Space Mountain - Question

DisneyWales

Personally, i love the current Space Mountain, we ride it loads every-time we visit.

Are there better rides at WDW sure, but Space Mountain is timeless.

I just guess for me there is something special about ride that have a certain charm about being old fashioned.

El rio Tempo was a classic for me and my BF, as the ride was well a little corny, was reminded us of a last 70's/80's tourist commercial.

Was it a good representation for what WDW could offer, hell no, but was it part of what made WDW special for us, yes.

Like space Mountain, maybe its not E-ticket standard when compared to the likes of Everest or Splash anymore, but its part of WDW's heritage, and i love it for that reason.

As long as the core concept is retained I would be more than happy with any refurb to come.

jt04

Regardless of Phil Holmes's past decisions, I do sympathize with the bind he and other park execs are in right now when it comes to the tanking economy....and I imagine that's playing a big role in the LACK of a Space Mountain announcement.

His job is to keep people coming through those turnstyles. If he doesn't, he gets fired. Simple.

Without a doubt, this economic uncertainty is going to have a big impact on visitors travel plans. Already, people are delaying their trip booking until only weeks in advance. As unemployment rises and investments dwindle, many folks (both domestic and international) are going to be seriously hesitant to spend money on vacations.

Even though I doubt Space Mountain's closure would have a HUG impact on attendance, I'm sure Disney is SCARED TO DEATH to give ANYONE an excuse to postpone their vacation a year or two.

If I'm already looking for a reason not to spend money AND I hear a headline attraction is going to be down, that might just make my decision to stay home a bit more painless.

My guess is that they will NOT announce SM's closure until the very last minute. It'll anger visitors who've already booked their trips, but it'll be too late for many to cancel.

As for the rehab's duration...the longer it is scheduled to be closed, the more likely it will deter some visitors from coming. And even if only 50-100 visitors cancel their trip each day (not a big number), mutiply that by 12+ months (versus 6 months) and it will have a signficant financial impact.

Seems to me that any loss of attendance while SM is closed would be more than made up for after reopening IF Disney does a high quality state-of-the-art refurb. I just wish they could look a couple years ahead instead of the next two quarters. :brick:

Pete C

You guys are crazy. Space Mountain is my favorite ride, but I'm sorry it is not a destination ride. Hardly any single ride at WDW is, for that matter. There are so many things to see and do at WDW that Space Mountain is just a piece of the puzzle. Seriously, you would not enjoy the countless other rides and experiences at all 4 parks because of 1 decent rollercoaster? It's not THAT great. Maybe with a decent refurb it would be.

RiversideBunny

Space Mountain has needed a refurbishment for a long time.
Doing it during a period when attendance is lower makes sense.

Actually they started planning the refurbishment quite a while ago, based on need and not on attendance, if all the information that has come through is correct.

I am looking forward to a much smoother ride where you can truly feel that you are travelling through the stars in outer space. The current clickety-clack bumpiness of the track is more like a railroad journey than a space adventure.

IMHO
:)

dreamfinder

Well count me in as one of those that aint goin down to WDW when SM is closed. I do think it could use a refurb, yes, but Im not wasting time or money going down there with it closed. 2004, IASW closed, that was fine. It was my favorate ride when I was like 3, but I could deal without riding that a few trips. Same thing with Potc in 2006? or 07, I could deal with not riding that for a few trips, even the HM. But SM, nope. Ill wait until it reopens if its going to be closed on any upcoming trips. To me if SM is closed, all of WDW might as well be closed cuz SM is WDW to me.

Which would you prefer. A planned and announced refurb that takes 12 months, inconveniences a few people but gets the ride back up and running. Or they continue to delay and push back the refurb until the ride collapses one day, has a serious malfunction, and get closed permemently until the imagineers can figure out how to child proof a roller coaster. Making everyone wear football helmets and strapping your hands down inside the coaster, turning the lights on, and regulating the speed of the cars at 10 MPH? Pick yer poison.

kidrericha

I’m a DL AP holder and while the long refurb out here was a bummer, it wasn’t a trip killer by any means. There’s plenty to do – and we only have 2 gates. If you’re headed to WDW - what with it’s 4 gates, 2 water parks, 2 shopping areas, 2 miniature golf courses, and numerous activity filled resorts – and your entire experience hinges on one ride being open, then you need your head examined.

If you’re going to plunk down that kind of money with the main goal of riding Space Mountain, you should be coming out to Disneyland to ride the good version. And don’t get all hurt about me saying that, WDWers. You east coasters can’t help but run your mouth about how small Sleeping Beauty Castle is when you come out here. Besides, you know I’m right.

the-reason14

You guys are crazy. Space Mountain is my favorite ride, but I'm sorry it is not a destination ride. Hardly any single ride at WDW is, for that matter. There are so many things to see and do at WDW that Space Mountain is just a piece of the puzzle. Seriously, you would not enjoy the countless other rides and experiences at all 4 parks because of 1 decent rollercoaster? It's not THAT great. Maybe with a decent refurb it would be.

Uhm, yea. It may not be great to you, but thats you. But it is what makes disney world, disney world to me. Plus Ive been a lot, and go a lot and often. Ha ha, why am I explaining this anyways?
:cool:

the-reason14

I’m a DL AP holder and while the long refurb out here was a bummer, it wasn’t a trip killer by any means. There’s plenty to do – and we only have 2 gates. If you’re headed to WDW - what with it’s 4 gates, 2 water parks, 2 shopping areas, 2 miniature golf courses, and numerous activity filled resorts – and your entire experience hinges on one ride being open, then you need your head examined.

If you’re going to plunk down that kind of money with the main goal of riding Space Mountain, you should be coming out to Disneyland to ride the good version. And don’t get all hurt about me saying that, WDWers. You east coasters can’t help but run your mouth about how small Sleeping Beauty Castle is when you come out here. Besides, you know I’m right.

Haha, Im sorry. You need your head examined because we/I wouldnt go because SM is close? lol, whatever. Anybody that chooses DL over WDW just to ride the "good" SM is one that needs their head examined. But again like I said to someone else, why am I explaining this, its my money and what I choose to do with it or dont do with it is my business. I couldnt care less what you do with yours or what version is good or whatever to you, so yea. :cool:

Slighty

Has anyone noticed that if you go to the left ( i believe its the left if im correct ) while your getting in the Q that it is a much smoother ride then the right?? Like by george, its soo rickety and bumpy on the right!!
You can't even yell or scream, all that comes out is, "AH-EH..eh..AH.."
Which, yes, is rather funny, but a smoother trip around the galaxies is always appriciated..^_^

I agree that they should refurb it if its going to make it smoother!
On the other hand, if they were going for the real effects in space, then bring on the ricketyness ;)
Thats just my opinion..
And ive ridden Space Mountain with the lights on, not as fun as in the dark.. but everything is grey!! :O And you really feel like your going to hit those overhead beams..

Pete C

Haha, Im sorry. You need your head examined because we/I wouldnt go because SM is close? lol, whatever. Anybody that chooses DL over WDW just to ride the "good" SM is one that needs their head examined. But again like I said to someone else, why am I explaining this, its my money and what I choose to do with it or dont do with it is my business. I couldnt care less what you do with yours or what version is good or whatever to you, so yea. :cool:

That made a lot of sense. SM is what makes disney world disney world to you, but yet one needs their head examined to visit disneyland to ride a superior version of SM? You might want to re-think that logic, unless of course, you conceed that WDW has a lot more to offer besides SM.

the-reason14

That made a lot of sense. SM is what makes disney world disney world to you, but yet one needs their head examined to visit disneyland to ride a superior version of SM? You might want to re-think that logic, unless of course, you conceed that WDW has a lot more to offer besides SM.

hahah, yea, your right. But whatever. Like I said it doesnt really matter. :cool: No doubt WDW has more to offer than SM thats obvious, but that doesnt really mean much to me.

the-reason14

Which would you prefer. A planned and announced refurb that takes 12 months, inconveniences a few people but gets the ride back up and running. Or they continue to delay and push back the refurb until the ride collapses one day, has a serious malfunction, and get closed permemently until the imagineers can figure out how to child proof a roller coaster. Making everyone wear football helmets and strapping your hands down inside the coaster, turning the lights on, and regulating the speed of the cars at 10 MPH? Pick yer poison.

Uhm, def. would prefer for them to refurb the mess. Im not against a refurb, Im just not going to go when its down, and Im hoping that its not down for long. But if you think SM, a ride built just in the 70s, would collapse before some of these other older coasters at these other amusments parks will, then maybe you are the one that needs to get his head examined, :p lol, jk. But yea, I dont think it will ever be that serious if they do postpone the refurb for another 5 yrs or so.

Grim Grinner

You know, the Disneyland version of Space Mountain after its refurb was so good that the wife and I are always considering a trip there just to ride that version.

We love WDW and have been there 6 times in 8 years-heck, we just got back... but Disneyland's Space Mountain feels so smooth and the ride just kicks tail. We have to go back, perhaps around the holidays.

---

plaz10

I agree no SM no trip. Plain and Simple.

I couldn't agree more.
Space Mountain is my FAVORITE ride! :sohappy:

I can't afford a trip to disney every year or even every few years. I have been there 4 times and 3 out of the 4 my parents paid...so no real choice on when to go. But if I am spending all of that money...why not choose to go when my favorite ride is up and running?

I agree it needs a refurb...smoother track and better sound system. I agree that a refurb from Jan '09 to Sept '09 (just one of the many rumored refurb times...haha) would be OK for me. put in some new parts on the track and give us a good soundtrack. maybe add some more space effects. no need to build from the ground up.

And...those of you who want WDW SM to be like DL? I ask WHY?:shrug:
You can already ride SM the DL way over there! Why bring it to Florida too? You can have TWO rides that experience space roller coasters in different ways. It just seems dumb to have the exact same ride. If they start copying all rides...they will be too similar parks and then it wouldnt' even be necessary to go to both.

I've never been to DL and I want to go to experience the Matterhorn and other signature DL rides...I don't want to go all the way to DL (I live it PA so Florida is closer) to ride the same rides i've already rode at WDW.

Grim Grinner

While I don't want the 2 mountains to be the same-the tender loving care that Disneyland saw has to be felt to be believed.

The track over there is so smooth that you feel like you're plummeting through space.

The one at WDW feels clunky and sometimes painful-but is still a great ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom