Space Mountain - Question

jt04

I got my form letter response as well.

Unlike Lee's response, at least my comments greatly concerned them :animwink:

The fact they sent what is essentially the same form letter is the best indication yet of what they really think of their "guests". Sorry to state the obvious but the HM rehab proves they know what needs to be done. So there are no excuses for a poor SM rehab. None.

mcjaco

Of course, one of the main reasons that the track has lasted so long is because of the controlled environmental conditions within the building. Coasters such as the Matterhorn is subjected to the harsh expansion and contraction of the material due to changing temperatures to its exposed portions, and rain, humidity, etc...

Perhaps just about every Arrow corkscrew or looper model that's still out there?

I'd rate the wheels and the actual trains to go bad before the track ever will. How often to railroads change the rail? Not very, and you're talking metal wheels on metal rails. At least coasters use plastic wheels.

Austin1

About as long as the crappy and dirty walls throughout Tomorrowland. And the crappy and dirty pavement. And the crappy and dirty Buzz Lightyear queue. And the crappy and dirty area surrounding Cosmic Ray's.

:lol:

All of TL needs to be gutted and rebuilt!

I was there last week...SO TRUE! Tomorrowland is my favorite land in the MK, but it needs some serious TLC

tirian

Perhaps just about every Arrow corkscrew or looper model that's still out there?

I'd rate the wheels and the actual trains to go bad before the track ever will. How often to railroads change the rail? Not very, and you're talking metal wheels on metal rails. At least coasters use plastic wheels.

Again, DL's sudden closure was due to foundation/support problems, not just the track. As far as I know, WDW doesn't have the foundation issues.

The wheels are already changed through regular maintenance, and the rockets need SHOCKS for crying out loud! :lol:

You also can't really compare railways that are nailed flat to the ground to coaster track built high in the air on support beams and such.

tirian

I was there last week...SO TRUE! Tomorrowland is my favorite land in the MK, but it needs some serious TLC

The land looks great at night, but it's disgusting in the day time. It looks like a giant parking lot.

Just thinking about it makes me envision melted Auntie Gravity's ice cream, along with fallen flower petals and leaves, all over the Fantasyland/Tomorrowland corridor—not to mention the popcorn kernels everywhere! :lol:

Combine this with the Buzz Lightyear queue, which is ALWAYS trashed and destroyed (peeling paint, damaged ceiling tiles, etc.), and Space Mt.'s rickety effects (see yourself on TV!), and TL looks like :hurl:.

mcjaco

You also can't really compare railways that are nailed flat to the ground to coaster track built high in the air on support beams and such.

I'm just trying to show that it's not always the track, and there's steel track out there that goes through a rougher life than coaster track. Retracking is a simple "solution" for us to come up with. It's more likely to be the wheels and the trains, before it's the track.

tirian

I'm just trying to show that it's not always the track, and there's steel track out there that goes through a rougher life than coaster track. Retracking is a simple "solution" for us to come up with. It's more likely to be the wheels and the trains, before it's the track.

Oh, I see what you're saying. :p

Yeah, the bumping is definitely mostly due to the rocket ships themselves.

But the track needs to be replaced for safety anyway. Steel coaster tracks don't last forever.

RSoxNo1

So in 6 months, what can get done?

Disneyland's was done for 18 months, right? If they had foundation issues, and there was limited to no prep done before hand because of the abrupt closure of the attraction.

Is it realistic to have track work, new effects, and an enclosed/re-done queue in 6 months?

DonaldDoleWhip

So in 6 months, what can get done?

Disneyland's was done for 18 months, right? If they had foundation issues, and there was limited to no prep done before hand because of the abrupt closure of the attraction.

Is it realistic to have track work, new effects, and an enclosed/re-done queue in 6 months?
Actually, Disneyland's refurbishment took over 2 years (April 2003 - July 2005). Of course, they had to close the attraction down abruptly because it had serious safety concerns, so WDW's should take less time because they've been able to do more advanced planning.

However, I doubt 6 months is enough time to reach a level of awesomeness like DL's Space Mountain.

jt04

Actually, Disneyland's refurbishment took over 2 years (April 2003 - July 2005). Of course, they had to close the attraction down abruptly because it had serious safety concerns, so WDW's should take less time because they've been able to do more advanced planning.

However, I doubt 6 months is enough time to reach a level of awesomeness like DL's Space Mountain.

I'm not so sure. If they really need SM to be closed for as short a span as possible they may be planning to run the project 24 hours a day and because of the way the mountain is situated the public and construction crews/equipment will be completely seperated so there are none of the logistics similar to what they are having to deal with at DHS. With a good plan they can get a lot done in 6 to 8 months. I am still hoping they learned from the SSE refurb how not to do a project timeline.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom