SpectroMagic being prepped for return..

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I heard it through the grapevine that Spectro will be getting rehabbed and it will be sponsored by a certain lightbulb company (whose parent company is already a sponsor at another WDW park).

etwtec

I heard it through the grapevine that Spectro will be getting rehabbed and it will be sponsored by a certain lightbulb company (whose parent company is already a sponsor at another WDW park).

A sponsorship is about the only way Spectro has a chance of becoming a modern parade. Fingers crossed!

rpk4444

I work in the lighting industry and have also heard the Sylvania is working on a deal with Disney to sponsor the return of Spectro.

wsmith1978

I would be absolutely ecstatic to see the return of Spectromagic in its original form, no changes! That was the first parade I saw at Disney World and will always be so close to my heart. One of my very favorite memories of my life is watching that parade. I like MSEP too, but the music is a little grating after a while. Spectro's music is beautiful. I even bought the CD on my last trip and listen to it from time to time, but I don't ever want to "get used to it", so to speak, so I reserve it for times when I miss WDW the most!

tumblr_lotatgvCeF1qcosq1o1_500.jpg

wdw71fan

Original Poster
My eyes aren't jaded just like I'm sure yours aren't filled with pixie dust, thank you very much.

Everytime I view the parade, it has some sort of issues.

But even if it were perfect, it wouldn't change the fact that it's a 1972 parade and this is 2011 and Disney CAN do so much better.

while I agree they are outdated... sometimes floats can't come out due to technical issues (or performer issues) and sometimes bulbs go out mid-course...

Perhaps you would enjoy it more if you weren't LOOKING for problems? IF you are looking for problems, no matter what they do, you'll find them.. pessimistic outlook and all..

but i do agree a new parade would be nice.. but I don't expect one until Fantasyland gets closer to wrapping-up.. thats when we'll lose wishes as well (from what I've heard)

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Both parades are old and tired. MSEP is beyond that ... I have yet to see one performance of this 1972 relic (in its latest return to MK) where floats weren't missing or being towed or where lights weren't out. Very tacky.

Jeez, I guess even Disney isn't even immune to mechanical issues. What a disappointment. That should NOT happen in Disney. They need to use pixie dust on their floats and all problems are solved. :brick:

ToTBellHop

while I agree they are outdated... sometimes floats can't come out due to technical issues (or performer issues) and sometimes bulbs go out mid-course...

Perhaps you would enjoy it more if you weren't LOOKING for problems? IF you are looking for problems, no matter what they do, you'll find them.. pessimistic outlook and all..

but i do agree a new parade would be nice.. but I don't expect one until Fantasyland gets closer to wrapping-up.. thats when we'll lose wishes as well (from what I've heard)

If Wishes is due for a replacement, then the electric parade CERTAINLY is. And IlluniNations...and Fantasmic!...and Jammin Jungle...and whatever the daytime parade at MK currently is. Just cancel that rubbish at DHS and put in a new show of Nemo's calibre. I've never found the parades and DHS to be particularly good...except the short-lived BPB.

Katherine

I ran the Wine and Dine on Saturday night and they had some of the floats along the course for entertainment. The peacock, the 3 good fairies, and the fantasia float accompanied by ballerina ostrich and hippo were all along the course. This might be why there were taken out for a quick spruce.

WDW1974

I don't believe I noticed one problem when I saw Dreamlights in Tokyo last December. Not one. But, yes, things can always happen in a performance. ... of course, they are more likely to do so IF the parade is well past its expiration date and/or the management isn't keeping the standards up.

I don't LOOK for problems. I simply see what is there (good, bad and ugly). And, no, if there are no problems, I (or anyone else) won't find them. You're blaming someone for not shutting their mind off as soon as they pass the MAGICal WDW arches.

I don't ever expect one. I've come to realize TWDC/TDO will do as little as they have to, especially in FLA. I'm sure at some point, they'll have a new one ... but whether that is in 2015 or 2021 or 2035 is another matter.

As to Wishes, I am so ready to see it leave. Moppets singing are like nails on a chalk board.

WDW1974

i'm surprised Sylvania isn't sponsoring MSEP while it's in Florida since they were it's most recent sponsor in California

Sylvania and parent company Siemens can't sponsor everything (even if Disney would love that!)

But they may well take on parade sponsorship in MK.

ToTBellHop

As to Wishes, I am so ready to see it leave. Moppets singing are like nails on a chalk board.

Magic Kingdom entertainment will ALWAYS feature moppets, and that's not wholly unexpected: most classic Disney movies conclude with a moppet or 3 singing a song from earlier in the movie.

I find singing, disembodied children to be creepier.

ttalovebug

Ehh, moppets don't bother me as much as some, but I am ready for Wishes to be replaced. It's just time for something new.

Now, I'm going to sound like a hypocrite when I say I want the 20 year-old Spectro back after calling 9-year old Wishes old. But Spectro could have entirely new floats characters, etc. and be totally different visually for all I care- I just want that music back. Not ripping on MSEP, it has a great soundtrack too. But I am a sucker of the worst kind for Spectromagic's soundtrack.

JustInTime

^^ I would be upset if Wishes got replaced. It's classic Magic Kingdom!

But I love BOTH nighttime parades! But MSEP has so much more color and energy!

wdw71fan

Original Poster
I would argue that Wishes is "Modern" magic kingdom.. Classic Magic Kingdom would be Fantasy in the Sky...

it's all perspective, if wishes is what you grew up with, then it's 'classic' , but in the history of a park that is more than 3 decades older than the wishes show.. It's not ..

WDW1974

I would argue that Wishes is "Modern" magic kingdom.. Classic Magic Kingdom would be Fantasy in the Sky...

it's all perspective, if wishes is what you grew up with, then it's 'classic' , but in the history of a park that is more than 3 decades older than the wishes show.. It's not ..

And I would agree ... and then argue that Disney has become very good at nostalgia for its own old products, which is very different from the nostalgia that has been at the heart of Disney parks since DL opened in 1955.

Nostalgia for a turn of the century Main Street or exotic jungles or a Hollywood that never was and always will be is fine.

But when it takes a turn where fans get conditioned to want Disney to never change or -- much worse -- return (and judging by insignificant things like the Orange Bird gaining popularity with kids today who have no clue about him beyond wikipedia and fan sites) to things of the past is a very sick kind of nostalgia that is BRAND-based and is exactly the polar opposite of what Walt and the greats at WED and later WDI stood for ... you don't go back ... you go forward ... you replace with bigger and better and more modern ...

I'd say that hasn't been the direction WDW has taken the past decade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom