Speculation on the SOA and LMA piece of land at Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I like the idea of Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land... but they really are pigeon-holding themselves by sticking to one brand, not to mention I have a feeling it's going to look somewhat cheap and disjointed..

Wherever the location, I would've like to have seen:

* Indiana Jones Adventure
* Roger Rabbit attraction
* New Broadway shows, i.e. Aladdin
* Tron Lightcycles Power Run
* Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for Sunken Treasure (if not, Treasure Island, the first live-action Disney film, would be a great re-theme)
* Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue
* Ratatouille Kitchen Calamity
* Radiator Springs Racers (OR a re-themed version with Herbie the Love Bug)
* 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Tokyo version)
* Updated Muppet*Vision
* Mama Melrose's converted into Martinelli's a la The Parent Trap
* One Man's Dream converted into a mini Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives (featuring props from the Backlot Tour such as the HISTK shrink ray)

Based on what was said in the presentation, it sounds like immersive themed lands is the new direction for DHS.

chiefs11

This is a question I have been wondering about also. I am wondering if anyone know for sure if the practice are is necessary for the operation of LMA long term. If you go back through some of the satellite images on Google Earth you can see that the practice area is often used as a parking lot, so it's clearly not something they use every day.
Perhaps they only use the area to work on new elements or training new drivers? In that case, if the show is to close in the near future, the additional practice lot wouldn't be necessary. They can just practice the show itself in the arena until the thing shuts down.

Herbie

Based on what was said in the presentation, it sounds like immersive themed lands is the new direction for DHS.

I know. With its fanbase, it can work for Star Wars to have its own land... but Toy Story? I would've preferred the Pixar Place direction, no matter how standard the exterior. Everything else I listed had the potential to be immersive sigh.

matt9112

But what if it is Marvel? We keep hearing rumors that Universal is in talks to give it to Disney so Disney can really cut into Uni's business. Those rumors make perfect sense and are extremely well-sourced.

Say Marvel is impossible all you want, I guarantee lots of us will still be here saying, "Maybe they're planning something with Marvel."

cant be they dont have the rights in florida.

matt9112

Well since we are throwing around speculations here are mine:

Tokyo Area with Big Hero 6 theme and ride

Or

Continue in the alien world aspect and go with GotG ride and land...

I do not forsee any Disney Classic Cartoon presence on this side of the park

sanfrantokjiyo

matt9112

The Golden Ticket Awards are voted on by thousands of people around the world, many of which are industry professionals. It is the respected industry measure. And cited here on this site numerous times.

this.....a golden ticket isnt a joke....it just isn't covered in pixie dust.

TP2000

Yeah I really don't want a Cars Land clone. Not only is the name horrible (why not Radiator Springs, really?) but it already exists in the US and the flagship ride is a Test Track reskin.

I take it you've never been to Cars Land. Saying they shouldn't bring Racers to WDW because it already has Test Track is like saying they shouldn't have added Buzz Lightyear because they already had an Omnimover ride with the Haunted Mansion.

And it's called Cars Land because Cars Land is more than just the town of Radiator Springs. Cars Land recreates much of Carburetor County, including the famous Ornament Valley area. The entrance queue of the signature E Ticket, Radiator Springs Racers, is labeled as the "Gateway to Ornament Valley" as you leave the town of Radiator Springs and enter the next six acres of Cars Land.
Radiator_Springs_Racers_entrance.jpg

A more accurate name for the land would be to call it Carburetor County. But Cars Land was more catchy and cute. When you visit it will make more sense.

Oriolesmagic

@marni1971 So it seems like Carsland is a possibility (maybe 35% chance?). Any word on a possible Indiana Jones attraction/area?

I'd love to see an Indiana Jones River Adventure although I must confess that the style would likely be too similar to Jungle Cruise/Kali River Rapids.

ctrlaltdel

I take it you've never been to Cars Land. Saying they shouldn't bring Racers to WDW because it already has Test Track is like saying they shouldn't have added Buzz Lightyear because they already had an Omnimover ride with the Haunted Mansion.

And it's called Cars Land because Cars Land is more than just the town of Radiator Springs. Cars Land recreates much of Carburetor County, including the famous Ornament Valley area. The entrance queue of the signature E Ticket, Radiator Springs Racers, is labeled as the "Gateway to Ornament Valley" as you leave the town of Radiator Springs and enter the next six acres of Cars Land.
Radiator_Springs_Racers_entrance.jpg

A more accurate name for the land would be to call it Carburetor County. But Cars Land was more catchy and cute. When you visit it will make more sense.
I went to DLR right before this opened so I never got to go. It just looks absolutely incredible, classic Disney with modern tech. Disney set a high bar for themselves to surpass with DHS. I'm confident they will with SWL and whatever else they add.

PorterRedkey

It doesn't. Uni does not own the rights but they license them for use in an exclusive territory. There is no expiration date.

Really, NO end to the licencing? It seem like that would have been worked out to evaluate the value of the characters at regular intervals and then continue the contract at a newly arranged fee. Or is it like you have them for 99 years, just pay 'X' amount of dollars each year?

Personally, I don't think WDW needs Marvel when it has so many underdeveloped IP's that are free for them to use. I just pray it that the IP they use next is not Toy Story or Cars. Give the villains some love with a great dark ride/coaster combo. If it has to be Pixar, I hope they use the Incredible's!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom