Space Mountain trains cycling today (Sat 26 Sep) - photo

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Someone found a permit that had like 17.8 million on it. They posted it on the forum. But I just don't see that ammount of work. And the timeframe seems too long for such a short list of changes.

Have you got a link? I'd like to see it.

SirGoofy

Martin said they were upgrading the supports so they would have the option of adding new cars with on-board audio later. Since you have such a knee jerk reaction to the word "prefurb", how would you describe such a two step process?:shrug:

I'd really like to know what Imagineering calls it also. :veryconfu

But there's absolutely no guarantee that that will ever happen. There's no guarantee on board audio will happen, nor do we even know if the supports were upgraded. And WDI is probably just praying they get their hands on the ride 5 years from now and they'll be able to do something.

A "prefurb" would be closing the ride again in a year to complete the changes, not 5-10. Besides, WDI does not look at things like that.

jt04

Have you got a link? I'd like to see it.

No, I think it was in the OrSen article when the project was announced. Perhaps someone else remembers the details. But I know for a fact it was between 15 and 20 million dollars.

I had it in my signature for a long time. It read something like, "$17.8 million? We got punked". :lol:

Of course that was before the new Fantasyland was announced. That made up for the SM budget to say the least.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
No, I think it was in the OrSen article when the project was announced. Perhaps someone else remembers the details. But I know for a fact it was between 15 and 20 million dollars.

I had it in my signature for a long time. It read something like, "$17.8 million? We got punked". :lol:

Of course that was before the new Fantasyland was announced. That made up for the SM budget to say the least.

A lot of budget figures for these things are thrown around. The margin of error is usually +- $50 million LOL.

I dont have any info on what it cost. Either way, if it was that kind of figure, I'm sure they got what they wanted out of it, otherwise they arent going to be spending that kind of figure. Mickey is very careful with his money.

jt04

But there's absolutely no guarantee that that will ever happen. There's no guarantee on board audio will happen, nor do we even know if the supports were upgraded. And WDI is probably just praying they get their hands on the ride 5 years from now and they'll be able to do something.

A "prefurb" would be closing the ride again in a year to complete the changes, not 5-10. Besides, WDI does not look at things like that.

Fair enough. As for WDI "not looking at things like that". They should start. We would all be better off for it.

Of course that is true for all engineered projects...IMO :)

SirGoofy

Fair enough. As for WDI "not looking at things like that". They should start. We would all be better off for it.

Of course that is true for all engineered projects...IMO :)

Believe me, I don't think it's necessarily a bad way of looking at things.

It's just not how they do. And I get the knee jerk sometimes because you're so sure it is the way things work.:lol:

jt04

A lot of budget figures for these things are thrown around. The margin of error is usually +- $50 million LOL.

I dont have any info on what it cost. Either way, if it was that kind of figure, I'm sure they got what they wanted out of it, otherwise they arent going to be spending that kind of figure. Mickey is very careful with his money.

Too careful. Epcot Center would never happen today I'm afraid. I'm just extremely happy FL got approved. I believe that is the best decision they have made at WDW in the last 25 years. And I say that for many reasons. "Brilliant", as you Brits would say.

jt04

Believe me, I don't think it's necessarily a bad way of looking at things.

It's just not how they do. And I get the knee jerk sometimes because you're so sure it is the way things work.:lol:

Maybe if I say it enough they will get the idea. :lol:

EpcotServo

Even if the Bigfoot of Disney, the "Prefurb", is caught red-handed, as a Guest, I have the right to still be disappointed.
:shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

How is it a waste of time? It means that one of MKs most popular rides can carry on operating. You cant do all refurb work overnight.
Heh! Yeah, that's true...But Steve, there is something to be said for regular Maint. You mentioned that the track had been worked on before, right?

If so, why was the rest of the ride reportedly in such bad condition? :(
Even if the Bigfoot of Disney, the "Prefurb", is caught red-handed, as a Guest, I have the right to still be disappointed.
:shrug:

Exactly.

meganw1985

I personally don't care if they don't change a thing about SM. I've loved it always. If it needed some work to keep it going smoothly, then that's fine. But if they don't do any drastic changes, that's fine with me. People would just complain about how Disney changes everything and can't keep things the same. Well, SM is! :lol: But anyway, since they are testing, is there a chance it might open early? Say, 1-1/2 - 2 weeks early? Omg it would be the highlight of my son's life if it was open while we were there!!! I'm not going to hold my breath, but I am going to keep my fingers tightly crossed and hope for some Disney magic and pixie dust to be sprinkled over my trip!!! :p

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Heh! Yeah, that's true...But Steve, there is something to be said for regular Maint. You mentioned that the track had been worked on before, right?

If so, why was the rest of the ride reportedly in such bad condition? :(

Exactly.

Bits of the job have been chiseled away at over the years in regular maint, but it required a total closure to redo the ride system. It couldnt be done overnight. At the same time they have done more of the track work that was needed.

SM has basiaclly needed a total closure for some times. In much the same was Everest does. However, operational pressures of the guest expectancy for the big rides to be open makes it difficult to do a total close.

EPCOT Explorer

Bits of the job have been chiseled away at over the years in regular maint, but it required a total closure to redo the ride system. It couldnt be done overnight. At the same time they have done more of the track work that was needed.

SM has basiaclly needed a total closure for some times. In much the same was Everest does. However, operational pressures of the guest expectancy for the big rides to be open makes it difficult to do a total close.

I see.

It wasn't a waste of time for the work that was imperative, then, but this was a golden opportunity to really make the ride/guest experience, too.

Same with EE...If they go in and fix the track, and do nothing for the Yeti, it'll be a step back, IMHO.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I see.

It wasn't a waste of time for the work that was imperative, then, but this was a golden opportunity to really make the ride/guest experience, too.

Same with EE...If they go in and fix the track, and do nothing for the Yeti, it'll be a step back, IMHO.

Changing the show isnt a priority right now. SM always has hours long waits and is incredibly popular in its current format. The money and resources are going into FL to create something new. We as fans may not agree witht hat, as we walywas want everying pushed to 110%, but that isnt going to happen. All in all, I'd rather see the new FL and SM reopen without show changes, as oppsed to getting a DL style SM and no FL (or a hacked down FL).

Despite all of the money spent on DL SM, I actually prefer WDW SM in its current state. The shakiness and bumpiness is what its all about for me. If I want smooth, I can go for Everest or RnR. SM offers something very raw and different. I dont want everything to turn into a smooth ride with onboard audio.

SirGoofy

Despite all of the money spent on DL SM, I actually prefer WDW SM in its current state. The shakiness and bumpiness is what its all about for me. If I want smooth, I can go for Everest or RnR. SM offers something very raw and different. I dont want everything to turn into a smooth ride with onboard audio.

I think the majority of guests would disagree with you.

EPCOT Explorer

Changing the show isnt a priority right now. SM always has hours long waits and is incredibly popular in its current format. The money and resources are going into FL to create something new. We as fans may not agree witht hat, as we walywas want everying pushed to 110%, but that isnt going to happen. All in all, I'd rather see the new FL and SM reopen without show changes, as oppsed to getting a DL style SM and no FL (or a hacked down FL).

I can't say I agree with you at all. :eek: Sorry! :eek: :)

There's a HUGE part that nostalgia plays in this, but there's the general rule of Show. Keeping the show in a dated condition (IMHO!) is bad show. They can keep the general feeling of the ride in it's aesthetics, and even music, but it can be modern too. Look at HM. It still feels like it's 1971 original...but it's been plussed, added to. It's no longer mediocre in terms of presentation.

As for FL/SM...I would not be sure on this, but you might...Are the budgets really that close? I would think that SM was a separate entity and budgeted separately and before FL was being allocated?

As for guest experience... It's viewed as dated, and that's just in talking to people. People love it, yes, but I don't think there would be complaints it it opened up sparkling and new :D (while still adhering to the nostalgia part. :D)

WDW Vacationer

There's a HUGE part that nostalgia plays in this, but there's the general rule of Show. Keeping the show in a dated condition (IMHO!) is bad show. They can keep the general feeling of the ride in it's aesthetics, and even music, but it can be modern too. Look at HM. It still feels like it's 1971 original...but it's been plussed, added to. It's no longer mediocre in terms of presentation.

As for FL/SM...I would not be sure on this, but you might...Are the budgets really that close? I would think that SM was a separate entity and budgeted separately and before FL was being allocated?

As for guest experience... It's viewed as dated, and that's just in talking to people. People love it, yes, but I don't think there would be complaints it it opened up sparkling and new :D (while still adhering to the nostalgia part. :D)
Why waste time typing it, when you can just put it in your sig?:lookaroun

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Well however you look at it, the fact of the matter is that at the moment, Disney arent going to drastically change it. So thats they way it is. I'm going to choose to enjoy it as I always have.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom