Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

Goofyernmost

I'll be turning 65 this year. Over the last 4 months every insurance company on the planet, some I've heard of, some completely unknown to me, have sent me information on Medicare supplement insurance. I'm flattered, I never knew so many people were concerned about my upcoming birthday. I feel so special. I've apparently touched many lives. :)

dhall

I'll be turning 65 this year. Over the last 4 months every insurance company on the planet, some I've heard of, some completely unknown to me, have sent me information on Medicare supplement insurance. I'm flattered, I never knew so many people were concerned about my upcoming birthday. I feel so special. I've apparently touched many lives. :)

I've started getting lots of material from AARP and from companies claiming to be associated, which I assume must be misaddressed since I'm not going to be able to retire anytime soon.

Lee

Adventurer
If Oz does big business what impact does it have for the parks again (any, not WDW really)? I forgot how strong/realistic the rumours were.
There is an Oz concept for DL that could be put into motion. Nothing for WDW that I know of.

Also, the sequel is already in active development, so the studio must be fairly confident of a good performance. Current tracking has it coming in somewhere in the mid-$70m for the weekend.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just for bleeps and giggles? I like the guy OK, but he does single handedly make the entire board move at such a pace that I actually ignored him a couple of times, just so I could see was being talked about (then un-ignored, since his posts didn't bother me just the rapid fire speed). I think if he posts at his original pace he might be able to do it in a week. He did slow down a bit over time. Also, I have a memory of some kind of banning? Is that a false memory? Drama can fly right by me and my interest in it is less than many so I am very often wrong about such things.

The boards move at an absurd pace on some threads as is. While there was some fine potty humour, I question the need for 38 pages on Tangled toilets.

A lot of us made fun of the buffoons asking questions at the Shareholders meeting, but how do we as a community look when we focus on small crap and not focus on the big picture?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Though there was a lot of banning happening around that time, he wasn't one of them.
His exile is self-imposed.

He really should make a triumphant return, even if only for a limited time.
(Not that he's reading this or anything...)

I have tried to convince him of this, but (like many of my/our 'fans') he'd rather Tweet to a flock instead of the messy world of going back and forth with people who may not see things like you do -- some who may not grasp basic concepts or reality!

And guess who's coming to dinner? GFC4EVER.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I didn't get that, else he would've been banned along with the rest of the...ummm....damn, I hate to say it....malcontents.
(Apologies)

I saw it more like he was grounded and sent to his room and just never came out. Just stayed in there...tweeting.

Let's just say the situation wasn't handled properly by numerous parties, but EE never meant any harm to this site or anyone on it. He just went to a place to vent about some of what went on here ... very little difference from say going to the PML here and taking shots at members who aren't premium members. Not that that ever happens!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yup - you aren't anonymous once you start sharing your info with others. And while the government could in theory make it illegal to share your data with others without your permission.. I find it highly unlikely you would ever reach a point where it would be illegal for companies to collect that data themselves.

The best you can do right now is force companies with your dollars to implement and adhere to better privacy standards.

Hiding yourself from a company I think is futile - but countering the idea that you should be a commodity that can be resold is worthwhile fight IMO.

True. It just would have been nice if privacy concerns were addressed ... oh, I dunno ... say back in the 1990s when the Internet age began and before the wholesale distrubution of data was allowed. It would be impossible to go back and undo all the damage that's been done.

But forcing companies to behave responsibly now -- and putting REAL teeth behind laws -- would be a good start.

Goofyernmost

I've started getting lots of material from AARP and from companies claiming to be associated, which I assume must be misaddressed since I'm not going to be able to retire anytime soon.
You don't have to be retired all you have to do is reach the BIG 5 - 0! If you are that, don't let vanity get in your way. AARP offers many benefits including a major savings in car and home owners insurance. You might be throwing money away with your pride. :D

WDW1974

Original Poster
Have you ever "googled" your name and city. It's amazing how much information is freely floating around out there, let alone information that can be purchased!

Yep. Although the smartest people out there and many of the most important folks on the planet have little to NO digital footprint.

Now, what do you think they know that we don't?

WDW1974

Original Poster
There is an Oz concept for DL that could be put into motion. Nothing for WDW that I know of.

Also, the sequel is already in active development, so the studio must be fairly confident of a good performance. Current tracking has it coming in somewhere in the mid-$70m for the weekend.

There is no Oz concept for WDW. And one wonder what extent DL's is at since it was a Baxter project and Oz has always been a love of his.

As for sequels, until they happen, they don't mean a lot. ... Fanbois keep talking about Tron 3. I'll believe that when Disney lowers prices on food!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yep. Although the smartest people out there and many of the most important folks on the planet have little to NO digital footprint.

Now, what do you think they know that we don't?

This is a simple concept that predates the internet... when you do everything via proxy (aka hired help) your exposure and amount of info shared will always be less. Some do it for secrecy.. much today happens simply as a byproduct of having your 'assistant' do everything.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
The boards move at an absurd pace on some threads as is. While there was some fine potty humour, I question the need for 38 pages on Tangled toilets.

A lot of us made fun of the buffoons asking questions at the Shareholders meeting, but how do we as a community look when we focus on small crap and not focus on the big picture?

I would have disagreed with you before the Tangled Potty thread. That was nuts.....Unfortunately, there were good posts, observations, and witticisms that were lost in that pile of crap. I'd argue the fact that thread moved along with such vitriol shows that something is wrong at WDW. I believe you noted that only at WDW would this area get any attention at all.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This is a simple concept that predates the internet... when you do everything via proxy (aka hired help) your exposure and amount of info shared will always be less. Some do it for secrecy.. much today happens simply as a byproduct of having your 'assistant' do everything.

While that is surely true with the wealthiest folks, I know of many other very important individuals that don't have a digital footprint. No FB. No Twitter. No smartphone. No loyalty programs that require email etc.

The point is, though, that these individuals realize how damaging and dangerous putting one's entire life on display for the world can be.

Many don't get that ... and posts on FB cost jobs and relationships ... sometimes it breeds violence and stalking (the real kind, not the 'WDW1974 reads my Tweets that I put out to the world' kind) ... sometimes things that seem innocuous wind up down the road in court cases etc.

Every keystroke you type is recorded ...the only question is who if anyone has access and is paying attention and what their end game is if they are.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The point is, though, that these individuals realize how damaging and dangerous putting one's entire life on display for the world can be.

Maybe.. and in the past people have lived like hermits in the past for similar fears :)

Many people believe there is some level of privacy online - and it comes back to haunt them when they do stupid things. If one remembers everything you ever do is forever, and will be seen by everyone.. then one sets the correct expectation of behavior and what you post or share.

the.dreamfinder

http://www.slashfilm.com/interview-...rful-sequels-disneyland-shooting-3d-and-more/
Peter Sciretta: Working in that environment, when you’re developing the film, is there any eye to “We need something in there that might, if this film is successful, become a theme park ride” or anything like that? Or is that just an afterthought?

Sam Raimi: They are very careful at Disney. They didn’t force me to think of the movie like that. They just wanted me to make the best movie, but it’s not to say that Sean Bailey didn’t take me out to a dinner with the head of Disney’s Imagineers and say “What ideas do you have for the park if it were successful?” “How about a bubble ride…” They wanted to know “What environments are special, what should we be thinking about?” I said, “Well Whimsy Woods is really interesting.” I described the environment and showed them pictures. “Glenda’s Kingdom is quite beautiful, maybe if you ever did something…” They listened to me. Obviously they have their own ideas, but they wanted to hear what I had to say and probably if they ever made a sequel, they would invest in something like that. I don’t think they would ever do it, I was told, on a first picture.

HMF

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom