Spirited News & Observations II -- NGE/Baxter

HMF

True. It just would have been nice if privacy concerns were addressed ... oh, I dunno ... say back in the 1990s when the Internet age began and before the wholesale distrubution of data was allowed. It would be impossible to go back and undo all the damage that's been done.

But forcing companies to behave responsibly now -- and putting REAL teeth behind laws -- would be a good start.
I don't know, I am starting to think (more accurately, fear) that this kinda thing is becoming ineveitable.

Cody5242

There is no Oz concept for WDW. And one wonder what extent DL's is at since it was a Baxter project and Oz has always been a love of his.

As for sequels, until they happen, they don't mean a lot. ... Fanbois keep talking about Tron 3. I'll believe that when Disney lowers prices on food!
I agree with the whole Tron 3 not happening. The tv show did poorly so that right there should prove there isn't too big of a fan base for Tron anymore or a big enough one for another $250 million sequel

John

I guess its blasphemy around these parts but I have never seen one minute of any Tron movie.....dont think I ever will. I loved Star Wars 4,5 and 6 but never watched 1,2 and 3. Will I go see 7? I guess I will wait and see when it finally comes out.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Maybe.. and in the past people have lived like hermits in the past for similar fears :)

Many people believe there is some level of privacy online - and it comes back to haunt them when they do stupid things. If one remembers everything you ever do is forever, and will be seen by everyone.. then one sets the correct expectation of behavior and what you post or share.

I'm not suggesting anyone live like a hermit. Some folks (I'd place you in that group) would likely die if they didn't have a 'net connection available 24/7.

What I am stating is that some of the world's smartest and most powerful and successful people opt to not use things like smartphones, social networking sites or even email and computers.

They seem to implicitly understand the fact that technology and protections for privacy/security haven't grown together at the same time.

Now, do I care that a post on MAGIC can be seen forever? No. But do I care that my email communications will never cease to exist? Do I care that every search I have ever done will forever be recorded? Do I care that every financial transaction I ever used a computer for will exist forever?

Hell, yeah.

And it shouldn't be either don't use the devices/tech or give up your privacy forever. That's basically what we have now.

WDW1974

Original Poster
"Meanwhile, Iger continued to rise at ABC. After Disney bought the network in 1996, Iger became Disney Chairman Michael Eisner’s heir apparent"
That oughta dispel the fan contingent that insists that Iger was made CEO to "fix Eisner's mistakes".

Iger is just continuing what Michael started.

His greatest success is in what he has bought and brought under the Disney name (Pixar, Marvel, Lucas).

But he really hasn't fixed any of the fundamental problems that existed under Eisner beyond mending fences with Pixar's braintrust.

WDW1974

Original Poster
And we know skipper John and Co helped turn around WDAS. So what's Iger good for then??

He's been good at acquistions. By buying Pixar and its braintrust, he was able to get WDFA on solid footing (look at any films they've put out in the last five years versus the 5-6 years prior).

And, of course, he's good for the price of the stock, which was at an all-time high last I checked.

That doesn't mean he has my belief or support. I am just being fair and clearly he has done some great things. Just feel like in Michael's final years, it is time for him to go. And his replacement MUST come from outside the company. They need new non-Disney blood with vision.

david10225

Current tracking has it coming in somewhere in the mid-$70m for the weekend.

Saw Oz with 5 members of my family for my birthday last night. IMAX 3D Version. I liked the movie, but it was about 15-20 minutes too long. Too many scenes showing OZ in all its "glory". If you haven't seen it, when the wizard first arrives in OZ...all I could think of was the Zip A Dee Doo number from Song of the South. All these years have passed and those initial scenes played the same.

Figments Friend

There are things I would like to say to Bruce Vaughn that I cannot say on this board or polite company for that matter.
-
I think a few of us here would have some choice words to say.
I know i do....but i also know that time reveals all truths.

Think about this:

50 years from now, who will be most remembered for their works?

Is this the undercurrant to all the hatred that has grown between certain individuals...simple jealously?

What enrichment, besides material wealth and money, has been accomplished in the long run?

When i start getting angry about what happened....i like to console myself with this comforting thought.

Right at this very moment at a Disney Theme Park somewhere in the world, thousands of people are experiencing, enjoying, and perhaps even being inspired by something that was the direct result of Tony Baxter*s creative efforts.

That will continue for many years to come, regardless of company politics. That legacy will continue entertain, delight, and enlighten. Years from now people who are interested in the history of the Parks and the attractions within will learn about that skinny college kid who had a dream and what drove him to pursue his ends.

You can remove the oak tree, but the acorns buried hidden in the ground will continue to sprout and grow...no matter how many people try to stamp them down.

:)

Figments Friend

A WDI edition of Jerry Springer would be sooo entertaining.
-
( laughs and falls out of chair)

Oh man.....they would need a week long series.
No, make it a tv movie ! It has everything you need - Drama, Mystery, Betrayal, Realtionships Gone Sour, ....

Ouch..i hurt myself falling on the floor laughing about this.
Thanks for that, i needed a good laugh.

:D

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just watched an interesting interview with Joe Mason, the author of a book called 'Bankrupt at Birth' ... it's all about how child identity theft (yes, you read that right) is on the rise and what a problem it is becoming.

Again, much of this is due to the tech explosion and needing to give your child's social security numbers via computers/IT for all sorts of things that are supposed to protect said child.

Made me interested in buying the book.

Cody5242

That will be a very successful opening if it holds out (and beats my prediction by $11 million).
Didn't someone here say it would open to $25 million?

A friend saw it yesterday and said it was much better than a lot of the reviews give it credit for.
@flynnibus said it would and I called him out on this prediction but I don't want to turn this into a whole I told you so thing :)

WDWFigment

Just watched an interesting interview with Joe Mason, the author of a book called 'Bankrupt at Birth' ... it's all about how child identity theft (yes, you read that right) is on the rise and what a problem it is becoming.

Again, much of this is due to the tech explosion and needing to give your child's social security numbers via computers/IT for all sorts of things that are supposed to protect said child.

Made me interested in buying the book.

There is a serious problem with child identity theft in this country, and I suspect it is only going to be worse. Not just because of the ease of obtaining private personal data, but because the FTC is absolutely worthless when it comes to doing anything about child identity theft.

I was involved with a case where the non-custodial grandmother (both parents were out of the picture) of a minor applied for multiple credit cards using the minor's social security number and racked up $40,000+ in debt. The custodial grandparents found out about a default judgment against the minor to collect on a delinquent account just by chance.

They contacted the prosecutor, who didn't do anything about it, so they came to us. I first contacted the FTC to see what might be done short of civil litigation. The FTC's solution, in essence, was just to file a meaningless/teethless report and contact the 3 credit reporting agencies and get them to correct the problem. None of the 3 agencies would do anything without a court order.

For lack of better options, we ended up filing suit and immediately sought summary judgment. It was easily won, but it should have never come to that in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom