Space Mountain trains cycling today (Sat 26 Sep) - photo

_Scar

Despite all of the money spent on DL SM, I actually prefer WDW SM in its current state. The shakiness and bumpiness is what its all about for me. If I want smooth, I can go for Everest or RnR. SM offers something very raw and different. I dont want everything to turn into a smooth ride with onboard audio.

I thought rollercoasters were supposed to be smooth. Every time I'm on Space Mountain, I feel like it's going to collapse. A space ride, especially, should be smooth. What makes the final frontier so bumpy? Lotsa astroids? :lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Why waste time typing it, when you can just put it in your sig?:lookaroun
:rolleyes:

Why, did you?

No, I have no desire to mimic tongue in cheek foolishness.
Well however you look at it, the fact of the matter is that at the moment, Disney arent going to drastically change it. So thats they way it is. I'm going to choose to enjoy it as I always have.

As will I. It's not like I will suddenly hate SM.:lol:

It is possible to think what could have been, however. Human nature.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I thought rollercoasters were supposed to be smooth. Every time I'm on Space Mountain, I feel like it's going to collapse. A space ride, especially, should be smooth. What makes the final frontier so bumpy? Lotsa astroids? :lol:

Well the new generation of coasters are smooth, but going back to the old days (and remember SM is from the old days), they were as bumpy as hell.

I find SM's charm to be in the small ride vehicles, being very close to the track, and having it be as bumpy as hell. The falling apart feel is totally unique in modern rides (and yet you know its safe). If SM was silky smooth I think it would feel very tame. Its the bumpyness and roughness that takes it up a notch - like a classic wooden coaster.

If we're getting specific, I think space travel is anything but smooth. Assuming the shuttle launch simulator at the cape is accurate (which they tell us it is), then its considerably bumpier than SM could ever be. I actually felt like I was about to lose teeth in that simulator LOL

muteki

Well, with all the cookies flying around, that is a good way to look at it :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
:rolleyes:

Why, did you?

No, I have no desire to mimic tongue in cheek foolishness.

As will I. It's not like I will suddenly hate SM.:lol:

It is possible to think what could have been, however. Human nature.

Yeah, but thats how you end up being like Jim Hill. The constant "oh it could have been" - "this is what they were GOING to do" etc.

What would be nice to do, and what is actually feasible are very different things.

Of course I think about what it could have been, but some posters on here will be going on about this for YEARS - seriously.

EPCOT Explorer

Pst. It was a joke. I know you would not mimic him. EVER.:lol:
:p:wave:

Well the new generation of coasters are smooth, but going back to the old days (and remember SM is from the old days), they were as bumpy as hell.

I find SM's charm to be in the small ride vehicles, being very close to the track, and having it be as bumpy as hell. The falling apart feel is totally unique in modern rides (and yet you know its safe). If SM was silky smooth I think it would feel very tame. Its the bumpyness and roughness that takes it up a notch - like a classic wooden coaster.

If we're getting specific, I think space travel is anything but smooth. Assuming the shuttle launch simulator at the cape is accurate (which they tell us it is), then its considerably bumpier than SM could ever be. I actually felt like I was about to lose teeth in that simulator
LOL

Interesting interpretation....:lol: However, do you think that Disney really wants it to feel realistic? This is a fantasy flight through the cosmos....

When the average person thinks of a Starship cutting through space, we imagine it to be smooth, sleek, and like it's floating. Not bumpy.

Then again, maybe this is all different perception.:lookaroun:lol:

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah, but thats how you end up being like Jim Hill. The constant "oh it could have been" - "this is what they were GOING to do" etc.

What would be nice to do, and what is actually feasible are very different things.

Of course I think about what it could have been, but some posters on here will be going on about this for YEARS -
seriously.

:lol::lol: Very true.

Just look at BK.

I don't let it get me upset, though....It's all part of the History. :)

WDW Vacationer

Of course I think about what it could have been, but some posters on here will be going on about this for YEARS - seriously.

Of course they will. Nothing is good enough for some.

TP2000

Despite all of the money spent on DL SM, I actually prefer WDW SM in its current state. The shakiness and bumpiness is what its all about for me. If I want smooth, I can go for Everest or RnR. SM offers something very raw and different. I dont want everything to turn into a smooth ride with onboard audio.

I can understand that, since that is how many West Coasters feel about Disneyland's Matterhorn Bobsleds. Matterhorn is bumpy and wild and beloved by millions, and next door in Tomorrowland, Space Mountain is sleek and smooth and modern and equally beloved.

WDI can still pull a bunch of surprises out as far as dome audio and effects go. Disneyland's Space Mountain reopened on Friday after a two week refurbishment to install and debut Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy for HalloweenTime. It's an awesome holiday overlay with very spooky digital effects, entirely new on-board audio and a haunted plotline, plus an exterior dome show done with these amazing digital projectors and booming speakers. And it's wildly popular and is getting rave reviews online.

Here's a video from last night at Disneyland, showing some of the cool exterior "dome shows" they do for the Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy queue and Tomorrowland area. (Excuse the poor audio quality with the Tomorrowland Terrace dance club band and gabbing teenagers in the background, but you'll get the idea.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC9_lG_8ILY

If WDI can do that for Disneyland in a two week rehab, imagine what they've got cooked up for just the exterior of WDW's Space Mountain!

I'm sure there are plenty of new effects and dome audio coming to the WDW Space Mountain after the 8 month rehab there. There just has to be.

EPCOT Explorer

If WDI can do that for Disneyland in a two week rehab, imagine what they've got cooked up for just the exterior of WDW's Space Mountain!

I'm sure there are plenty of new effects and dome audio coming to the WDW Space Mountain after the 8 month rehab there. There just has to be.

Exactly. You Disneylanders don't seem to mind that it's no longer creaky, huh?:lol:

There just has to be is right....But this is TDO, after all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom