Space Mountain - Question

CaptainJackNO

i'm not so sure the current situation has that big of an effect. it is more of the cheap eisner/pressler era fools that WONT spend the $$ to update or fix things until they fall apart. i belive this cheapness in maintaing things & lower labor costs caused a couple deaths at disneyland a few years ago, big thunder mountain & the columbia come to mind.:hammer: they need to realize the economy WILL improve at some point & we should have the high quality attraction disney is famous for, not so 1975 piece of junk that is ready 2 fall apart.

Okay, I agree with Space Mountain needing rehab and updating. But, guys, it is still a classic. I have a hardtime believing people think it is a hunk of junk when waits can still eclipse 90 minutes. Yes, it needs a rehab and refurb, but i hardly think it is falling apart. I love the thing. I would love to see a new track and updated technology. But, hey, I would still ride it. When they do fix it up, i will miss the old one. And i guarantee there will be many a spaceship earthesque post on this board on how they"screwed up a classic":brick:

kidrericha

Haha, Im sorry. You need your head examined because we/I wouldnt go because SM is close? lol, whatever.
I’ll get on right on that, brother. You need to cool your jets, Space Ranger. I don’t recall quoting you in my post, so just take it easy. But now that you’ve got me started doing that, let’s continue.

First off,
Well count me in as one of those that aint goin down to WDW when SM is closed. I do think it could use a refurb, yes, but Im not wasting time or money going down there with it closed. 2004, IASW closed, that was fine. It was my favorate ride when I was like 3, but I could deal without riding that a few trips. Same thing with Potc in 2006? or 07, I could deal with not riding that for a few trips, even the HM. But SM, nope.
I get it… at 3, it’s understandable to get upset about a ride closing. I don’t know how old you are, but most adults can deal with that kind of disappointment. But even a kid has fun at WDW or DL despite one ride being closed. You won’t even go because…
To me if SM is closed, all of WDW might as well be closed cuz SM is WDW to me.
Okay. Whatever you say. Then, like, a dozen posts later I make the point that, A) it’s silly to go to ANY park because of just one ride and B) Space Mountain at Disneyland is superior. Yet,
Anybody that chooses DL over WDW just to ride the "good" SM is one that needs their head examined.
I do agree with this…If you take into account the 3 other gates, 2 water parks, 2 shopping centers, 2 miniature gold course, numerous resorts and other activities WDW has to offer. But remember,
That said, what is so ridiculous about my suggestion? I mean since
SM is WDW to me.
, doesn’t it stand to reason that SM would be DL for you also? I mean that’s just simple, deductive logic. And since SM at DL runs smoother, has more comfortable seating, a better sound system and is just overall a better ride, doesn’t it make sense to go that route? Besides, if your all that fond of WDW’s SM, you can ride it here… except half of it is outside the mountain and we call it the Matterhorn.

But again like I said to someone else, why am I explaining this, its my money and what I choose to do with it or dont do with it is my business. I couldnt care less what you do with yours or what version is good or whatever to you, so yea.
Compelling closing statement. It’s right up there with…

Let us repeat…
And again…
I’m sorry. I had to squeeze that in as many times as I could becausewith 4 gates, 2 water parks, 2 shopping areas, 2 miniature golf courses, numerous resorts and other activities, if all WDW is to you is Space Mountain… I’m sorry, but it’s true…
You need your head examined

Disneyson 1

And so the flame wars begin... can't we all just get along? :shrug: Let's just say that both rides are clearly SM and each has it's good and bad; what's good and bad is debatable, so for now let's just say that each has it's own good and bad. I'm sure that we can all agree on that. Now, whether we want a refurb or not, I'm sure we can all agree that refurbs are almost always good. It can only improve the ride, right? Now, if you're going during the times that the refurb is going on, there's no doubt that you'll be missing some part of the Disney experience, especially if it's your first time. Don't fret though! There are many other things to do in Disney World than Space Mountain. Then again, if you would only go to Space Mountain and nothing else suits you, you have 2 options: 1. Don't go! It's not worth your money to go if you won't like it, and 2. Go on your birthday. Then you won't even have to pay to get in and, since you would only go for SM, then you would only need a one day one park ticket anyway. And for those who just can't stand the "SM lovers" or the "SM haters" or the "For the refurb peeps" or 'Against the refurb peeps" then either don't put yourself in a position that will make you flame the other person. In other words, stay calm or don't open SM threads at all. Just my 2 cents.:)

EpcotServo

Space Mountain IS falling apart.

There's no joke or argument there. Aside from it's final day of operation, I'm staying off it as much as possible.

Grim Grinner

During the final day of my last trip, I had the luck of getting stuck on Space Mountain. I got to talk to an awesome cast member and even ride twice in a row by bypassing the line.

However, while stuck in my rocket-I noticed a lot of details and wall sections appeared to be loosely held together with duct tape.

I would love to see this ride restored to its full glory.

A refurb is like restoring a vintage car. Letting it sit in the garage to rust is a crime.

The only thing I fear about a redo it the enclosure over the load area like at Disneyland. Call me sentimental, but I love the giant asteroid/cookie that flies down from overhead. This was one of my favorite things as a kid-and still seeing it today brings a chill to my belly in excitement.

Lee

Adventurer
However, while stuck in my rocket-I noticed a lot of details and wall sections appeared to be loosely held together with duct tape.

Oh yeah, a lights-on tour of Space would really surprise a lot of people. Like that photo I keep posting. Ugly...very bad.

captainkidd

Space Mountain IS falling apart.

There's no joke or argument there. Aside from it's final day of operation, I'm staying off it as much as possible.

I could be mistaken, but if it were falling apart, I don't think Disney would let people ride it. I've ridden Space Mountain hundreds of times, and never once has it broken down on me. Of course, there were times when it was broken down when I wasn't on it.

RSoxNo1

I could be mistaken, but if it were falling apart, I don't think Disney would let people ride it. I've ridden Space Mountain hundreds of times, and never once has it broken down on me. Of course, there were times when it was broken down when I wasn't on it.

Well, they effectively did that in Disneyland...

VT GAL

Original Poster
During the final day of my last trip, I had the luck of getting stuck on Space Mountain. I got to talk to an awesome cast member and even ride twice in a row by bypassing the line.

I would love to see this ride restored to its full glory.

A refurb is like restoring a vintage car. Letting it sit in the garage to rust is a crime.

The only thing I fear about a redo it the enclosure over the load area like at Disneyland. Call me sentimental, but I love the giant asteroid/cookie that flies down from overhead. This was one of my favorite things as a kid-and still seeing it today brings a chill to my belly in excitement.

SCARY!!!! I don't think I would have have ridden again...:lookaroun

I have to agree about the asteroid/cookie. The first time my husband rode it, he turned to me and asked,"Is that a cookie? If it is, I think it is a Chips Ahoy cookie." I about lost it!!!!

I will be glad to see SM get some love. I would like it to get a A LOT of love, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen from the looks/sounds of things...:(

Lee

Adventurer
Just an FYI...
Got a response to the email I sent Phil last week, along with that "Procrastination" motivational poster from that thread.
Here it be:

"Dear Lee,

Thank you for your recent correspondence to Phil Holmes regarding the
Space Mountain attraction and a possible refurbishment planned for the
venue in 2009.

Every year we evaluate all of our attractions to assess either on a
cyclical or routine basis, what work will be conducted so as to provide
the finest experiences for all of our Guests who visit Magic Kingdom
Park. We are still in the process of finalizing our refurbishment and
routine maintenance schedule for the coming year.

I recognize the popularity and affinity that our Guests have for the
Space Mountain attraction, and appreciate not only your enthusiasm for
the attraction but also for sharing your comments. Please know a
tremendous amount of thought and planning are put forth toward the
upkeep of such iconic attractions, as our focus is always on preserving
the legacy of the Magic Kingdom Park."

Sincerely,

Beth Hock
Executive Offices
Walt Disney World Resort

jt04

Does not sound promising for a gutting. I almost wish they would build a totally seperate SM and then refurbish then original or vice-versa. Then guests could choose between the new or classic version.

EpcotServo

Just an FYI...
Got a response to the email I sent Phil last week, along with that "Procrastination" motivational poster from that thread.
Here it be:

-SPIT TAKE-

You sent my picture to PHIL HOLMES!?!?!?

:lol::ROFLOL::lol:

That's the best thing I've heard all day.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Just an FYI...
Here it be:

"Dear Lee,

Thank you for your recent correspondence to Phil Holmes regarding the
Space Mountain attraction and a possible refurbishment planned for the
venue in 2009.

Every year we evaluate all of our attractions to assess either on a
cyclical or routine basis, what work will be conducted so as to provide
the finest experiences for all of our Guests who visit Magic Kingdom
Park. We are still in the process of finalizing our refurbishment and
routine maintenance schedule for the coming year.

I recognize the popularity and affinity that our Guests have for the
Space Mountain attraction, and appreciate not only your enthusiasm for
the attraction but also for sharing your comments. Please know a
tremendous amount of thought and planning are put forth toward the
upkeep of such iconic attractions, as our focus is always on preserving
the legacy of the Magic Kingdom Park."

Sincerely,

Beth Hock
Executive Offices
Walt Disney World Resort
that is the traditional "corporate speak"

-SPIT TAKE-

You sent my picture to PHIL HOLMES!?!?!?

:lol::ROFLOL::lol:

That's the best thing I've heard all day.
THAT IS AWESOME!

tirian

Over a year ago, a Disney engineer told me to stay off Space Mountain.

No joke.

I ride it all the time anyway, but I always think about that conversation during the second hump that seems to hurtle into a wall!

jt04

No joke.

I ride it all the time anyway, but I always think about that conversation during the second hump that seems to hurtle into a wall!

:eek:

I rode it recently for the first time in about 5 years. I wish a Disney engineer had warned me.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

No joke.

the second hump..... hmmm, are you talking about the one that goes next to the lift hill and a hard right or left?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom