Speculation on the SOA and LMA piece of land at Hollywood Studios

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Really, NO end to the licencing? It seem like that would have been worked out to evaluate the value of the characters at regular intervals and then continue the contract at a newly arranged fee. Or is it like you have them for 99 years, just pay 'X' amount of dollars each year?

Personally, I don't think WDW needs Marvel when it has so many underdeveloped IP's that are free for them to use. I just pray it that the IP they use next is not Toy Story or Cars. Give the villains some love with a great dark ride/coaster combo. If it has to be Pixar, I hope they use the Incredible's!

There is no expiration date. Disney would have never made a contract like this, but Marvel was desperate for money so they did.

PorterRedkey

There is no expiration date. Disney would have never made a contract like this, but Marvel was desperate for money so they did.

Right, I remember when Marvel was hard up, that is until they started their own studio to make their own movies. That worked out pretty well.
So why the Mississippi river demarcation point? Did Marvel have plans out west before Disney bought them?

NormC

Really, NO end to the licencing? It seem like that would have been worked out to evaluate the value of the characters at regular intervals and then continue the contract at a newly arranged fee. Or is it like you have them for 99 years, just pay 'X' amount of dollars each year?
It is tied to inflation so the amount paid by Uni changes. It is explained in the contract that was linked above.

TP2000

A version more suited to the climate.

Possibly a different ride system. Or a different ride altogether.

Hmm... That doesn't sound like anything related to the existing Radiator Springs Racers. It sounds more like a classic dark ride in a show building. It would be a shame to lose all that rockwork of Ornament Valley and the soaring tailfins of the Cadillac Range, but if the ride is indoors and you aren't trying to create a 175 foot tall berm to block out the Anaheim Hilton across Katella Avenue, I'm not sure why you need that type of extravagance.

wdwfan757

I take it you've never been to Cars Land. Saying they shouldn't bring Racers to WDW because it already has Test Track is like saying they shouldn't have added Buzz Lightyear because they already had an Omnimover ride with the Haunted Mansion.

And it's called Cars Land because Cars Land is more than just the town of Radiator Springs. Cars Land recreates much of Carburetor County, including the famous Ornament Valley area. The entrance queue of the signature E Ticket, Radiator Springs Racers, is labeled as the "Gateway to Ornament Valley" as you leave the town of Radiator Springs and enter the next six acres of Cars Land.
Radiator_Springs_Racers_entrance.jpg

A more accurate name for the land would be to call it Carburetor County. But Cars Land was more catchy and cute. When you visit it will make more sense.

I've argued this before, but I don't think it's that simple as saying RSR is TT. The whole Cars Land area looks like the west coast. It looks natural at DCA as just another piece of Californian landscape. It never looks like a set. That's why it fits so well. If you stick it in central florida, or anywhere on the east coast for that matter it looks like a set. The level of immersion you get in the west coast is lost. So thematically, it would be a whole lot less impressive here than it is there. But the RSR vs TT thing is a valid concern as well. It's not that having more than one TT is a bad thing (although they're much much much more alike than Buzz and HM), but there are better alternatives out there with BH6 or Monsters Inc.

I also wonder whether or not you run the risk of DHS becoming the "boy park". I know we live in an age of gender neutral, but Cars and Toy Story always seemed like a little boy's escape from fairytales and princesses. Frozen would've made sense for the remaining space. It still may not be out of the question. Maybe Frozen gets its huge super duper "what it deserved" ride after all, with the sing along and/or a stage show.

If it were up to me though, it'd by Indy. Lots and lots of Indy.

PorterRedkey

For the umpteenth time, really. No end.

Sorry, I am big fan of your videos, I have watched them all and look forward to the new one each month, but every time you respond to me you are kind of a jerk. I know you are super knowledgeable, but I am really just trying to understand the situation. I can't know as much as you so I'm sorry. I don't visit the boards everyday and read every thread. Other member can respond without the attitude, I do know why you can't give me the same respect. Not as big of fan now.

wdwtopten

Here's a thought. Give us a live-action Muppets show. Perhaps put it where Beauty and the Beast currently is, or the Little Mermaid. Seeing the puppets in person, rather than on screen, would be an incredible experience. Just record the audio of the show, and have the Henson puppeteers act it out.

If they did this in the style of the Finding Nemo show at DAK I would be all for it.

plutoismyhero

I agree that it should be Frozen for the female demographic. Frozen castle with a dark ride, sing a long, dining, retail and meet / greet. We will have to see how the new movie does at the box office.
Why does EVERYTHING have to include frozen....just dont get it there are other things for girls..........................................................................................................................................

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Thanks all who answered my question. It really sucks that they cannot use Marvel, especially in lieu of all the success with the movies.

However, an Incredibles attraction would be really, really inviting. A Frozone ride or a Mr. incredible ride, that would go along with the earlier and upcoming movies. That would be crazy. Big Hero 6 and Guardians could have a small presence as well.

No way Uni will never give up the theme park rights. They were crazy enough to get up the movie rights. Disney would kill what little they have left to work with.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Right, I remember when Marvel was hard up, that is until they started their own studio to make their own movies. That worked out pretty well.
So why the Mississippi river demarcation point? Did Marvel have plans out west before Disney bought them?

The contract started out as world wide and they could have kept it that way for a period by committing to building a Marvel land in another park. When they didn't do that that contract shrunk to just cover east of the Mississippi. Presumably they picked that geographic location because parks in the region would be the biggest competition for Universal Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom