Space Mountain trains cycling today (Sat 26 Sep) - photo

Jasonflz

I never got that "right turn thing" while riding Space Mountain at Disneyland. I never bothered to think about which direction the rocket was turning. :eek:

So I found a Youtube video of it with the lights on, and there are more right hand turns than left ones; 12 right turns and 5 left turns. Here's the video, it's fun to watch, and appears to be a Cast Member party where they ran the ride with the lights on for them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXPFgtfW_yM

I've been through both Space Mountain queues, actually in real life instead of via YouTube, and both have similar spacey "ambiance", although Disneyland's looks and feels far more 21st century modern instead of Gerald Ford disco modern like WDW's still does.

Out of curiosity, if they replace the lighting in the WDW queue to the LED's and hi-def projection screens that Disneyland has, will you be sad that WDW's Space lost its 1975 "ambiance"? If they brought the digital projection exterior dome shows from Disneyland to WDW's Space Mountain, will that ruin the night-time look of the dome for you?

What if WDW's Space Mountain dome looked and sounded like this at night and you could see it from throughout Tomorrowland?... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COTUDNB7sWU

Is that good technology and a plus of the show, or bad technology that never should have replaced the white flourescent lights from the 1970's?

:) It does look like a good ride. I just feel like it wouldn't fit with the theme of our Tomorrowland as well as it does now. I do hope we get some nice visual upgrades though. The queue is fine as is.

TP2000

:) It does look like a good ride. I just feel like it wouldn't fit with the theme of our Tomorrowland as well as it does now. I do hope we get some nice visual upgrades though. The queue is fine as is.

It's just for five weeks for the HalloweenTime promotion. It goes back to regular Space Mountain in November. This is the first year for it in Disneyland USA, after debuting in '07 at Hong Kong Disneyland's Halloween promotion, and it's getting rave reviews and is wildly popular in Anaheim this year. The exterior dome shows at night are a surprise hit.

And for those keeping score at home, I just watched a YouTube video of WDW's Space Mountain and counted 8 left turns and 6 right turns, at least on the right hand track. :lol:

It's an interesting video to compare/contrast with the Disneyland version with 5 left turns and 12 right turns. Here's WDW Space Mountain with the lights on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoEd8rGhKEM

magicmaya

It's just for five weeks for the HalloweenTime promotion. It goes back to regular Space Mountain in November. This is the first year for it in Disneyland USA, after debuting in '07 at Hong Kong Disneyland's Halloween promotion, and it's getting rave reviews and is wildly popular in Anaheim this year. The exterior dome shows at night are a surprise hit.

And for those keeping score at home, I just watched a YouTube video of WDW's Space Mountain and counted 8 left turns and 6 right turns, at least on the right hand track. :lol:

It's an interesting video to compare/contrast with the Disneyland version with 5 left turns and 12 right turns. Here's WDW Space Mountain with the lights on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoEd8rGhKEM

ewww, dirty! :lookaroun:lol:

WDW1974

Accepting this conclusion requires accepting an important premise: The Walt Disney Company is infallible.

I don't accept that premise. I realize any argument here is made with imperfect information and thus no conclusion can ever be irrefutable or fully conclusive, but to say that we can't pass judgment is a bit much.

You mean Disney ISN'T infallible?!??! Shocking.

As to passing judgment, I do believe anyone can offer an opinion. I don't care if you have no inside knowledge or not, but if you visit the MK and it is in much worse shape than on a visit a decade ago it isn't unreasonable to look at the top execs who run it operationally day-to-day ...

And some of us may have a bit more knowledge as to why things happen. I feel very safe in offering up critical opinions because I don't pull them out of my or out of a bag of pixie dust.

I will preface my points with this: I strongly believe in capitalism. I love it.

Better not see that evil Commie Michael Moore's upcoming film ... I'll be in line.

My faith in capitalism has disappeared. It is failing miserably and lowering the quality of life for Americans. Oh, and it is NOT Democracy. People seem to feel the two things go hand in hand. Not that we have a true free market anyway ... but ... moving on .

That stated, one of the greatest market failures of our system is that the best interests of management often do not align with the best interests of shareholders (let's forget customers for a minute as surely not everyone will agree that a company should focus on the best interests of the customers. I don't even think that. I think the company should focus on its best interests, which often coincides with the customers' best interests).

Three of these interests that are not in the best interests of the company but are in the best interests of management are: expansion (only relevant if diseconomies of scale are implicated), corporate structuring that assists management entrenchment, and cost-savings. Of interest to this discussion is cost-savings. In a typical corporation, management is rewarded when it saves money or trims fat. This is essential to the system, but it has an unintended negative consequence: management saves money to impact its pay to the point that it results in long term harm to the corporation.

Agree 100%.

That's been the problem with Disney since the mid-1990s. They've had this absurd notion of being lean and mean and cutting 'fat' ... what they've been cutting for years now is muscle and bone and calling it 'fat' ... and that damages the company long term. But it makes Wall Street happy in the short term and that's what our version of capitalism has become.

All about short term gains regardless of whether they are even based in reality or a giant lie like our economy has been for the last decade.

I think recent corporate history in America bears out the truth of my assertions. I don't think anyone can honestly say that 100% of the individuals working within management at the TWDC place the best interests of the company over their own best interests (I am not contending the opposite, just that we can't affirmatively assert that 100% DO). Lasseter and Iger can't do it all--they rely on the work of others. If others tailor 'studies and research' to what fits their personal interests, and other executives rely on these conclusions, the harm is done.

I am cynical by nature, but I'd say that many Disney execs are interested in their own self-interests first and foremost ... and that the company and the guests/fans/cast come way later.

Maybe the return on investment isn't great enough to justify a complete makeover, DLR-style. However, maybe the folks conducting the research knew what conclusions would benefit their own interests when conducting said research, and made sure that research reached conclusions that suited their own interests. Maybe it's not even that complicated--maybe conclusive research of the long term ROI of a fully overhauled Space Mountain simply isn't possible. There are too many variables for which TWDC cannot account or are external to the company.

This is not some elaborate conspiracy theory. I'm not suggesting management at TWDC, specifically is out to get us or anyone. Most people are good people; however, many in the corporate world are short-sited and look to their own immediate future.

That's absolutely accurate.

If TDO was interested in exceeding guests expectations then they wouldn't be delivering a cleaned up 1975-era Space Mountan in 2009. OTOH, at least Phil and Erin and Meg will have the attraction up and running as quickly as possible. So what if it isn't what it could be or should be?

Skyway

I believe "insiders" who say this rehab will be minimal.

But I want to ask all of you -- WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM A SM REHAB?

Obviously on-board audio would be number one, and it sounds inexcusable that it's not being added. But other than audio, what more do you want?

Many have talked about a fully replaced track. To me, if the track is smooth, I don't care what it looks like in the dark. Everyone is assuming a brand new track would automatically be a better ride, and an old track cannot be smoothed out. I'm withholding judgement on this one until I ride it. I am open to the possibility that the old steel can be altered to make it feel like new steel (same with the trains).

Everyone is upset WDW is not getting an extreme makeover like DL. But if you get over the on-board audio issue and believe it's possible for WDW to have a smooth ride, what else is left? The queue and the special effects.

DL's new "Mission:Space"-inspired queue may seem like a huge improvement, but keep in mind, DL's original queue was much more lackluster than WDW's ever was. When you break down the parts, DL got a few new wall panels, airgates, some new video monitors, and lots of wonderful new lighting. I guess I just assumed that WDW would be getting the same type of minimal--yet effective-- queue improvements. And with this "interactive queue" or whatever it's called, I find it hard to believe WDW's new queue will be terrible.

That leaves special effects. From my recent DL trip, I remember very few special effects. There was the new blue "speed tunnel" which was copied from the WDW original. The "rotating lift hill" is much better than the spinning lights DL used to have, but I can't say it's necessarily better than WDW's space station, with another train riding up next to you as other trains zoom by in the opposite direction. Apples and oranges.

As for effects in the mountain, I found DL to be wonderfully dark---again, something that sounds like it's being addressed at WDW.

I recall only one or two "galaxy" projections on the DL dome, which WDW had always had, albeit with crappy projectors. Does anyone know for certain that WDW is NOT getting new image and star projectors?

Then there's the "re-entry" tunnel. With the lights on, the new DL tunnel appears very cheap to make. I cannot see why it won't be replicated in Florida, especially with rumors of on-board photos. Does someone know if that's not happening?

I think I've touched on everything.

Other than audio and a brand new track, what does DL have that WDW cannot have?????

hpyhnt 1000

I believe "insiders" who say this rehab will be minimal.

But I want to ask all of you -- WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM A SM REHAB?

Obviously on-board audio would be number one, and it sounds inexcusable that it's not being added. But other than audio, what more do you want?

Many have talked about a fully replaced track. To me, if the track is smooth, I don't care what it looks like in the dark. Everyone is assuming a brand new track would automatically be a better ride, and an old track cannot be smoothed out. I'm withholding judgement on this one until I ride it. I am open to the possibility that the old steel can be altered to make it feel like new steel (same with the trains).

Everyone is upset WDW is not getting an extreme makeover like DL. But if you get over the on-board audio issue and believe it's possible for WDW to have a smooth ride, what else is left? The queue and the special effects.

DL's new "Mission:Space"-inspired queue may seem like a huge improvement, but keep in mind, DL's original queue was much more lackluster than WDW's ever was. When you break down the parts, DL got a few new wall panels, airgates, some new video monitors, and lots of wonderful new lighting. I guess I just assumed that WDW would be getting the same type of minimal--yet effective-- queue improvements. And with this "interactive queue" or whatever it's called, I find it hard to believe WDW's new queue will be terrible.

That leaves special effects. From my recent DL trip, I remember very few special effects. There was the new blue "speed tunnel" which was copied from the WDW original. The "rotating lift hill" is much better than the spinning lights DL used to have, but I can't say it's necessarily better than WDW's space station, with another train riding up next to you as other trains zoom by in the opposite direction. Apples and oranges.

As for effects in the mountain, I found DL to be wonderfully dark---again, something that sounds like it's being addressed at WDW.

I recall only one or two "galaxy" projections on the DL dome, which WDW had always had, albeit with crappy projectors. Does anyone know for certain that WDW is NOT getting new image and star projectors?

Then there's the "re-entry" tunnel. With the lights on, the new DL tunnel appears very cheap to make. I cannot see why it won't be replicated in Florida, especially with rumors of on-board photos. Does someone know if that's not happening?

I think I've touched on everything.

Other than audio and a brand new track, what does DL have that WDW cannot have?????

Well said. :wave: I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this way and keeping positive thoughts. :)

the-reason14

A more intense ride. It actually is a roller coaster on the level of other Orlando coasters.

Uhm, no its not. DL space mt. is very tame, and other than the cool effects, really really boring. Its a cool ride, yes. But its a very tame and boring coaster. I def. wouldnt put it up there with Everest, or Rnrc.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Well the new generation of coasters are smooth, but going back to the old days (and remember SM is from the old days), they were as bumpy as hell.

I find SM's charm to be in the small ride vehicles, being very close to the track, and having it be as bumpy as hell. The falling apart feel is totally unique in modern rides (and yet you know its safe). If SM was silky smooth I think it would feel very tame. Its the bumpyness and roughness that takes it up a notch - like a classic wooden coaster.

If we're getting specific, I think space travel is anything but smooth. Assuming the shuttle launch simulator at the cape is accurate (which they tell us it is), then its considerably bumpier than SM could ever be. I actually felt like I was about to lose teeth in that simulator LOL

Totally agree. Matterhorn is still one of the most popular rides at DLR and it's bumpy as hell. People like nostalgia. Don't think for one minute that if they tore out every single piece of track and replaced it with ultra smooth, onboard audio, blah, blah that some guests wouldn't be disappointed in the change. SM is a right of passage for some. Parents rode it with their parents and want to do the same with their kids.

Add me to the list of ones that are happy if they kept it the same.

UberMouse

The minor updates to the queue, and control systems is good enough for me, and of course cleaning. Other than that I am happy the way that it is. Call me nostalgic, but I love SM the way that it is.

-Jeff

the-reason14

DL's Space Mountain might be smoother, but the track layout is so boring -- drops so slight they're barely discernible, and right turn after right turn after right turn. Sure, it's dark and has good effects, but those only go so far -- the ride is, above all else, a roller coaster, and my primary criterion for judging it is how it rides as a roller coaster.

So so true. As a roller coaster, DL's Space fails on so many levels and is nothing special. I was expecting to come off with a changed mind after hearing people here and other places rave about how much better it was than the MKs. Aside from the cool effects, it is a boring roller coaster.

_Scar

Uhm, no its not. DL space mt. is very tame, and other than the cool effects, really really boring. Its a cool ride, yes. But its a very tame and boring coaster. I def. wouldnt put it up there with Everest, or Rnrc.

Difference of opinion. :shrug:

Silent lift? Awesome!

Does he know if everything's on schedule for nov 22?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom