SpectroMagic being prepped for return..

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Remember that time 12 years ago when WDW opened four new parades on the same day?

100 Years of Magic....who could forget, but then it might be hard for some to remember as just before, the events of 9/11 changed everything. As I recall, the parades made their scheduled debut, but the press events for the 100 Years of Magic promotion, were postponed until an appropriate period of time had passed. Not exactly great circumstances to launch a major marketing campaign based on the 100th Anniversary of Walt Disney's birthday.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
5. Does anyone who does NOT feel nostalgic about seeing the Electric Light parade think that it beats Spectromagic? (I ask this because most of the people who prefer the Electric Light parade seem to have first seen it as a kid.)

I first saw the MSEP in 1977 (at WDW) and loved it. We would plan our yearly winter trips, from Maine, around it's schedule. When it was announced that a new parade would be debuting for WDW's 20th Anniversary, the hype surrounding SpectoMagic was huge, and as far as I remember, the excitement incredible. As this parade was new (not a near-clone of a DL original), I recall that people were generally looking forward to it. When I finally saw it, less than a year after it's debut, I was overwhelmed. The smoke effects, the animation on the floats, the light changes and especially the score, made Spectro "fit" the MK better than the MSEP (to me). Hearing Jiminy Cricket, as host, make the nightly announcements, along with that chorus of singers performing the theme, truly made a night in the MK something special. I remember being in the Big Thunder area one night, and hearing "on this magic night...." drift over the Rivers of America. It truly brought goosebumps to the skin on my arms and the hair on the back of my neck stand up. MSEP doesn't do that for me.....sure it's a "fun" parade, but it doesn't feel "big enough" for the MK. TDL's Electrical Parade would surely be big enough for the MK, but I'd like to see a Dreamlights type redux of Spectro instead. If FoF is a hit, I'd actually rather see that performed afternoon and evening, and retire the MSEP from the MK until, if ever, a new nighttime parade is developed.

As for being in the MK after dark....I would still be there, as I agree with Walt, that nighttime in the MK is special. As a family, we would definitely spend more $ while waiting for a parade. Always bought food, and something that blinked, etc....while waiting along the parade route.

Ralphlaw

I first saw the MSEP in 1977 (at WDW) and loved it. When I finally saw it, less than a year after it's debut, I was overwhelmed. The smoke effects, the animation on the floats, the light changes and especially the score, made Spectro "fit" the MK better than the MSEP (to me). Hearing Jiminy Cricket, as host, make the nightly announcements, along with that chorus of singers performing the theme, truly made a night in the MK something special. I remember being in the Big Thunder area one night, and hearing "on this magic night...." drift over the Rivers of America. It truly brought goosebumps to the skin on my arms and the hair on the back of my neck stand up. MSEP doesn't do that for me.....sure it's a "fun" parade, but it doesn't feel "big enough" for the MK.

As for being in the MK after dark....I would still be there, as I agree with Walt, that nighttime in the MK is special. As a family, we would definitely spend more $ while waiting for a parade. Always bought food, and something that blinked, etc....while waiting along the parade route.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

jrh1985

I first saw the MSEP in 1977 (at WDW) and loved it. We would plan our yearly winter trips, from Maine, around it's schedule. When it was announced that a new parade would be debuting for WDW's 20th Anniversary, the hype surrounding SpectoMagic was huge, and as far as I remember, the excitement incredible. As this parade was new (not a near-clone of a DL original), I recall that people were generally looking forward to it. When I finally saw it, less than a year after it's debut, I was overwhelmed. The smoke effects, the animation on the floats, the light changes and especially the score, made Spectro "fit" the MK better than the MSEP (to me). Hearing Jiminy Cricket, as host, make the nightly announcements, along with that chorus of singers performing the theme, truly made a night in the MK something special. I remember being in the Big Thunder area one night, and hearing "on this magic night...." drift over the Rivers of America. It truly brought goosebumps to the skin on my arms and the hair on the back of my neck stand up. MSEP doesn't do that for me.....sure it's a "fun" parade, but it doesn't feel "big enough" for the MK. TDL's Electrical Parade would surely be big enough for the MK, but I'd like to see a Dreamlights type redux of Spectro instead. If FoF is a hit, I'd actually rather see that performed afternoon and evening, and retire the MSEP from the MK until, if ever, a new nighttime parade is developed.

Even if FOF is a hit(from what I've read on here, sounds like it will be) I think MK still needs a night parade. Unless, FOF looks fantastic at night with the house lights off, and MK runs it at all of MSEP's timeslots along with the daytime slot. However, FOF might not play at night because there's been no strong word on MSEP's referb and it will be Daylight Saving Time when FOF opens.

Kman101

I was very young but I always remembered the Main Street Electrical Parade. When I went to Disneyland and DCA back in 2008 (I meant to go back last year but job loss prevented that) I just couldn't wait to see the Electrical Parade again. Though it was weird to watch it in DCA and while it brought back that feeling I had, it wasn't the same as seeing it on Main Street.

SpectroMagic never had that for me, and I was always creeped out as an adult by those faces. It was a good parade. I like them both but I feel like MSEP just 'has that' Magic Kingdom feeling, but I'm sure those who more grew up with Spectro feel the way I do about MSEP.

I understand and usually push for something new (I can understand if people argue the music might be dated), but why change something that works, I guess (and I can say that about Spectro)? WDW has a lot of other problems that take precedence, lol.

I think it's really shameful how they treated the Spectro floats though. REALLY shameful. Just left to rot. Like those Subs I remember and still miss seeing that lagoon. Sorry but Nemo at Disneyland doesn't cut it for me. I guess I finally have to travel overseas. Believe me, it's in the plans.

doctornick

From a money standpoint, don't great nighttime parades make sense? It cuts the lines at the rides, keeps the people on property past the supper hour, and probably results in plenty of merch sales. In sum: Shorter lines, longer stays, more food sales, and more merch sales. I know a separate nighttime parade is pricey to develop and run, requiring extra performers and crowd control every night, but isn't that a big part of the Disney magic that brings people in and keeps them there?

I think it makes a lot of sense to have both one big midday and one big night time offering in each park. This would help to keep each park busy all day and encourage merch/food sales.

So... why not a day parade in addition to the proposed night show at DAK? Why not bring back a daytime parade at DHS? And bring back Tapestry of Nations for Epcot (yeah, I know, no space for it now)!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I used to nearly cry like a baby when Spectromagic came around. Spectromagic was one of my last standing favorite childhood attractions out of all 4 parks. It's hard to let something like that go. I still love visiting Disney but there's not much left from back then. I still remember seeing it for the first time, getting exited to see Chip and Dale playin the giant piano, the giant light up fish and I loved the music. Every time in saw it it bought me back to my first Disney trip with no only my parents but my cousins, aunts, uncle and grandparents. I remember seeing Spectromagic, typhoon lagoon, scorcery in the sky, world showcase and the origional future world. Those were my highlights. It was nice to have that one last attraction around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom