SPACE MOUNTAIN- I assure you, we are SOFT re-OPEN!!!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Skyway; wonderful, detailed post. If I may....
The "Pepper's Ghost" objects in the star windows are spectacularly lit, better than I could have imagined. And some even have very defined areas painted in different colors. In particular, I noticed that the SM rocket (with old glow stripes and nose) zooming in circles
Good to know they were worked on. I havn`t heard if the preceeding ones have been fixed? In the star corridor? The rocket flying in circles sounds like nice detail - the rocket illumination has been broken for ages alone.
I didn't catch the safety video, but if they went to the expense of a new screen, I'm certain it will eventually be replaced with a new video.
Single screen? That`s better. One small CRT or one large flat / projection?

Mr. Plastic Sign Maker was hard at work here too, replacing those panels behind the load area
Sigh.... a lot of the new ones leak as bad as the old ones. And the launch holding ones are still able to miss their cue. Oh for LED scrolling displays for each display ;) Don`t suppose you noticed if the top most ones of the lift hills (3 seconds to launch) were working? They`ve been faulty for years.
The sparkle effect at the end of that tunnel, while neat and unexpected, is totally unnecessary. The time and expense for that should have been put elsewhere. It's merely a one second flash.
I think the effect works better than the old mirror; the one second effect you refer to is purely the end of the effect. If only they had installed the whole effect in the whole launch tube the end wall effect would have been more apparent.

The lift hill props are well lit, although the sunglasses-wearing man in launch control now clearly looks like a mannequin because you can see him so well.
Sigh. We`re still in soft opening, but I guess the minimal animation didn`t happen. At least the lighting has been improved.
The earth projection above the lift hill is missing.
That will hopefully return. I agree, it was a nice and show enhancing detail.
However, that work of enclosing the queue is ruined by a new projection on the wall straight ahead of the lift hill. It's some kind of spinning galaxy or something.
Interesting. It sounds like the projector hasn`t been aimed or focused properly yet. Not the original idea, but I`m glad something happened in this area.
Part of the reason may be the new star projector
They have been in place for over a year. I`m guessing they brought them all online now.
But after convincing myself that this SM would be OK with no on-board audio, I've decided I was wrong. Audio would help this thing immensely.
Indeed. You know my thoughts on that. But with a strengthened structure it isn`t an impossibility further down the line. This refurb - track not included - could have been amazing with a little more added. We could have had the perfect dark family rollercaoster. Story, suspense, thrills, piles of visual effects and a story-telling score to match. The score was so important to WDI and the company for DLPs SM:M1 they spent a fortune creating the soundtracker system for a (much rougher) coaster. Like so many things they`ve held back here at the final hurdle. Again, not including track, the majority of the additions that are missing can be added relatively easily at a later date. Should TDO want to. WDI certainly did.

And Timetopretend; nice info ;)

love disney

I understand that some people will like the refurbished Space Mountain, and others will be upset that more wasn't done. As for myself, I am just happy that we have it back (well, almost, it's still in soft opening and likely some of the new effects haven't been seen maybe) and I can not wait to get back in early to mid December!!!

In regards to on-board music, my personal opinion is that I think it is probably better without it. I like the music on Rockin' Roller Coaster, but I can't imagine what type of music could both fit in and enhance SM...just my personal opinion.

One final note, I am relatively new here, what does TDO mean? I tried to look it up in the list of abbreviations but couldn't find it. Thanks!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If you believe what you read about their actions It may mean Totally Dull Organistation,

but its something like The Disney Organistation, or Team Disney Orlando, depending on who you believe.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Before and after comparison

I`ve collated all the pics I have from my reference project last year and put them in
http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showgallery.php?cat=4068&ppuser=0

Some may find it useful to see how things used to be compared to now.

There is also the video edit I did for this project too showing the entire onstage attraction from walk in to walk out - with tonnes of details, lights on and off, TTA lights on and off etc. etc. - the whole 9 yards. Exterior, preshow, load, ride, post show, arcade.... everything except the chicken exits:

http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=364

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
On-ride photo...
4104981343_4d7851dd21_b.jpg

Exprcoofto

I'm not sure I can asnwer that question fairly right now ... very long night at the office so to speak. But I just saw the post and since this Seinfeldian thread might hit 178 pages before I can return ... well, let's see if I can 'splain this as I am nodding off:snore::snore::snore: ...

Better than DL would be a complete upgrade of ride experience (probably 90% of what was done in this rehab had NOTHING to do with that). Again, doesn't mean it would have to be a wild looping track ... or even adding sound (although I do believe this is such a simple and, yes, cheap addition ... which shows how cheap TDO went on this) ... but a reworking and updating that would make the attraction cutting edge again, like it was in the 70s and well into the 80s.

PoC and Small World and BTMRR can be timeless with minor tweaking. By nature of its story and placement, SM can't.

And the idea that 70s nostalgia is the new theme is so beyond lame it makes DinoRama a work of genius by comparison.

You just don't dumb something that was once so great and groundbreaking down to such an incredibly LCD level ... even if some foamed up fanbois are sliding around in their puddles.

Did that help at all?:xmas:

Yup sure did! Thanks for that. Just wanted to know how SM could be better, if done right, from your opinion. :)

EPCOT Explorer

As pictured in an earlier post (by Mr. Epcot, I think), there is a little model of Spaceship Earth on a shelf behind the robot butler in the final scene of the Space Mountain post-show. It's not the one from the old SSE descent--the globe portion is a little bit larger than an average snow globe, and it has little pylon legs.

Edit:

4102778483_c2c1d0f76e_b.jpg
It's not the same shape, either, it's angled. Love it, though....Nice little shout out.
Not in the queue. I don't remember what the BGM was in the post-show...or even if there was any.
What is the BGM like now?

That crystal looking overhead light looks like it was from Horizons.
:eek: Indeed it does! :D I wonder if that's the actual one.

SkyWay mentioned something about there being a ton of screens, right? FLATscreens for the games?

Geeesh. I wonder how much THOSE cost, while they could have easily had less, and used the money on ride effects.:brick:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm not surprised in the least. What I am surprised about is how fickle fanbois get excited by paint and Horizons Easter eggs in the post show, while forgetting conveniently that Disney doesn't make those type of attractions anymore.

At the moment, that is true, but like recovering from the dark days of the Pressler era, some of us can maintain hope when we see signs like this, that people in WDI still remember and appreciate those references.

EPCOT Explorer

At the moment, that is true, but like recovering from the dark days of the Pressler era, some of us can maintain hope when we see signs like this, that people in WDI still remember and appreciate those references.
I think they do...Little signs like this show that THEY want to be unique, while they are made to be generic.

Thrill Seeker

Jasonflz

Here are my two videos I recorded from yesterday. The first shows off the new queue line and the ride itself in night vision (can't see a ton, but still)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGwsbMiyl2o&feature=PlayList&p=FEC6E58E61E21C67

The other shows off the new post show, on ride photo and gift shop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUSivvjuSa4&feature=PlayList&p=FEC6E58E61E21C67&index=9

Check 'em out to see everything we've been talking about in action...

:wave: Awesome. People [guests] seem really excited to ride it.

Btw: was there any music playing the post show. I thought I heard a faint hint of something but I'm not fully sure. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom