SpectroMagic being prepped for return..

puntagordabob

... you don't go back ... you go forward ... you replace with bigger and better and more modern ...

WOWSER!!!!! ...As I read that line I thought to myself how an Imagineer probably said that very arguement in 1997 regarding how Awesome Iago will be in The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management. "Its Bigger, Its Better, and its modern hipness is going to be a hit! Its going to be the BEST Show Ever!" ;)

lol

MaryJaneP

... you don't go back ... you go forward ... you replace with bigger and better and more modern ...

I disagree with the fact that progress mandates bigger and more modern. I think it is very possible to have something that is just better, without being any bigger or any more modern. Further, better could mean adding a new attraction without fatally destroying existing entertaining attractions.

TTA94

I work in the lighting industry and have also heard the Sylvania is working on a deal with Disney to sponsor the return of Spectro.

So saying Spectro does get a sponsor. What would this mean as far as a refub? Major overhaul/rebuilt? or a light cleaning with a few LEDs added?

I should also point out if a sponsor is involved you know what this will mean for the Title Float... GoodBye "Walt Disney World Presents"

Communicore

So saying Spectro does get a sponsor. What would this mean as far as a refub? Major overhaul/rebuilt? or a light cleaning with a few LEDs added?

I should also point out if a sponsor is involved you know what this will mean for the Title Float... GoodBye "Walt Disney World Presents"

Yea I foresee a logo redesign and it would say "Magic Kingdom Park presents" or maybe "Disney Parks Presents" if the show is also gonna be shared with the other parks.

NoChesterHester

WOWSER!!!!! ...As I read that line I thought to myself how an Imagineer probably said that very arguement in 1997 regarding how Awesome Iago will be in The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management. "Its Bigger, Its Better, and its modern hipness is going to be a hit! Its going to be the BEST Show Ever!" ;)

lol

Under New Management was "modern" but by no means bigger and better.

'74 is right. We always need to be aware however not to confuse new with good.

WDW1974

I disagree with the fact that progress mandates bigger and more modern. I think it is very possible to have something that is just better, without being any bigger or any more modern. Further, better could mean adding a new attraction without fatally destroying existing entertaining attractions.

I agree with that. Could have worded my post a bit better myself :).

But the point is progress means moving forward ... in this case, it could simply be a retooled (in a major way) version of Spectromagic with many new floats, some old ones removed and new technology added.

Or something totally new.

Progress isn't bringing back 1972 era parades that looked much better back then than they do now.

You can't live in 1972 and you can't go back, either.

Just ask the Miami Dolphins. :cool::rolleyes::ROFLOL:

~GFC~

WDW Vacationer

^ I love a good Dolphins jab. :lol:

On the subject of this thread, I really want a NEW nighttime parade with, you know, 21st century technology.

But I realize that won't happen and I want Spectro back on the streets.

jimbojones

I think it is hilarious that some compare the MSEL parade music which was created by a very respected composer, Walter(Wendy) Carlos, and state how much better the spectro magic music is. I like both parades but MSEL disney utilized a cutting edge(at the time) composer. For spectro magic you have a generic "disney" score composed by committee.

Again I like them both but just wanted to give props to walter carlos in the MSE parade no disrespect intended

zooey

I think it is hilarious that some compare the MSEL parade music which was created by a very respected composer, Walter(Wendy) Carlos, and state how much better the spectro magic music is. I like both parades but MSEL disney utilized a cutting edge(at the time) composer. For spectro magic you have a generic "disney" score composed by committee.

Again I like them both but just wanted to give props to walter carlos in the MSE parade no disrespect intended

I don't think Carlos had anything to do with MSEP, but rather it was based on a Perrey & Kingsley composition called "Baroque Hoedown." Could be wrong. It's certainly in the vein of a Carlos sound, though.

smw

I think it is hilarious that some compare the MSEL parade music which was created by a very respected composer, Walter(Wendy) Carlos

beethoven himself probably wrote a few crap songs, too. being done by a respected composer doesnt mean its automatically going to be good.

spectro>msep.

WDW1974

^ I love a good Dolphins jab. :lol:

On the subject of this thread, I really want a NEW nighttime parade with, you know, 21st century technology.

But I realize that won't happen and I want Spectro back on the streets.

I think the Fins make a great analogy as they (and many of their fanbase, especially the most ardent loud-mouthed folks) are living in the past.

Sound familiar?:rolleyes:

I LOVED MSEP from its debut in 1977 well into the 80s. I LIKED Spectro from its debut in 1991 right around until Y2K.

There comes a time when you refresh, remove, retire and/or replace a parade. But Disney just thinks it can keep swapping the two relics out year after year, decade after decade.

Much cheaper than adding a plussed version of TDR's Dreamlights (an AMAZING parade based on the MSEP).

scpergj

I don't think Carlos had anything to do with MSEP, but rather it was based on a Perrey & Kingsley composition called "Baroque Hoedown." Could be wrong. It's certainly in the vein of a Carlos sound, though.

You are correct, it is indeed a version of "Baroque Hoedown"...wonderfully innovative piece of music for it's time.

DisneyFan 2000

I think it's hilarious you say at-the-time in the same sentence as cutting edge as argument in favor of MSEP AND I think it's hilarious that you find Spectromagic's soundtrack to be "generic Disney". I'd say chilling-makes-you-fuzzy-inside music but hey, if you find it hilarious and generic, who are we to stand in your way? No need to belittle the obviously wonderful effort of Spectro just because MSEP was cutting-edge "at the time". Some fans just seem to have a knack for nostalgia trips.

ttalovebug

I don't think it matters who composed each parade- the guests in the park don't know that. I'd wager that many people here who engage in the MSEP vs. Spectro debate don't even konw that. All they know is that they have a specific emotional reaction to one or the other. That doesn't lie, no matter who composes the music. I appreciate both scores very much, I think they are both fantastic. But the Spectro music is my favorite- I don't know why, it just moves me more.

And anyway, I wouldn't write off Spectro's composer. John Debney is a very well known composer of dozens of films, and an Academy Award nominee. He also did fabulous work scoring Phantom Manor in Paris, turning the Grim Grinning ghost theme into a sweeping and haunting orchestral score. I think Debney does excellent work. He may not have been a "cutting edge" decision like MSEP's composer was, but that doesn't make him a lesser one.

wdw71fan

Original Poster
what most people don't know is that John Debney wrote Spectromagic in about a week after the original sound track was not well received by management..

not bad for a weeks work ;) I don't believe Debney wrote the original piece..

candydog

I don't think arguing over which parade has better floats or better music is going to do any good. There will never be a definitive answer to which is best because people have different tastes. Someone who loves MSEP and saw it in its prime is always going to enjoy it more than spectro, just as anyone who saw Spectro as their first night parade will defend it from any criticism.

What surprises me is how the popularity of these parades seems to have eclipsed any concerns management must surely have of how outdated both parades are quickly becoming, especially MSEP. I mean surely when people see MSEP, a large enough portion of them must think it looks terribly behind the times in the middle of a theme park which with locations such as Tomorrowland and a nearby Park Epcot, has always been at the forefront of new technology.
I know the reason is undoubtedly partly due to budget, but surely at some point management has considered scrapping MSEP and replacing it with something more modern, yet its overwhelming popularity seems to ensure that it continues to run year adter year, decade after decade.
Dreamlights in Tokyo is a fantastic parade, and I'm sure it would do great if it was replicated or if a similar parade produced in the US, but if the people who flock to the parks are so apparently in love with the current offerings, why would management spend a load of money on a parade that people may not like when the one they have shows no signs of needing replacement? We all remember what happened to Light Magic.

I guess what I'm saying is, MSEP and Spectro are probably not going anywhere anytime soon. At least not in the current economic climate. They both have such devoted fans, I just personally find it surprising that a parade as old as MSEP is still running, when in my opinion it SHOULD have been replaced by something more modern by now.

Think about it, with the technology we have today, the possibilities for a new night time parade are almost endless!

dlpwishes

What I find funny is that people would be so upset if either of these two parades went, but are hungry for the daytime parade to be burned pretty much, and that's 'only' ten years old...

DisneyFan 2000

What I find funny is that people would be so upset if either of these two parades went, but are hungry for the daytime parade to be burned pretty much, and that's 'only' ten years old...
I think we are the fandom guiltiest of double-standard! :lol: But what fun would we be without that?
Seriously though, I think the big difference is that the night ones really seem to resonate well with people of all ages, whereas the latest offerings in day-time parades have been, well, less than steller. I think if MK were to debut something along the lines of DL's Soundsational people would be much more welcoming of a long-term day parade.

disneyWX

What's the reasoning for using the Spectro floats for the half marathon??? :shrug: (I assume they're used for entertainment & illumination purposes?) Why weren't MSEP floats used since it's the current-running parade?

Anyone have pics?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom