Space Mountain Heading to the Scrap Heap :)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
You're never walking around on Earth in Tomorrowland. Tomorrowland is an alien spaceport that is occupied by aliens, robots, humans, and other intergalactic beings.

Space Mountain is a transportation service of the Tomorrowland Transit Authority.

You are in space all along, Space Mountain just allows you to travel elsewhere in space.

The queue does sort of make that clear, considering you're looking out of windows into a starscape... just saying.

And as far as the refurb goes, even us Tland Cast Members are being kept pretty in the dark. About all I can confirm is that they will be replacing sections of the track (mostly out of safety concern, it's about to collapse) and removing the asbestos. I also know that as far back as 2007, John Lasseter and various Imagineers were in SM during third shift walking the track and riding the ride in total darkness to see how it would be on the ride if they enclosed the queue. Outside of that, I got nothing.

Oh, and as far as we knew... it was originally supposed to go down over a year ago and just now be somewhat close to reopening. Most of us found out the actual rehab dates online. There was even a countdown clock in the breakroom that they eventually just gave up on updating as it became more clear that the rehab wasn't happening. :brick:
Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I figured as much about queue in SM, but I didnt know if the stairs going down into the tunnel was some sort of space warp or an extension of earth... to possibly a Station 77 type deal. :shrug:

The Conundrum

Ummm...the structural integrity of the ride suddenly came into question. :lookaroun

They were then faced with two options:
1- Open it and let guests ride it.
2- Close it four months early and just let it sit there.
They chose the option that didn't involve..uhh...possible negative guest impact.

Basically if they opened it there was a 99% chance that guests would have been injured and killed.

After the Mark Twain and Big Thunder Mountain death incidents they decided to get a clue.

Lee

Adventurer
Basically if they opened it there was a 99% chance that guests would have been injured and killed.
Well....99% may be a bit much...but it was a definate possibility.

After the Mark Twain and Big Thunder Mountain death incidents they decided to get a clue.
Not quite.
It was the Columbia that had the accident, and Space Mtn. closed before the crash on Big Thunder.
Neither were really a factor in SM's closure, but just further highlighted the maintenance issues that had been allowed to build up out there under that old regime.

magicmaya

I rode BTMR 5 rides before the accident.I'm very lucky! I got the news when I walking away from the ride and I almost started crying.

imagineer boy

You're never walking around on Earth in Tomorrowland. Tomorrowland is an alien spaceport that is occupied by aliens, robots, humans, and other intergalactic beings.

I don't know, on Alien Encounter Chairman Clench said, "We were of course extremely enthused when our market research probe discovered the earth. A world with so many eager customers is always worth our greatest effort." Which pretty much signified the Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center as well as the rest of Tomorrowland is indeed on earth. :shrug: I don't know, maybe it TL gets the refurb it deserves maybe they can make the theme more clear.

raven

Instead of banging your heads against a wall how about you start voting with your wallet and stop spending money at Disney World till they get there act together.

As long as people come in droves WDW just going to get worse and worse. They need a REAL kick in the pants.

:veryconfu So you think that by spending less money at WDW and having people boycot it will cause Disney to spend more on an attraction? Or maybe we all could just send mass emails telling people to not go to Disney at all and sit back and watch the property be leveled and sold off to locals. That would really show them. :hammer:

Jasonflz

I don't know, on Alien Encounter Chairman Clench said, "We were of course extremely enthused when our market research probe discovered the earth. A world with so many eager customers is always worth our greatest effort." Which pretty much signified the Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center as well as the rest of Tomorrowland is indeed on earth. :shrug: I don't know, maybe it TL gets the refurb it deserves maybe they can make the theme more clear.

Don't forget the banner.

X-S Tech Now On Earth

WDITrent

Instead of banging your heads against a wall how about you start voting with your wallet and stop spending money at Disney World till they get there act together.

As long as people come in droves WDW just going to get worse and worse. They need a REAL kick in the pants.
I am a northern Californian who probably goes to WDW about one thirty-sixth times as much as everyone else does. :wave:

panther726

I sure hope your right. But I'll believe it when I see it. They haven't impressed me with anything they've done since M:S. I'm ready and waiting to be pleasantly surprised.

You weren't impressed with Soarin?:shrug:

Anyways, let's give it some time. Plus, Space Mountain wasn't the Mecca of coasters in Orlando last time I checked.

People go to Universal if they want coasters.

EPCOT Explorer

:veryconfu So you think that by spending less money at WDW and having people boycot it will cause Disney to spend more on an attraction? Or maybe we all could just send mass emails telling people to not go to Disney at all and sit back and watch the property be leveled and sold off to locals. That would really show them. :hammer:

Don't try to use logic here...:lookaroun It can be quite a enigma if you do.:lookaroun

SirGoofy

You weren't impressed with Soarin?:shrug:

No. Ooohhhhh look I'm moving ever so slightly in front of a screen. It's fun, but far from impressive.

Anyways, let's give it some time. Plus, Space Mountain wasn't the Mecca of coasters in Orlando last time I checked.

People go to Universal if they want coasters.

That's not the point. It's about the theming and plussing the show with Disney. If this refurb is anything less than the Haunted Mansion one, I will be disappointed.

The Conundrum

Are you aware of the whole Disney's California Adventure fiasco?

Instead of calling me crazy :hammer::hammer::hammer:why don't you do some research instead of being rude and jumping to conclusions.

Disney made a bad park, not many people visited park for the six years its been open, new management at disney finally came to the conclusion drastic steps needed to be taken to make the park profitable tht is why they injected the park with a 1.2 billion dollar stimulus which will retheme and retool several sections of the park and add some REAL attractions (Carsland, Little Mermaid).

It did not get "sold off to locals" or any such thing.

The same thing will happen to WDW if less people come to the parks. It will force them to get there ____*t together.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom