spaceship earth scorched!?

Tom

Beta Return
wedway71 said:
anyone who works for disney who loves disney knows that disney service standards are based on THE SMALL THINGS-like no chipped paint and no bad show and this needs to be fixed . if disney starts turning the other cheek for things like this well than the true magic of disney is lost.

I still agree that Disney is held to a higher standard, but this is not just chipped paint on a handrail, or a burnt out light bulb - it's a scorch mark (or very well adhered dirt) on the very top of a very tall (and oddly shaped) building. This is not just an "overnight magic" task for the maintenance crew. When they incur the major expense to get a crane and man-bucket up there, they will be creating a huge annoyance to the guests (remember the castle HCOE rehab?) It will be an eyesore, annoyance, safety hazard and huge cost - for a minor blemish among acres of scenery. Sure, I'd love to see them replace every panel, every night, to make it look "pretty" all the time - but as a business person myself, I understand their position, especially since I read this.....

Pongo said:
Maybe THIS is why the geosphere hasn't been cleaned:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=58379

Not having a sponsor could be a major reason why nothing has been done. No money in = no money out. I don't know about the whole Siemens deal, if it's even true - but I hope they're better to Disney than they are at doing their work right, haha. I'm a Construction Manager and am having bad luck with them on a huge hospital project I'm running now.....that's another story though :p

wedway71

i think at this point it would be helpful to see 2 things.

1-what the actual problem is and
2-does disney mgt in fact know about it and what are they doing to react.
i dont think all the hoopla would be over something that just happened a week ago but people have posted they have noticed it back in october.im truly not convinced that this is a not fixable matter.im not claiming to know about building materials or lightining or how to remove caked on smudge but i cant believe that disney would build something like sse without having a backup plan of how to fix problems like this.im pretty sure its going to be a massive undertaking-more than likely would have to bring cranes in and massive spotlights to do work at night after park closes.im sure its gonna cost a pretty penny too. as far as a lack of sponsorship dollars i can understand but you know -this is my take on sponsorless attractions.overall this is an attraction built,designed,and owned by disney.i know sponsoship money helps keep them up to date and well run but overall its DISNEY'S responsibilty and they should never use that as an excuse.
if i leave an attraction and i feel it was shoody looking i dont go leaving wdw feeling ill will towards fedex, or ge,or nestle i feel it towards disney.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I doubt, until they open their mail this week, anyone invovled with SSE at WDW has any clue that its up there.

Anyone with any ties to the buildings, its apeparance, and/or maitenance when working is usually, for all intents and purposes, under the ball. Thus, unable to see the top of it.

People in parking or on the monorail can see it, even maybe the turnstyles, but the people under the ball are responsible for the ball.

I'm interested in finding out what their reponse is.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A crane isn`t needed for inspection. There is a service hat on the roof of SSE with absailing attatchments - much the way the top of SSE had its Alucobond pannels eased into position originally (before the angle was easier to enable access behind the pannels)

If a crane is needed, it can go backstage of Living Seas. With Disney`s planning, it can be replaced overnight - those pannels go in quick (and remember there are 4 triangles to each pannel)

downwitheisner

marni1971 said:
A crane isn`t needed for inspection. There is a service hatch on the roof of SSE with absailing attatchments

I was about to mention that. I remember seeing a show a few years back that involved people getting on the roof. I don't think it would be too big a deal to get a guy out there to fix the problem. It's not half-way down the sphere, it's near the top!

Tom

Beta Return
marni1971 said:
A crane isn`t needed for inspection. There is a service hat on the roof of SSE with absailing attatchments - much the way the top of SSE had its Alucobond pannels eased into position originally (before the angle was easier to enable access behind the pannels)

If a crane is needed, it can go backstage of Living Seas. With Disney`s planning, it can be replaced overnight - those pannels go in quick (and remember there are 4 triangles to each pannel)

Yes, I too have seen Mickey and others on the top of the ball for photo ops and such - so I agree that there must be an access hatch of some sort (and you probably can see it on your blueprints), but to have a few people working on the replacement of the panels, they'll either have to tie-off VERY securely due to OSHA's strict requirements on tying off during roof work, or use some sort of man-lift or crane - just to make it easier. I don't think they can carry the panels all the way up thru the building and out a hatch to the roof (perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm just assuming) - so they'll need to get material up there somehow.

I'm not trying to argue - in fact, I agree completely that it should be fixed, and I also agree that they are fully capable of this fix - perhaps even overnight - but I'm just saying it's gonna be hella expensive - for something as "minor" as this. I consider it minor since 99% of the guests won't even notice it, and someone on here believes that the maintenance people won't see it either, so it must not be a real eye-sore.

If I were WDW, I'd wait until I had secured another sponsor, and got into a slower time period when the parks close earlier - giving me more time to do the operation in one night.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
edwardtc said:
Yes, I too have seen Mickey and others on the top of the ball for photo ops and such - so I agree that there must be an access hatch of some sort .

Unless of course they were dropped off by a passing spaceship, hence the scortch marks

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Maitenance didn't notice the wand was malfunctioning and saying only "-p-ot" when lit up at night for a week once because it was on the side that faces the parking lot (like these marks) so the chances of them noticing is slim.

Expo_Seeker40

Oh man that's how I know what EPCOT Center was all about LOL. Watching those comericals and videos of either Tuxedo mickey or [what I remember better] Sorcer Mickey standing on top of SSE as the camera swung past him and across the park. This also allowed me to see those intricate palm trees along the sphere. No only a small patch of them remain.

If anyone has any screen stills of these old comericials please try and post them. I need a walk down memory lane. :wave:

beanboon

Unfortunately the scissor lift required to reach the roof hatch has been broken for some time, so getting up there to inspect doesn't seem too likely (unless they've fixed it recently).

marni1971 said:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
edwardtc said:
Yes, I too have seen Mickey and others on the top of the ball for photo ops and such - so I agree that there must be an access hatch of some sort (and you probably can see it on your blueprints), but to have a few people working on the replacement of the panels, they'll either have to tie-off VERY securely due to OSHA's strict requirements on tying off during roof work, or use some sort of man-lift or crane - just to make it easier. I don't think they can carry the panels all the way up thru the building and out a hatch to the roof (perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm just assuming) - so they'll need to get material up there somehow.

I'm not trying to argue - in fact, I agree completely that it should be fixed, and I also agree that they are fully capable of this fix - perhaps even overnight - but I'm just saying it's gonna be hella expensive - for something as "minor" as this. I consider it minor since 99% of the guests won't even notice it, and someone on here believes that the maintenance people won't see it either, so it must not be a real eye-sore.

If I were WDW, I'd wait until I had secured another sponsor, and got into a slower time period when the parks close earlier - giving me more time to do the operation in one night.

I understand. I meant use the hatch only for after hours inspections; a crane will be needed for replacement - the pannel design means they can only be fitted from the exterior, they are around 5 ft side and connect to aluminium supports protruding from the internal membrane. If the lift is broken (surprise surprise) surely a good pair of ladders will work too?

DisneyChik17

johnvca said:
i can't believe that there are 11 pages worth of speculation about a dirt mark on SSE.

Ahh...the beauty of this site. You see it could be dirt, it could be fire ash from lightning, mold or a multitude of things, and everyone on this site will be determined to find out. LOL! :lol:
WELCOME TO THE BOADRS!!!!!!!:wave:

Kynar

Alucobond Material

Alucobond is a brand name for a composite metal panel. you can find info on it at www.alucobond.com. You could make a house out of it but probalby not a car..you probably will not like the price it will cost you per SF.

It is an .020 aluminum skin both exterior and interior with a composite core between...it normally is about 4mm thick and is cut and formed into shapes. It is quite commonly used on building and you probably have seen it many times..just not in a great application as SSE. It was quite an undertaking.

As far as being burn marks..If someone could get a good picture of it..i might be able to tell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom