Space Mountain refurbishment begins April 19 2009

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I wonder if they will demolish the arcade building and give us something new and fresh. :drevil:

Yes please.

I'd like to see them do a lil bit of damage to that area actually and use it as an extended queue so the line doesn't have to go out into Tomorrowland.

They could do something like this...

p14189.jpg

p18341.jpg

Exprcoofto

The logo on that Space Mountain sort of reminds me of Soarin' :lol:

I think that would be a really cool design for the outside, and the earlier photo of HKDL's inside with the planets reminds me of the rest of Tomorrowland at MK. I cannot wait to see the update :sohappy:

Disneyson 1

Well, the "ball pit" in the queue deserves some sort of attention. The message board there could be turned into a more realistic one with just a replacement of one of those big screens in movie theaters that tell the times. And the "launch flashies" (lack for a better term) that say stuff like " __ Seconds to Launch" should once and for all be synched to the cars. That always annoys me (Yes, I know that it's probably a guide for the CMs, but surely there's another way to keep them on track...) In fact, the whole "Space Port" theme needs to be reinforced. BADLY!!!

WDITrent

About the queue overflow issue, what if they use the old skyway building? Either demolish it for switchbacks, take out the restrooms, or put the switchbacks upstairs. Although this doesn't really make sense with the budget.

jmur41

hey all this is my first post here. ive been coming to this site for a while...just never registered. finally decided to :).

my wife and i went to disney for our honeymoon in june of 2007 for 12 days. we loved it. went back this past december for 10 days. we are now hooked on disney at christmas time. we are going back this coming december for a week (5th-13th). im really hoping space mountain opens back up before then or while we're there.

ToTBellHop

hey all this is my first post here. ive been coming to this site for a while...just never registered. finally decided to :).

my wife and i went to disney for our honeymoon in june of 2007 for 12 days. we loved it. went back this past december for 10 days. we are now hooked on disney at christmas time. we are going back this coming december for a week (5th-13th). im really hoping space mountain opens back up before then or while we're there.
I certainly wouldn't bet on it--the amount of work they want to get done would be unlikely to be finished by then--of course, they could always cut the amount of work to be done (which, regardless of anyone's vacations, I would argue would be unfortunate). IMHO, Space Mountain isn't a HUGE loss--I could pick far better rides to close, and at least for the Summer, if Space is closed, it's unlikely that much else will be (that's me being selfish).

jt04

Even if it doesn't you have some great options that were not available if SM had closed down 10 years ago. Don't miss Rock-n-roller coaster or Everest while there. They are first rate roller coaster attractions.

jmur41

Even if it doesn't you have some great options that were not available if SM had closed down 10 years ago. Don't miss Rock-n-roller coaster or Everest while there. They are first rate roller coaster attractions.

yeah went on rock-n-roller coaster for this first time this past december. FANTASTIC. everest closed for the day while we were in line...something happened and they actually had to have someone walk the people down the steps who were stuck at the top of the ride. :(

space mountain is like THE ride at disney for me. yeah i know there are more crazy coasters there now, but theres just something about it (for me) that i love so much.

WDW1974

Boy, you're in the minority in a lot of things. From Mitch Hawker's 2008 Steel Coaster Poll:

273 Space Mountain Disneyland Paris
135 Space Mountain WDW Magic Kingdom
96 Space Mountain Disneyland
94 Space Mountain Tokyo Disneyland
56 Space Mountain HK Disneyland

SM DLP came in dead last of the SMs, in the annual coaster poll. I don't know anyone that likes DLP's version.

172 Matterhorn Bobsleds Disneyland
168 Big Thunder Mountain WDW Magic Kingdom
153 Big Thunder Mountain Disneyland
115 Rock n Roller Coaster Walt Disney Paris
110 Rock `n' Roller Coast Disney's H Studios
108 Big Thunder Mountain Tokyo Disneyland
91 Big Thunder Mountain Disneyland Paris
66 California Screamin' Disney CA Adventur
60 Expedition Everest Disney Animal King

http://www.ushsho.com/detailedsteelrollercoasterpollresults2008.htm

I don't know what I am supposed to say ... that I am so wrong because a bunch of coaster junkies conducted a poll of coaster junkies and rated things differently than I did?

I also don't know anyone who has been on DLP's version of Space who prefers any other version ... again, I do because I don't like worrying about getting a brain bruise from riding ... but if it were kept up it would blow the others away in terms of ride, theming, show quality etc ...

But again, I am not a coaster fan. I am a Disney parks fan. And I rate things accordingly.

jt04

yeah went on rock-n-roller coaster for this first time this past december. FANTASTIC. everest closed for the day while we were in line...something happened and they actually had to have someone walk the people down the steps who were stuck at the top of the ride. :(

space mountain is like THE ride at disney for me. yeah i know there are more crazy coasters there now, but theres just something about it (for me) that i love so much.

I rode SM recently and trust me it isn't what it once was. The refurb is necessary and I strongly suspect they won't reopen it before it is ready. The SSE refurb is still haunting them.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Jaytrod

Awesome link!.. I really hope they decide to change cars or at least add the audio to the cars too. i think that would make for a pretty impressive refurb for a less than 1 year time period. Hope I can make it back for 1 more ride before it closes.

Expo_Seeker40

They deff need to brand the space station theme.

Our space mountain is Space Station 75 :lookaroun :lol: :D :sohappy:

And we would board at the space port, and then exit it and somehow magically get back to tomorrowland. :lookaroun

They just need to brand the ride solidly, its a mixture of too many things from different eras.

I do hope they keep the moog music and star tunnel music, but upgrade the audio to new speakers, as well as keep the windows that look out into space, but improve upon them, as we'll also need a new TV speil.

Our space mountain originally used a blue letter font.

There is atleast one sign left that still used it, the one on the TTA track as you head into the mountain.

All the rest were updated with that spikey orange fedex font from 1994.

Disneyland used a similar font in their 1977 version but it was red, and then they updated it to a funky but similar retro red font in their 2005 reopening.

So hopefully they can keep our SM blue branded but with a funky cool font like Disneyland's.

WDW's has alot of interesting RCA leftovers. Like the RCA explorer ship....its the same ship you can see through the windows departing and leaving the spacestation, as well as the ship we go under in the lifthill, so hopefully that can all be freshened up, and hopefully those astronauts can be made to actually look like they are fixing the ship in the repair bay.

Brian Noble

I also don't know anyone who has been on DLP's version of Space who prefers any other version
If you ignore the actual rides, I'd agree: Paris' version is awesome. But, once the train actually starts moving, Paris is a distant third behind the two stateside versions.

Ouch.

mcjaco

I don't know what I am supposed to say ... that I am so wrong because a bunch of coaster junkies conducted a poll of coaster junkies and rated things differently than I did?

Most of the time I agree with your Disney sentiments. This "DLP's version is better" talk, makes me wonder if your head has taken a few too many hits from the OTSR, thus some of your angst. :D

I can assure that a large portion of those "Coaster junkies" are Disney fanboys too.

But again, I am not a coaster fan. I am a Disney parks fan. And I rate things accordingly.

Which IMO, is skewed in this case. The theming pre and post ride should never trump the ride itself.

HinunterZuNich

It's odd to wake up to a family member who does not follow Disney at all ..... let me know that Space Mountain is closing at the end of April until the end of the year LOL. They said that it was discussed on Channel 7 (ABC New York) which is owned by TWDC!

She said pretty much exactly what was stated in the Orlando Sentinal article.

Nothing new but just thought it was funny :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom