my business, but wouldn't you agree that the mature thing to do is to issue an apology instead of running around 'triumphantly'?

jt04

Well, looks like my $69 million was accurate ... for international BO. Seems it did hit the $80 million domestically.

Those numbers are HUGE for time of year and film.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/03/10/oz-has-powerful-opening/?mod=google_news_blog

The time was right to reboot this story and a proper treatment would have made a billion dollars globally (at least) and launched a franchise similar to Pirates.

Still time to do just that. But Star Wars is likely the priority now.

the.dreamfinder

I don't see why it's a problem, it's a fine movie. :shrug:
It's not necessarily the movie itself, but the underlying philosophy at the studio that created it. Disney studios almost exclusively do tent pole films, big budget films that have to triple their budget and marketing to be considered successful. This puts undue pressure on the studio to absolutely have every film to be a hit to get by. The problem is that not every film is a Avengers or Toy Story 3 and under this tentpole only model, that's failure. Disney does not need to do this, they aren't some tiny company where you live and die by the BO. One of Disney's greatest periods of box office success was during the mid-late 80's and 90's where the studio relied mostly on singles and doubles, lots of smaller budget films targeted at a variety of groups, and a handful of big budget productions like Roger Rabbit or Aladdin or Beauty and the Beast. If Oz, The Great and Powerful existed in that context, then the criticism would potentially be smaller. Unfortunately for the time being, we don't live in that world.

Spirited change will come... hopefully soon...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom