Space Mountain trains cycling today (Sat 26 Sep) - photo

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
As am I!

WDI has had grand plans for WDW's Space Mountain for years but instead TDO waits till the ride is on the verge of collapse and then shuts it down for a couple months to do the bare minimum to keep it running! Disgraceful and unacceptable.

and SM's redo would not have affected the FL redo in the slightest. That's like saying The Little Mermaid e-ticket at DCA is affecting the budget for Carsland or Star Tours II. It's nonsense talk.

WDI have grand plans for EVERYTHING. Does it mean they are all doable in the real world? No.

EPCOT Explorer

I find SM to usually have relatively short waits, and not just in the off-season. Part of that is that they're renowned more than any other attraction I've known Ops from for exagerating their wait time by using tricks to both increase the number on the sign and to have people standing outside to make you think it's long inside. Even in the busiest days of summer, I've never seen Space with an hours long line (what the sign says notwithstanding).

This is not relevant to the popularity, just saying. Compared to other rides of similar popularity and capacity, waiting in line for SM isn't usually going to take as long as it seems or a large chunk out of your day.

This is 100% off topic.
Nah, I find it very on topic.

On the other hand, Splash seems to ALWAYS be longer than the posted time. I wonder whats up.:shrug:

WDWFigment

Considering that I've seen the rocket that was mocked up *with* on-board audio installed for testing? Yes, I'm with SirGoofy on this one!

I don't know if there was any question about the validity of this post, but I can verify that this definitely happened (not him seeing it, I have no idea if csm actually saw it ;) I just know it existed at one point).

The Conundrum

Unless I'm very much mistaken, you don't know anything about Phil Holmes except what you read online. The online world is very distorted.

Just look at the MK then and now and you can see a huge decline. Track record speaks volumes. MK used to get updated and refurbished constantly, even with 2 other theme parks and a 3rd under construction. For example at the start of the 1990s we recieved brand new Splash Mountain with new frontierland station in 1992 and a brand new version of Tomorrowland in 1994(and neither budget impacted the other btw). Then Erin Wallace and later Phil Holmes came in and we would be thankful to get a cartoon overlay of an existing ride like stitch and maintenance declined across the board.

Concerning Internet sources, those same sources that report that Phil Holmes is bad have also reported several other things that turned out to be true in the past. I don't have to work with Holmes for years to see that this guy doesnt get it.

WDI have grand plans for EVERYTHING. Does it mean they are all doable in the real world? No.

I think what has happened is that you have been conditioned over the years by the modern Walt Disney Company to accept less from them. As I have said, MK, just like all the other Disney parks around the world, used to have much tighter refurbishment schedules (even when it was the only theme park in orlando!) in order to keep up good show. In addition, the park would add new things constantly even as recently as the mid-90s when it got Splash Mountain and then New Tomorrowland and then....it was decided by new management that Disney would no longer be spending money adding new attractions but rather REMOVING current attractions (20k, skyway, etc.) as well other amenities in order to cut costs and make the stock look better. It became a solely finance oriented business rather than a customer oriented business (which leads to be better long term financial results).

Tokyo Disneyland/DisneySea and what's going on in DCA AND WDW's own history proves that WDI's grand plans are doable in the real world. Space Mountain has been refreshed at every single MK around the world but WDW's will get shafted because of poor management.

juan

Nah, I find it very on topic.

On the other hand, Splash seems to ALWAYS be longer than the posted time. I wonder whats up.:shrug:

It along with other big draws like TT fall into the wait-time "starve-stuff" cycle.
People see a 20 min wait and then a bunch hop in line without giving the time card a chance to update. This large influx of people then raises the actual wait up to lets say 60 min. Once the wait sign catches up to the influx, people stop entering in as great of numbers and the actual wait-time drops with the wait sign lagging behind.

Also events like parades or big shows cause a huge group of Fastpassers to enter at the same time and thus cause the main line to back up.

mikeymouse

I can understand that, since that is how many West Coasters feel about Disneyland's Matterhorn Bobsleds. Matterhorn is bumpy and wild and beloved by millions, and next door in Tomorrowland, Space Mountain is sleek and smooth and modern and equally beloved.

WDI can still pull a bunch of surprises out as far as dome audio and effects go. Disneyland's Space Mountain reopened on Friday after a two week refurbishment to install and debut Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy for HalloweenTime. It's an awesome holiday overlay with very spooky digital effects, entirely new on-board audio and a haunted plotline, plus an exterior dome show done with these amazing digital projectors and booming speakers. And it's wildly popular and is getting rave reviews online.

Here's a video from last night at Disneyland, showing some of the cool exterior "dome shows" they do for the Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy queue and Tomorrowland area. (Excuse the poor audio quality with the Tomorrowland Terrace dance club band and gabbing teenagers in the background, but you'll get the idea.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC9_lG_8ILY

If WDI can do that for Disneyland in a two week rehab, imagine what they've got cooked up for just the exterior of WDW's Space Mountain!

I'm sure there are plenty of new effects and dome audio coming to the WDW Space Mountain after the 8 month rehab there. There just has to be.

I bet WDW will get that lighting like DL. It would certainly be in sync with the new TTA lighting.

IlikeDW

Just look at the MK then and now and you can see a huge decline. Track record speaks volumes. MK used to get updated and refurbished constantly, even with 2 other theme parks and a 3rd under construction. For example at the start of the 1990s we recieved brand new Splash Mountain with new frontierland station in 1992 and a brand new version of Tomorrowland in 1994(and neither budget impacted the other btw). Then Erin Wallace and later Phil Holmes came in and we would be thankful to get a cartoon overlay of an existing ride like stitch and maintenance declined across the board.

Concerning Internet sources, those same sources that report that Phil Holmes is bad have also reported several other things that turned out to be true in the past. I don't have to work with Holmes for years to see that this guy doesnt get it.

Your are always so smug in your version of the "truth". If Phil holmes had the resources and freedom to do whatever he wanted to and made all of the choices independently then shame on him. Since very very few here actually know the real truth shame on you for passing judgement based on your guess of what the "truth" is.

The Conundrum

Your are always so smug in your version of the "truth". If Phil holmes had the resources and freedom to do whatever he wanted to and made all of the choices independently then shame on him. Since very very few here actually know the real truth shame on you for passing judgement based on your guess of what the "truth" is.

How is what I said a lie? Do you have any facts or figures to show that I am not being truthful or trying to spin this???

IlikeDW

How is what I said a lie? Do you have any facts or figures to show that I am not being truthful or trying to spin this???

I never said it was a lie(bit defense there) and I even agree with you that if all of the decisions were his to make then he fails. My point was we don't know how much freedom he had, is it possible he had to fight to keep the funding and projects that were done. the truth as always is probably somewhere in between. Did not mean to offend you just point out there are two sides to every story.

The Conundrum

I never said it was a lie(bit defense there) and I even agree with you that if all of the decisions were his to make then he fails. My point was we don't know how much freedom he had, is it possible he had to fight to keep the funding and projects that were done. the truth as always is probably somewhere in between. Did not mean to offend you just point out there are two sides to every story.

Possible but extremly unlikely because when the management changed at the top and at Disneyland. Disneyland was now able to get things like DCA redo with Carsland, Little Mermaid, Star Tours II constantly refurbished attractions at both, etc. If Phil Holmes fought as hard as Jim Macphee did for the 25th. anniversary at Epcot or Matt Ouimet for more funding at Disneyland, he would have definetly got it from Iger and Lasseter. But the fact is MK has actually gotten worse since Iger/Lasseter have taken over whereas all the other disney resorts worldwide have actually improved. So when someone like WDW1974 tells us that it was Lasseter with the WDI who convinced Iger to approve New Fantasyland for WDW rather than Holmes it should come as no big shock.

Phil Holmes, Erin Wallace, Meg Crofton, and Jay Rasolu are holdovers from Eisner's really bad management team and they are really doing damage to the Disney brand in WDW. Eventually something will be done about these jokers but many of us feel that something should be done sooner rather than later. TDO needs to be reorganized and weakend in the same way TDA was thanks to Matt Quimet and John Lasseter.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
You are partially mistaken.;):lol: Like I told you, it's a mixed bag for me.

I do have contacts in the real world, too.:wave:

You may do, but I just see you repeating stuff that I see posted here. If a few certain people post something, you relay it constantly afterwards. A lot of the time those things you read and then continue to repeat are just wrong.

EPCOT Explorer

You may do, but I just see you repeating stuff that I see posted here. If a few certain people post something, you relay it constantly afterwards. A lot of the time those things you read and then continue to repeat are just wrong.

If it's concurrent to what I hear, I feel that is confirmation.:shrug:

Honestly, it's all subjective.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

That is EXACTLY what you need to do to actually know anything about the subject. Just repeating stuff you've read online doesnt mean a thing. A lot of people who like to blab on the internet also have grudges against people. They also feed their ego by spreading info that is controversial and makes them seem like an insider. Phil Holmes might be great, might not be great - I don't know - never met him, never worked for him. Some of you could do well to take a similar approach instead of taking the internet lynch mob mentality - it gets old to read.

TP2000

Dont forget about this during the rest of the year, simple yet it makes a big difference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd2FKvag5UI

How could I forget the rest of the year?! And then there's the amazing lighting package they've recently installed for year-round use on Sleeping Beauty Castle, the new night lighting shows in Pixie Hollow that debuted this summer, the lighting overlays and new digitial projectors they gave Fantasmic! last year, etc.

WDI has been adding digital projection and LED based lighting effects to many major Disneyland shows, buildings and facades in the last few years. The creepy Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy dome shows are only the latest. They are getting very good at it, as it's truly an art form.

After an 8 month rehab they aren't just going to let WDW's Space Mountain sit there with some basic industrial lighting fixtures. I'm sure digital projections and LED tech is on the way for the exterior of WDW's Space Mountain.

Here's the latest video from this weekend at Disneyland's new Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy and the exterior dome shows. I am 99% postive that this same audio/visual technology (installed in just a two week rehab at Disneyland) will be debuting on WDW's Space Mountain a few months from now! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COTUDNB7sWU

And as someone who watched it in person last night, YouTube doesn't do it any justice. But it should be a taste of what is coming to WDW in November.

T-1MILLION

That is EXACTLY what you need to do to actually know anything about the subject. Just repeating stuff you've read online doesnt mean a thing. A lot of people who like to blab on the internet also have grudges against people. They also feed their ego by spreading info that is controversial and makes them seem like an insider. Phil Holmes might be great, might not be great - I don't know - never met him, never worked for him. Some of you could do well to take a similar approach instead of taking the internet lynch mob mentality - it gets old to read.

I get what you are saying with jumping into the lynch mob mentality. But when people are passionate about such a place or a part of their life and you know the quality is often lacking and then you find out the names of those higher up who could make changes...it is easy to do so. I do agree though. Some are just jumping at names.

At the same time it also gets old to read stories of the parks in bad shape (especially MK) and hearing badly run operations and then having some people defend it saying things as insane as the clicking animatronics sound add to the classic Disney charm... :dazzle:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom