Speculation on the SOA and LMA piece of land at Hollywood Studios

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
I think we'll definitely see a Pizza Planet move to the Toy Story area and the current Pizza Planet from what I've heard a couple times is getting a Muppet layover.

As for Cars Land...it's great but I have no desire to see it at DHS. I'd much rather have a Monstropolis like others have mentioned.

Disneyhead'71

You know what would look awesome where LMA is?

Syndrome's Lair.

syndrome-has-his-secret-headquarters-on-a-tropical-island-where-no-governments-can-control-him.jpg

They could have everyone ride a peoplemover out to the island and play music from Lava on the way out.

peter11435

The Golden Ticket Awards are voted on by thousands of people around the world, many of which are industry professionals. It is the respected industry measure. And cited here on this site numerous times.
I am well aware of how that works. People vote on presidential elections too but that doesn't mean that the entire country thinks the winner was the best candidate.

Again I'm not denying that many prefer Spiderman. I'm saying that not everyone does and not everyone in the Industy does. Most importantly that you shouldnt speak for the entire industry.

Evolution

Marvel isn't coming to WDW anytime soon, maybe never. Which sucks because it's stuck in limbo. Disney/Marvel would never let Universal use their actors to create an actual themed attractions (i.e. not the Hulk coaster) at USF/IOA (because of competition). Uni won't sell the rights to Disney, because Disney could then implement a fully themed Marvel land, taking away the market share of Uni. So it's gonna be stuck in a kind of no mans land. We'll actually get a Marvel land that lives up to the expectations of fans in DCA soon enough. But it will likely never happen in Orlando.

MSHI is actually getting a revamp starting with the Hulk next month. An Avengers ride is rumored to be in the plans.

Rescue Ranger

I really REALLY hope it is not Cars Land. Let Disneyland have something of it's own. Personally, expanded Pixar Land would be great, San fransokyo, Muppets, Incredibles, Monster's Inc(NOT University) would all be great. As for Marvel...one day I'm sure it will come. However, they need their own park. There is just too much in the MU to limit it.

However, most of all I'd have to say the Disney Villains should get a much needed permanent placement. It would be incredible to see a new attraction similar to Universal's Spider-man with villains attacking you.

Evolution

Yeah I really don't want a Cars Land clone. Not only is the name horrible (why not Radiator Springs, really?) but it already exists in the US and the flagship ride is a Test Track reskin.

FrankLapidus

This should put the final nail in the Marvel Rights Debate coffin. The last paragraph from this NYTimes article says all that needs to be said.

"Asked in an interview in July if Universal would ever sell those rights, Thomas L. Williams, Universal's Theme Park Chairman, answered with one word: "No.""

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/b...ans-with-plans-for-star-wars-attractions.html

It should but it probably won't, frustratingly.

On the Pizza Planet being rethemed to the Muppets rumour, do any of the insiders know if there's any truth to it? I might have missed one of them mentioning it but I did see that Martin said the Muppets are safe at the park at least for the medium-term so I'm curious as to whether Disney would retheme the restaurant if the future of the area and its theme would appear to be up in the air?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This should put the final nail in the Marvel Rights Debate coffin. The last paragraph from this NYTimes article says all that needs to be said.

"Asked in an interview in July if Universal would ever sell those rights, Thomas L. Williams, Universal's Theme Park Chairman, answered with one word: "No.""

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/b...ans-with-plans-for-star-wars-attractions.html

Great to have a quote from a Universal Exec on this, must bookmark this post. Of course the nay-sayers will just say that he will change his tune as soon as Disney offers enough....

or when the contract expires. ;)

Donald Razorduck

It should but it probably won't, frustratingly.

On the Pizza Planet being rethemed to the Muppets rumour, do any of the insiders know if there's any truth to it? I might have missed one of them mentioning it but I did see that Martin said the Muppets are safe at the park at least for the medium-term so I'm curious as to whether Disney would retheme the restaurant if the future of the area and its theme would appear to be up in the air?
I figure the Muppets are safe if the new tv series lasts for any time. If it doesn't, may see frog legs on the menu at a quick serve.

Fox&Hound

I'm guessing we'll see a nighttime scene INDOOR Cars attraction, so it won't be prone to weather issues...which also goes back to the issue with water rides in Florida....Summer weather causes havoc with operation of those attractions.

I completely agree! They could still do all of the indoor scenes from Radiator Springs Racers and end with you racing another car (lightning mcqueen) at night, around a neon track with glow in the dark trees and traffic cones, etc while other car AA's cheer you on. Almost like a space mountain/RnRC hybrid where you're not sure where you are headed next. =)

Fox&Hound

See, for everyone who says the don't want a RSR clone, that's why an indoor FL version would be great. We still get a cars ride that is enjoyable and adds another family ride to the park with some mild thrill, and DCA gets to keep their beautiful cadillac range, Mater's (yes I know the Toy Story land alien uses the same technology but it's still visually different), and probably the Cozy Cone Motel snacks (although I'd secretly love this too). I'm betting this will open the same summer Cars 3 hits the theaters. Yes, they are making an Incredibles 2 and while I'd love an area for them it has two strikes: bland setting (human world, skyscrapers, office park) I just don't see people getting exited about it. Also, it won't push merchandise and we know that's what execs want. But, I'm would be ecstatic if we got a version of Cars- as long as it was still a great version of the ride and not completely watered down.

I do agree with other posters that this park could use some water elements. So, maybe that's something they would consider. One thing is for sure, I'm thrilled that this park is going to lose the narrow walkway, giant warehouse, Storage Center USA vibe.

RobbinsDad

If the TSL and SWL locations are where we think they'll be, this is a brilliant move by Disney. Focus on the two new lands, keep the attractions open in that area while construction is ongoing, and give the company a good decade to see what new properties might hit big before making up their minds on what to do with the "3rd land". You never know what will resonate big time - a la Frozen, and then the decision is made.

CJR

If the TSL and SWL locations are where we think they'll be, this is a brilliant move by Disney. Focus on the two new lands, keep the attractions open in that area while construction is ongoing, and give the company a good decade to see what new properties might hit big before making up their minds on what to do with the "3rd land". You never know what will resonate big time - a la Frozen, and then the decision is made.

The sad part about that, not to derail the discussion, is that Frozen could have been the third land if Disney went the right direction with it. Disney's problem is that when they get something big like Frozen, they rush and when they rush, it usually gets done cheap and has a lack of creativity. Maybe we'll get lucky if something else sticks, but I'm not going to count on it. My bet is that the third land will be based on an older franchise, whenever it gets decided.

MonorailLover

So I think everyone would agree that there is still a plot of land where we all thought Carsland was gonna go. Steve mentioned that the plans were changed and there was still stuff unannounced. So if it's not Carsland, what would they have changed it to? Some form of Marvel? There was talk recently that Uni and Disney were trying to work out a deal. Maybe Indiana Jones? There was speculation about the ride finally come over and the new restaurant concept at DTD had been received well. Possibly a different Pixar franchise? But then why not just make it Pixar Land and include many different franchises? Or could it be something more girl oriented? The park is now leaning very boy heavy, which was the opposite complaint when they announced New Famtasyland.

What are your thought or predictions?

Honestly, until EVERY marvel reference is removed from Universal Orlando, nothing Marvel will ever be allowed in the parks. There won't be a deal made this soon after the original deal was made.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Honestly, until EVERY marvel reference is removed from Universal Orlando, nothing Marvel will ever be allowed in the parks. There won't be a deal made this soon after the original deal was made.
What was the deal again, exactly? I never knew what it was. I just knew Marvel couldn't move in Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom