Space Mountain trains cycling today (Sat 26 Sep) - photo

TP2000

Exactly. You Disneylanders don't seem to mind that it's no longer creaky, huh?:lol:

Matterhorn Bobsleds go beyond "creaky", and solidly into the realm of "jerky". :lol:

Looking at the video of Disneyland's new Ghost Galaxy dome shows again, and considering what Disneyland USA does on the Small World facade for Christmas, clearly WDI has done lots of research into digitial projection technology in recent years.

So now I'm thinking that's exactly why Magic Kingdom just tore down the Skyway building and are painting the game arcade, to allow for clearer and unobstructed views of the Space Mountain dome from all over Tomorrowland. All so they can put on the same type of Disneyland-style digital dome shows each night on the newly opened Space Mountain.

For reference, what is likely coming to WDW's Space Mountain now that the view has been opened up, here's Disneyland's Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy short dome shows every 8 minutes at HalloweenTime again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC9_lG_8ILY

And here's Disneyland's It's A Small World Holiday 90 second facade shows every 15 minutes at Christmas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nIuZWVLcjg

They wouldn't tear down the Skyway station just to let the Space Mountain dome sit there quietly lit in white bulbs for another 30 years. Something is up with the exterior dome, I'm sure of it.

EPCOT Explorer

Matterhorn Bobsleds go beyond "creaky", and solidly into the realm of "jerky". :lol:

Looking at the video of Disneyland's new Ghost Galaxy dome shows again, and considering what Disneyland USA does on the Small World facade for Christmas, clearly WDI has done lots of research into digitial projection technology in recent years.

So now I'm thinking that's exactly why Magic Kingdom just tore down the Skyway building and are painting the game arcade, to allow for clearer and unobstructed views of the Space Mountain dome from all over Tomorrowland. All so they can put on the same type of Disneyland-style digital dome shows each night on the newly opened Space Mountain.

For reference, what is likely coming to WDW's Space Mountain now that the view has been opened up, here's Disneyland's Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy short dome shows every 8 minutes at HalloweenTime again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC9_lG_8ILY

And here's Disneyland's It's A Small World Holiday 90 second facade shows every 15 minutes at Christmas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nIuZWVLcjg

They wouldn't tear down the Skyway station just to let the Space Mountain dome sit there quietly lit in white bulbs for another 30 years. Something is up with the exterior dome, I'm sure of it.

Oooooooooh, I like the way you think.:eek:

I hope it's true, I really, really do.

TP2000

Oooooooooh, I like the way you think.:eek:

I hope it's true, I really, really do.

I'm surprised that it took a Disneylander to come up with the theory. I saw the Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy dome shows last night myself while waiting in line, and a grainy amateur YouTube video doesn't begin to do it justice.

The exterior of Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy is spooky and creepy and scary and very technically advanced. (The inside show is amazing too) They spent big bucks on those dome projectors, that's for sure. I can only imagine what it must take to program a dozen different shows like that; creative artistry and technical wizardry combined.

They aren't just going to let WDW's Space Mountain dome sit there with flourescent white lighting now.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm surprised that it took a Disneylander to come up with the theory. I saw the Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy dome shows last night myself while waiting in line, and a grainy amateur YouTube video doesn't begin to do it justice.

The exterior of Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy is spooky and creepy and scary and very technically advanced. (The inside show is amazing too) They spent big bucks on those dome projectors, that's for sure. I can only imagine what it must take to program a dozen different shows like that; creative artistry and technical wizardry combined.

They aren't just going to let WDW's Space Mountain dome sit there with flourescent white lighting now

Well, I had hoped, but thought I was the only one.:eek:

And your bolded point...Our SM has been sitting in the "dark" for almost 5 years now while yours, and every other SM has sparkled. While they might be refurbing it, it would not surprise me if they skipped us again. Such is the way of the TDO.:dazzle::(

Kuhio

Well the new generation of coasters are smooth, but going back to the old days (and remember SM is from the old days), they were as bumpy as hell.

I find SM's charm to be in the small ride vehicles, being very close to the track, and having it be as bumpy as hell. The falling apart feel is totally unique in modern rides (and yet you know its safe). If SM was silky smooth I think it would feel very tame. Its the bumpyness and roughness that takes it up a notch - like a classic wooden coaster.

I agree 100% with everything in this post and Steve's previous ones. I love SM just as it is. I also happen to love the Matterhorn Bobsleds -- they're by far my two favorite currently-existing Disney attractions (the original JII would be #1 if it still existed).

The inline seating on both is relatively rare among roller coasters, and adds immeasurably to the appeal. I like the feeling of being exposed on either side, and not having someone else next to me while I'm speeding along. If you're in the first seat, you might as well be on your own private ride. Being close to the track also adds an immense visceral sensation that you don't get when you're sitting on the equivalent of a raised chair on a moving platform.

Both the MK's Space Mountain and the Bobsleds are bumpy, but not intolerably so. Frankly, I'm doubtful that the majority of people who ride our Space Mountain think it's too bumpy -- I just think that a lot of people who post on message boards think so, and are particularly vocal about it.

What I really like about both the Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain and the Bobsleds are the track layouts -- both have a great variety of turns in both directions, along with unexpected dips and rises. There are a number of places in SM that you get pretty significant airtime. DL's Space Mountain might be smoother, but the track layout is so boring -- drops so slight they're barely discernible, and right turn after right turn after right turn. Sure, it's dark and has good effects, but those only go so far -- the ride is, above all else, a roller coaster, and my primary criterion for judging it is how it rides as a roller coaster.

All I really want from the refurb is to have a darker mountain, with better onride effects. Onboard audio would be nice; I don't think it would detract from the experience, but I also don't think it's necessary. No one argues that Big Thunder or Everest needs onboard audio, after all. It's only because the other Space Mountains have it that its omission in the Magic Kingdom feels like some kind of flaw. But none of the other Space Mountains have dual tracks, inline seating, or the same queue experience, either.

I think the MK's SM should focus on its strengths and make them better, rather than try to be something it's not. Its charm is due precisely to the things that make it different. Whatever happens with the refurb, I'll be looking forward eagerly to riding SM the next time I'm at WDW.

The Conundrum

Well, I had hoped, but thought I was the only one.:eek:

And your bolded point...Our SM has been sitting in the "dark" for almost 5 years now while yours, and every other SM has sparkled. While they might be refurbing it, it would not surprise me if they skipped us again. Such is the way of the TDO.:dazzle::(

phil holmes doesn't care about MK fans

SirGoofy

phil holmes doesn't care about MK fans

th_kanye_west_george_bush_doesnt_care_.jpg

:lol:

The Conundrum

Considering that I've seen the rocket that was mocked up *with* on-board audio installed for testing? Yes, I'm with SirGoofy on this one!

As am I!

WDI has had grand plans for WDW's Space Mountain for years but instead TDO waits till the ride is on the verge of collapse and then shuts it down for a couple months to do the bare minimum to keep it running! Disgraceful and unacceptable.

and SM's redo would not have affected the FL redo in the slightest. That's like saying The Little Mermaid e-ticket at DCA is affecting the budget for Carsland or Star Tours II. It's nonsense talk.

Mansion Butler

I was on the TTA on the 25th when I could hear trains moving, could see the lift chain moving, and heard voices over the loud speakers calling out sections of track and saying vehicles were entering them and other such stuff, but I didn't see a train.

BUT! A little later I went on and my vehicle stopped for a while. And it happened to stop right in front of a wide-ish space between the curtained windows and the wall before you leave, and I got a pretty good view of the insides, track included! Looks nice, actually. My memory may just suck, but the track looks more like a modern tubular steel coaster with banked curves and a lot less superstructure.

WDW Vacationer

I was on the TTA on the 25th when I could hear trains moving, could see the lift chain moving, and heard voices over the loud speakers calling out sections of track and saying vehicles were entering them and other such stuff, but I didn't see a train.

BUT! A little later I went on and my vehicle stopped for a while. And it happened to stop right in front of a wide-ish space between the curtained windows and the wall before you leave, and I got a pretty good view of the insides, track included! Looks nice, actually. My memory may just suck, but the track looks more like a modern tubular steel coaster with banked curves and a lot less superstructure.

Interesting. Thanks!

Mansion Butler

Maybe on the boards but I think it's a much bigger deal for SM to be down then HM.
I'll disagree with that anecdotally. And non-anecdotally I'll submit Philarharmagic of all things as the most popular attraction. It scores through the roof on those exit polls and gets an astoundingly hi percentage of guests visiting.

Mansion Butler

SM always has hours long waits
I find SM to usually have relatively short waits, and not just in the off-season. Part of that is that they're renowned more than any other attraction I've known Ops from for exagerating their wait time by using tricks to both increase the number on the sign and to have people standing outside to make you think it's long inside. Even in the busiest days of summer, I've never seen Space with an hours long line (what the sign says notwithstanding).

This is not relevant to the popularity, just saying. Compared to other rides of similar popularity and capacity, waiting in line for SM isn't usually going to take as long as it seems or a large chunk out of your day.

This is 100% off topic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom