Space Mountain Refurbishment Info

artvandelay

Does anyone know if Disney is going to do any work on the exterior of SM? I was thinking along the lines of the use of LED's to light the exterior roof. I think it's been used for some special events.

Buried20KLeague

Does anyone know if Disney is going to do any work on the exterior of SM? I was thinking along the lines of the use of LED's to light the exterior roof. I think it's been used for some special events.

There's been no mention of something like that in any report we've heard from anyone "in the know", so I would bet against it.

Plus, with money apparently tight on this refurb, that would seem to be something easily slashed without impact.

On top of that, an exterior lighting package could be done at any time. It wouldn't have to be when the mountain was down.

I'd love to see it though...

SoccerMickey

There's been no mention of something like that in any report we've heard from anyone "in the know", so I would bet against it.

Plus, with money apparently tight on this refurb, that would seem to be something easily slashed without impact.

On top of that, an exterior lighting package could be done at any time. It wouldn't have to be when the mountain was down.

I'd love to see it though...

Man, that would be so cool to see a cool external lighting effect in Tomorrowland. Kind of like a beacon calling out to distant worlds.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There was talk around 18 months ago of an exterior package including illumination, but I believe it got bumped way down the list sadly.

I hope I`m wrong but we could be keeping the oh-so-old tennis court floodlights on poles. Thankfully they arn`t 1994 green anymore though.

Timon

I wouldn't rule a lighting upgrade out. The castle just was upgraded to LED's which you would think saves Disney money, by using less electricity and longer lasting lamps(?) and no fans. Maybe it's because I know they are there but I think the colors are stronger on the castle. Seems like a obvious idea for SM to be upgraded.

WDW Insider

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure, actually, that SM is supposed to be getting a new lighting package in the not so distant future. It's not part of the refurbishment schedule or cash allotment however. I haven't heard anything about lights being added to the actual building though... just a switch to LED lighting.

If ToT didn't receive a new LED package during its 2007 refurb, its probably up next for the change-over as I do remember it was something DHS was looking at doing near-term. That's not something I've paid a ton of attention to though, so it may have already been switched over and I just didn't hear anything about it. Of course, they're on totally separate budgets, so it's not like one has to get done before the other... I just remember a discussion I had a few years ago and it was high up on the list.

Rob562

If ToT didn't receive a new LED package during its 2007 refurb, its probably up next for the change-over as I do remember it was something DHS was looking at doing near-term. That's not something I've paid a ton of attention to though, so it may have already been switched over and I just didn't hear anything about it. Of course, they're on totally separate budgets, so it's not like one has to get done before the other... I just remember a discussion I had a few years ago and it was high up on the list.

ToT had its lighting changed over just within the past month or two. There was a brief discussion about it on here, but nothing earth-shattering, so it dropped down on the list of threads pretty quickly.

-Rob

alecshawn

Thanks for that info, in confirms my source (Orlando Firefighter married to a WDW brass):) Seriously.....
Anyways, I heard the same info as posted by WDWInsider.
And i am GLAD to hear it!
It seems that SM will get 90% of the refurb we all have been hoping for.
And that, is pretty darn good.
ALSO, i am hearing that it WILL go past the original scheduled completion date....but i think we all knew that would happen.

jt04

Thanks for that info, in confirms my source (Orlando Firefighter married to a WDW brass):) Seriously.....
Anyways, I heard the same info as posted by WDWInsider.
And i am GLAD to hear it!
It seems that SM will get 90% of the refurb we all have been hoping for.
And that, is pretty darn good.
ALSO, i am hearing that it WILL go past the original scheduled completion date....but i think we all knew that would happen.

Cool, but can you give us a few concrete hints?

EPCOT Explorer

TWEET!
*flag*
False start, EPCOT Explorer. Five yards. Still first down.

Not good enough, he'll have to watch Mannequin 2 on a loop for all of tomorrow! *evil laugh*

Perhaps I was harsh.

OK Explorer, you'll just watch the 1st movie all day and Jay, Phil and Meg can watch the second!
Y'all are harsh, harsh people...:lol::lookaroun

Still not bad....

alecshawn

Cool, but can you give us a few concrete hints?
Well, WDWInsider posted the pretty much exactly what i heard....with the exception of the completion date. I head it will be in Feb'10.
But time will tell.
Im just happy that the overall refurb is gonna be pretty darn exstensive.
Not as big as D.L. but thats ok. We nned our own version of S.M.!:)
But i DO love D.L.'s Space!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom