Space Mountain - Question

larryl9797

<clip>
Roller coasters have actually been around for quite a while. They date to the late 19th century. Some of the oldest roller coasters still standing date from about 1902.
The competition to be one of the oldest roller coasters has been fierce at times. Some of the oldest roller coasters no longer exist, however. They were torn down years ago.
The oldest roller coaster in the world is Leap the Dips, built in 1902. It stands in Lakemont Park in Altoona, Pennsylvania. It stood unused for several years, but has been completely restored and reopened in 1999. Its wooden track is 1,452 feet long (442.6 meters) and 48 feet tall (14.6 meters), and it has a drop of nine feet (3 meters). Roller coasters were a risky business in the early days, and those who designed the oldest roller coasters were sometimes taking a chance with their entire fortunes.
Among the other oldest roller coasters, the oldest one outside the U.S. is Rutschebahnen, in Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, Denmark. This example of the oldest roller coasters was built in 1913 and is still running. One of the most famous wooden coasters is the Cyclone at Coney Island, New York. The Cyclone opened in 1927, making it certainly one of the oldest roller coasters still in operation.
Times changed, though, and with those changes came the innovation of the steel roller coaster. The steel tracks and cars allowed for more varied track designs. The grandaddy of the steel coaster is the Matterhorn at Disneyland in California. Built in 1959, it caused a sensation when it opened.
Space Mountain, an indoor steel coaster at Disney World in Orlando, Florida, opened in 1975. It was the first completely enclosed roller coaster. Other parks followed suit, and soon, people clamored for a steel coaster in every theme park.
Wooden coasters are still popular, particularly for roller coaster purists. They are still being built, albeit with better materials than 100 years ago. The oldest roller coasters are part of history, however, and organizations to preserve them are becoming ever more popular.
</clip>
From Wisegeek.com

FYI... Americas oldest operating amusmentpark is right in my backyard. Lake Compounce, Bristol CT :)

Lee

Adventurer
Aren't their rollercoasters that are still operating that are like 100 years old? By comaprison, Space Mountain is still a baby.
Yeah, there are woodies out there that old...but they have had all their track replaced numerous times.
Off hand, I can't name another steel coaster that has been running as long (and continuous) as Space Mountain without having it's track redone.
(Yes, Matterhorn has had it's track replaced.)

larryl9797

Yeah, there are woodies out there that old...but they have had all their track replaced numerous times.
Off hand, I can't name another steel coaster that has been running as long (and continuous) as Space Mountain without having it's track redone.
(Yes, Matterhorn has had it's track replaced.)
Agreed! 33 years! thats pretty old! There are probably no woodies that have not been rebuilt. How about Coney Island?

captainkidd

I don't recall the last time the Cyclone at Six Flags New England (formerly Riverside) at a track replacement. It's been a while.

Then again, very few tracks have the usage that Space Mountain has had. Open 365 days a year, multiple cars at all times, almost always in operation. Yeah, it's pretty worn down I'd say.

Lee

Adventurer
I don't recall the last time the Cyclone at Six Flags New England (formerly Riverside) at a track replacement. It's been a while.

Then again, very few tracks have the usage that Space Mountain has had. Open 365 days a year, multiple cars at all times, almost always in operation. Yeah, it's pretty worn down I'd say.

The Riverside Cyclone is only 25, but it should definately be due for some new wood. (Felt like it when I was on it.)
It has gone through 3 sets of trains in that time.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Sigh...
It's not even a cookie...
:rolleyes:

I vote for a closed-in load area.
I vote for that too Lee. For argument sake and those that want something floating across the roof, why not enclose it, make the ceiling of the enclosed area either screens with reverse projects of HD star fields or a ceiling with fiber optic stars to give it an infinity space feel. it would be better then seeing the prefabbed cement slabs for a roof.

Could someone please post a link to the poster? :)
try page 3 or 4.

Lee

Adventurer
For argument sake and those that want something floating across the roof, why not enclose it, make the ceiling of the enclosed area either screens with reverse projects of HD star fields or a ceiling with fiber optic stars to give it an infinity space feel.
That reminds me of a concept for Tomorrowland at DL (not sure about MK) back around the time of TL2055. They had a concept to cover the central avenue from the hub with a roof like the one at Fremont St. in Vegas. It would show a view of space with spacecraft and aliens and whatnot flying around.
THAT would have been kinda nice.:rolleyes:
p161145-Las_Vegas-Fremont_St._Experience.jpg

joel_maxwell

That reminds me of a concept for Tomorrowland at DL (not sure about MK) back around the time of TL2055. They had a concept to cover the central avenue from the hub with a roof like the one at Fremont St. in Vegas. It would show a view of space with spacecraft and aliens and whatnot flying around.
THAT would have been kinda nice.:rolleyes:
p161145-Las_Vegas-Fremont_St._Experience.jpg
bring that to SM queue and Ill be a happy man. Just think how powerful that long walk would be. I would still take it just over the open area.

I think before things like youtube and basically the internet in general came along (thanks Al), seeing the rockets above you was so mysterious etc. Now, you can see more on the internet of what you are about to ride and I dont even find myself looking up there anymore. That is MHO of course. Cover it, do something incredible to the ceiling.

jt04

bring that to SM queue and Ill be a happy man. Just think how powerful that long walk would be. I would still take it just over the open area.

I think before things like youtube and basically the internet in general came along (thanks Al), seeing the rockets above you was so mysterious etc. Now, you can see more on the internet of what you are about to ride and I dont even find myself looking up there anymore. That is MHO of course. Cover it, do something incredible to the ceiling.

The main advantage of a covered ceiling is that it would allow the ride to be much darker. That would make any new on-ride effects that much better. There is way too much light leaking in during the ride itself IMO.

joel_maxwell

The main advantage of a covered ceiling is that it would allow the ride to be much darker. That would make any new on-ride effects that much better. There is way too much light leaking in during the ride itself IMO.
yes, i agree. Cover the load area.

coasterphil

Wooden coasters are generally never completely rebuilt, but they have portions retracked on a fairly regular basis. Usually the biggest/faster/older the ride, the more often retracking must be done to make the ride bearable. Plus, as has already been stated the wooden coaster at your local amusement park isn't seeing anywhere near the wear and tear that SM is.

joel_maxwell

But then you wouldn't hear people screaming or see the glowing panels of the ride vehicles or the cookie projections :shrug:
It is worth losing that.

Watching the "glowing panels" on 1 or 2 turns isn't worth saving. It is outdated and if you read what I said above, that effect doesn't hold the "wow" factor it once did. When no one knew what the track looked like etc, I can see where people would watch such thing in amazement.

It is all outdated. The asteroid is ridiculous.

jt04

It is worth losing that.

Watching the "glowing panels" on 1 or 2 turns isn't worth saving. It is outdated and if you read what I said above, that effect doesn't hold the "wow" factor it once did. When no one knew what the track looked like etc, I can see where people would watch such thing in amazement.

It is all outdated. The asteroid is ridiculous.

I agree. I personally think the queue is ridiculous, the light leak problem is ridiculous, the special effects are ridiculous, the lift hills are ridiculous, the set pieces are ridiculous, the ride vehicles are ridiculous, the post show is ridiculous and especially, the track layout and rails are ridiculous. I favor a complete gutting but maybe that is just me.

EpcotServo

But then you wouldn't hear people screaming or see the glowing panels of the ride vehicles or the cookie projections :shrug:

You would on the Peoplemover. And you could even see them better. Honestly those things ALWAYS looked cooler on the Peoplemover. You can't really see them as good from the queue anyways.
:shrug:

EpcotServo

Maybe...unless the roof covered the TTA track as well.
I don't know that it would...but it might...if they built a roof...:shrug:

The problems I see with that is the incline of the mountain forcing the roof clearance over the cars to be too close to them. The other problem being that only half the track goes near load. A long while would be nothing but tunnel. Not that it can't be done. Just the first snags my mind reaches in that scenario.

Rob562

While there's a lot of light leak on the upper portions of the track that are right near the Load platforms, a lot of the light leak within the ride structure is from the lift hill, too. They removed the roof over the lift hill years ago, and a lot of the light filters up, bounces off the roof and back down into the ride structure.

If they're looking to reduce the ambient light inside the ride, they should also consider putting the roof back on the lift hill.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom