Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
So resort guests will not be allowed to use cash for purchases, or they cannot pay for their hotel in advance?

No, guests will be able to pay with cash, but for purchases and hotels.

But the model of control is very similar to a cashless cruise ship model where you basically are tracked via your cabin card all over the ship (obviously much smaller than a sprawling resort like WDW).

WDW1974

Original Poster
WDW74, If I book a villa at my WL DVC but don't buy any park tickets, I'm assuming Next Gen will know even though I never got a Disney Handcuff and target me anyway.

Yes. You will still have an RFID embedded Key to the World card and if you don't enter the parks, Disney will simply monitor your movements around the WL and any other resorts you go to and DD. ... You'll wind up with surveys asking why you didn't go to the parks and offers tailored to get you back into them $399 PAPs for DVCers anyone?

People need to put the bracelet aside because what matters is the RFID and readers/trackers that are all over property.

They may not be able to follow you to SW (although with iPhones, they sorta could), but they'll know you left after spending $31.89 at Roaring Fork (and exactly what you ordered) at 9:41 a.m. and that you didn't return to the resort until 8:57 p.m. after which you bought one DVC pin down at the gift shop (can't recall the name at my fave resort, which tells me I really need bed) and that you then entered the laundry room at 9:43 p.m., while your family was out in the pool. And that finally you ended the night with a nice glass of mid-level red wine at the Territory Lounge.

WDW1974

Original Poster
More to the point this is the BIGGEST waste of 2 BILLION dollars for a company supposed to be running theme parks.

This will not enhance my theme park visit one bit more than it is now. And if I have to wait longer for a ride because I'm staying in the wrong place I know where I'm taking my tourist dollars. Simple.

Lunatics and asylums.

You know I think you're out of your mind for the amount of time you spend at WDW vs. DL or DLP or trying the parks in Asia out. I wonder if you spent more time in WDW parks in 2012 than I did? Now, we both did DLP too, but I also did DLR twice in January and September.

WDW1974

Original Poster
For those thinking that they will just take the wristband off, Jim Hill has discussed the hurdle of keeping the wristband on people for the entirety of the visit. What if taking off the wristband destroys it and your ability to gain admission to the parks?

Last post of the night. Can only sleep til noon and that ain't enough for this old weary Spirit.

But you won't be required to wear a wristband, just highly encouraged especially at Disney Resorts where they'll be able to bling them out like a pin lanyard or Disney charm bracelet.

But you'll have no choice as to RFID.

If you're a businessman from Des Moines, Iowa in for a convention at the Yacht Club and you buy a one-day ticket to EPCOT, it will be embedded and will track you through the park and resort.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
@Monty ... dude, what exactly do you think I hate? Disney? Stupidity? Mindless devotion to a BRAND? Vinylmation (of which I now own 12 :oops:)? Lou Mongello? Every loser in O-Town with a Disney site? Lousy coffee like they serve at WDW? Canadians? C'mon, at least let me know what it is that I am hating ...
@WDW1974 The post is not actually referring to you [I realise that's likely a terrible blow to your ego, but hey...].

I was actually referring to people who read the text @lee posted at your behest that said: "Any concerns over the right of Disney to acquire, compile and export for their profit and the profit of corporate partners aside, grave concerns over guest safety and the actual legality of this project have been raised." and took it to mean Disney is doing something illegal. Since at that point you had not contributed directly to the conversation, my "haters gonna hate" could not logically apply to you. The quoted text actually implies that those concerns have been raised and presumably addressed.

ps. I've never seen the draw to Vinylmation, as collectables go it just doesn't make sense to me.

ParentsOf4

There is a difference - Yes... but I'll repeat myself again...

What does that expose that you don't want people to know? The reality is sharing your phone number and email is far more impactful to you and your life than Disney monitoring where you visited.

Keeping history of what attractions you visited, or what areas of the park you visited is going to put you at risk, or expose something you don't want Disney to know.. how exactly?

You're trying to protect yourself from what exactly? What are you trying to keep close to the chest you don't want Disney to know?
Regardless of what I do anywhere, what right does anyone have to require that I carry a tracking device? The courts have ruled that a convicted felon can be forced to wear a tracking device as terms of parole. What 'crime' have I committed that allows anyone to track me in such an intrusive manner?

We are not talking about (for example) a camera that is used to monitor crowds as a whole. We are talking about an active tracking device that Disney will require me to carry, tracking me individually.

If you accept the premise that "it's the price of doing business with Disney", then imagine a day in the not too distant future when I am required to carry a tracking device in stores such as (for example) Wal-Mart. Then, beyond that, imagine a day when, to do business with Disney, Wal-Mart, Target, Kroger, McDonald's, etc., I am required to carry a tracking device at all times. Imagine my employer requiring me to carry a tracking device as the price of staying employed. Imagine the U.S. Government requiring me to carry a tracking device as the price of remaining in the country.

I suggest you consider reading United States v. Jones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Jones_(2012)

Regardless of what I intend to do, I have a right not to tracked in such an intrusive manner without having first surrendered my constitutional rights. Where the heck does Disney have the right to track me?

If you cannot see how patently offensive the mere concept of being required to carry a tracking device is, then our democracy is doomed.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You still don't get it. Regardless of what I do anywhere, what right does anyone have to require that I carry a tracking device? The courts have ruled that a convicted felon can be forced to wear a tracking device as terms of parole. What 'crime' have I committed that allows anyone to track me in such an intrusive manner?

We are not talking about (for example) a camera that is used to monitor crowds as a whole. We are talking about an active tracking device that Disney will require me to carry, tracking me individually.

If you accept the premise that "it's just the price of doing business with Disney", then imagine a day in the not too distant future when I am required to carry a tracking device in stores such as (for example) Wal-Mart. Then, beyond that, imagine a day when, to do business with Disney, Wal-Mart, Target, Kroger, McDonald's, etc., I am required to carry a tracking device at all times. Imagine my employer requiring me to carry a tracking device. Imagine the U.S. government requiring me to carry a tracking device.

I suggest you consider reading United States v. Jones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Jones_(2012)

Regardless of what I intend to do, I have a right not to tracked in such an intrusive manner without having first surrendered my constitutional rights. Where the heck does Disney have the right to track me?

If you cannot see how patently offensive the mere concept of being required to carry a tracking device is, then our democracy is doomed.
You are not required to participate at all.You can always opt out and do it the old fashioned way.

I respect you opinions and thoughts on a lot of matters but I really don't see any invasion of privacy ... you are at a theme park...what intrusion on your privacy could possibly be inferred?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You know I think you're out of your mind for the amount of time you spend at WDW vs. DL or DLP or trying the parks in Asia out. I wonder if you spent more time in WDW parks in 2012 than I did? Now, we both did DLP too, but I also did DLR twice in January and September.
More of a social call to the World now. Friends to see and a lot more to do in Central Florida. Plus when it starts costing you'll see me in Mouse parks a lot less and at Uni/IOA/DC/SW and Busch even more. And yes, we've done preliminary pricing for OLCs little spin off. Plus of course we need to get back to DL to return some favours...

I don't agree with baring forced to partake in an exercise like this. Over here new laws say we have no opt in to marketing by ticking the box or similar. It's law. I'll be d@mned if I'm wearing any bracelet. I may be a bit more understanding if the parks weren't stale and attractions weren't falling apart, and nothing new of substance or worthy of a purposeful visit is planned. As it is all I see is 2 Billion + down the drain for something that guests don't need whilst the parks continue to deteriorate in all areas and the competition continues to catch up, and in certain areas continue to race ahead.

Sorry Jim, you're a nice guy, but I really hope this whole misguided project falls flat on its behind. Assuming the multitude of kinks you have ever get sorted out.

ParentsOf4

You are not required to participate at all.You can always opt out and do it the old fashioned way.

I respect you opinions and thoughts on a lot of matters but I really don't see any invasion of privacy ... you are at a theme park...what intrusion on your privacy could possibly be inferred?
People will not be able to opt up. Quoting from the original treatise:
Disney understood early on that there could be no opt-out for any guest. Application of an 'opt-out mode' would remove the control and thereby defeat the financial gains required of such a massive capital outlay defined publicly devoid of detail.
Please consider reading United States v. Jones. What Disney is trying to accomplish is considerably father reaching than that ruling. We are talking about a private company being allowed to track our every movement. You really need to absorb the long-term implications of this. This will go to court and there will be a huge legal battle, very likely reaching the Supreme Court.

stevehousse

So out of all this wristband rubbish, do we officially know if fast pass regular is sticking around or is only fast pass + going to be available? We usually never stay on property and we use fast pass as much as we can when we go! Also, r they really limiting fast passes + to only 4 a day and that's it? Or do u think once the program is up and running it'll work a lot like the old version just on your phone instea of a paper ticket?

ParentsOf4

So out of all this wristband rubbish, do we officially know if fast pass regular is sticking around or is only fast pass + going to be available? We usually never stay on property and we use fast pass as much as we can when we go! Also, r they really limiting fast passes + to only 4 a day and that's it? Or do u think once the program is up and running it'll work a lot like the old version just on your phone instea of a paper ticket?
Below summarizes currently available FP+ information:
  • FP+ eventually will replace FP, although it appears that there will be a transitional period during which both will be available.
  • FP+ experiences are being expanded to include reserved viewing area for parades and scheduled times for character meet & greets.
  • Numerous WDW attractions that do not participate in FP are being added to FP+.
  • The Disney webpage suggests FP+ will have a dining component. ("A FastPass+ selection for dining at a FastPass+ designated table service or quick service location secures your arrival window and allows you to order meal prior to your arrival window.")
  • A Guest will be able to FP+ an attraction only once per day. For example, a guest will be able to receive, at most, one FP+ for Space Mountain on one day.
  • Disney states the number of FP+ a person receives "are limited and vary based on factors". During preliminary testing, guests have been able to schedule up to 4 FP+ experiences per day, with a one-hour return window for each experience, similar to FP.
  • Tickets are required to be upgraded to include the RFID system in order to use FP+. Once upgraded, it is not be possible to participate in FP. Thus, it appears one ticket cannot be used for both FP and FP+.
  • FP+ can be used only at one park per day.
  • Unlike the current FP system, at least some guests have been presented with the option to schedule FP+ experiences as early as park opening (i.e. 9 AM).
  • Unlike the current FP system, it will be possible to change the scheduled return times for FP+. It appears that it even will be possible to change the FP+ experience (e.g. switch a Space Mountain FP+ to a Big Thunder Mountain FP+) although it seems likely this will be subject to availability.
  • Onsite guests will be able to schedule their FP+ experiences up to 180 days in advance. Other guests will be able to schedule their experiences up to 60 days in advance.
  • As a result of FP+, it is believed Extra Magic Hours eventually will be eliminated.
  • FP+ reportedly will be "free" but there are ways to collect revenue while still calling FP+ free. For example, EMH are "free" but are available only to onsite guests.

Jane Doe

. I may be a bit more understanding if the parks weren't stale and attractions weren't falling apart, and nothing new of substance or worthy of a purposeful visit is planned. As it is all I see is 2 Billion + down the drain for something that guests don't need whilst the parks continue to deteriorate in all areas and the competition continues to catch up, and in certain areas continue to race ahead.

I'd like to think Universal's reluctance to give any details of Harry Potter 2 are all down to their future adverts involving Disney's expensive outlay to RFID.

"Walt Disney World has spent two billion dollars on bracelets to data profile and track it's guests whilst in their parks, we at Universal decided to spend our money on, we'll, this.... (cue sweeping CGI film of what Harry Potter 2 is all about).

TP2000

I myself would like to make Liz Clark, Phil Holmes and even the lovely Pam Brandon eat an entire turkey sandwich and fries from Cosmic Ray's without having to vomit. But that's just me.

Pam Brandon. She's the food writer for the Disney Parks Corporate Fun Blog, right? The one who fires off formulaic reviews of new Disneyland Resort food offerings from her cubicle in a Celebration office building 3,000 miles away without actually visiting the locations she is reviewing? That Pam Brandon?

Tell me when she shows up at Cosmic Ray's during the lunch hour. I'd be happy to hold her hair back, sorority girl style, as she vomits.

Longhairbear

Tracking guests may lead to some embarrassing situations. While standing in line for a boat ride to DTD from the then Dixie Landings, a guest with his wife and daughter alongside was loudly saying he would be at the pool area at exactly midnight. To a jaded person like myself, I know exactly what he was advertising. Sure enough, when my husband and I were strolling the grounds at about midnight enjoying cocktails out of a refillable Disney mug, (Typhoon Lagoon) and smoking expensive cigars purchased at DTD, we spied that same guest sitting in the spa. Around the corner came another guest running as if late for a date, and stopped us to ask where the pool was. Because we are the jaded type, we circled around to see what transpired.
Could Next Gen be subpoenaed for a divorce?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
People will not be able to opt up. Quoting from the original treatise:

Please consider reading United States v. Jones. What Disney is trying to accomplish is considerably father reaching than that ruling. We are talking about a private company being allowed to track our every movement. You really need to absorb the long-term implications of this. This will go to court and there will be a huge legal battle, very likely reaching the Supreme Court.
Jones does not apply. The Fourth Amendment applies to governmental searches and seizures, but not those done by private citizens or organizations who are not acting on behalf of a government.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
What's the big deal? Why do I even care if they are tracking my EVERY movement throughout the park? If i choose to rip off my wristband, then what are they gonna do? Kick me out? I highly doubt that.

We ALWAYS have an option to opt out...not participate in this. If you feel it is an invasion then just don't go.

As Monty just said, this will never go before the Supreme Court (if any court at all) as this is a non issue with a private company. We all have the right to not participate by not going. Disney is an option...not a right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom