something needs to be done re: flash photography

EPCOT.nut

If I ever see you around I'll make sure that I use flash photography to take away the magic of the experience. I'll also push in front of you in all rides, I'll make sure to position myself so that you are unable to see the parades or shows, I'll smoke next to you in a non-designated area and I'll ask anyone will a stoller or EVC nearby to run into you. If you don't like it, don't go because I obviously have a right to spoil your enjoyment.

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:I'd like to help in any way I can.

:lol:

themerebear6453

Haunted Mansion

I hate flash photography at Disney World. Its alright if your not in a dark ride or if your at a show like Fantasmic but in rides like the Haunted Mansion it ruins the effects for younger riders. My six year old sister was riding the mansion with me when someone took pictures of Madame Leota ruining the floating effect. It wouldn't have bothered me so much if she didn't truely believe that the head was floating and someone spoiled the fun for her. The same thing for Pirates of the Carribean: a lady was taking pictures right in my dads face so we took our camera and every time she was about to take a picture in our eyes we took one in hers. But she didn't seem to get the point. With digital cameras you can take tons of non-flash pictures and keep only the ones that come out that way you wouldn't ruin the ride for others and you'll get better pictures than you would with the flash. There needs to be more than just the "no flash photography" signs and warnings. We need a video or something explaining how it will ruin the effects before the rides. I don't know how they could do that but they're Disney and I bet they could figure it out.

sarabi

People are dumb. Lots of people together = mass stupidity.

If I can, I will tell the person taking the flash photo on the ride that it won't turn out with the flash on.

I have this fantasy where there's a CM at unloading whose been watching a camera located right at Jack Sparrow on POTC the entire time. When she sees people unloading that have used flash at that time, she asked them for their "key to the kingdom". She then scans the barcode on it into a machine that prevents the holder from obtaining any fastpasses for the rest of the day due to their use of flash photography when it's prohibited on a ride.

Oh well, it's just a fantasy....

Since1976

I was at Target sorting through my new prints while a woman did the same on the counter beside me. She had just come back from Disney, and she had about 2 dozen shots in succession of black nothingness with just the barest hints of people in the distance. The only things that were bright and clear were the heads of the people in front of her. She had, of course, used the flash during a night time show or dark ride.

Her muttered reaction? "This camera is just as bad as the last one!"

I chimed in and explained that there no reason to use Flash during a night show, especially when your subject is 200 feet away. I didn't bother to reprimand her on how annoying Flash is in general.

Since1976

Yes!!

To complain about people using flash photography is like saying I wish those people would stop getting in line in front of me. Its really rude and its making it harder for me to ride this ride because there are other people at Disney and they shouldnt be here messing up my schedule. Yeah, I know its against the rules and all of you are so perfect.:D

The rides and shows at Disney are like movies. They are designed to be experienced without distraction. Would you take flash photos of the screen in a movie theater? Of course not! It would be just as annoying, not to mention just as pointless.

When someone takes a flash picture during a ride, for those few seconds I am thinking about them, and not the attraction, and this really makes me angry.

themerebear6453

oh yeah

I just remembered this and need to get this rant out:
One time we were watching It's Tough to be a Bug and a guy actually tried to take pictures of the screen. NOT Hopper or Flick but the actual screen.

cooleo

I do believe I recall someone on this site having a Signature that fits this thread perfectly:

"Make something Idiot proof & someone will make a better Idiot"

Or something along those lines! Fitting. :lol:

burninup4nick

its really bad on Soarin too...the attendants come on in the middle of the ride "please quit taking flash photos thank you" like 3 different times in one ride. people obviously dont care that they are making the attraction less magical for other guests :(

^^^ aahh I was beat to it! lol As I was reading this thread, I just kept saying to myself... "It is especially annoying when thay take flash pics on Soarin'" ... I wornder how great those pictures turn out anyway :brick: :ROFLOL:

BrittanyRose428

Whats the point of using the flash though? Why can't they just let the pictures come out dark and then brighten them on the computer when they go home. Even places like Walgreens will do that its not that difficult. :shrug:

DivineMadness7

So if you go to this page and watch the little video of the staircase scene of HM
http://www.hauntedmansion.com/secrets_conservatory.php
Twice you can hear someone shout "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY"

Now, I do hate people who use flash with the fire of a thousand suns....but if the reason flash photography bothers you is that it disrupts the experience of other guests, how does SHOUTING help to not disrupt the magic? Something to consider.

Mystic

You guys are some of the biggest bunch of babies I've ever heard. Oh, it hurts my eyes, it gives me migraines. Quit whining, some people dont get to go to Disney too often and want take pictures to remember things. If you dont like flash photography dont go.

Have you ever experienced an honest to god migraine? Because comments like that tell me that you have absolutely NO idea of the amount of pain you suffer while having a migraine. I do suffer migraines (think head splitting, brain pounding pain along with the feeling of having ice picks slammed through your eye and your temple) and I can tell you if I'm even starting to get one, the constant flashing of camera's on the dark rides can trigger a severe migraine. Most migraines tend to make the sufferer sensitive to light so even the light from a camera flash can be mind numbing. And before you say I shouldn't be there because I suffer from migraines I do and have gone back to the WL when one kicks in so I can sleep it off but why should I have to give up MY park time because some idiots in front of me can't keep their hands off the camera flash button.

EPCOT Explorer

Hey, here's a thought...

How about accepting that there are people who yes,are less than intelligent,and ignoring the flash?...I'm so thrilled to be in Disney that these little things don't get to me.

I honestly could do without the flash but if it happens, it happens...NBD.Same with FP Abuse...Pool Hopping...EMH abuse...Parking at hotel...AND ALL THE OTHER TRIVIAL THINGS WE ARGUE ABOUT.:lol:

No big deal...I'm in Disney...I'm happy.:D

EPCOT.nut

Hey, here's a thought...

How about accepting that there are people who yes,are less than intelligent,and ignoring the flash?...I'm so thrilled to be in Disney that these little things don't get to me.

I honestly could do without the flash but if it happens, it happens...NBD.Same with FP Abuse...Pool Hopping...EMH abuse...Parking at hotel...AND ALL THE OTHER TRIVIAL THINGS WE ARGUE ABOUT.:lol:

No big deal...I'm in Disney...I'm happy.:D

No, I stick by my prior post that it really does detract from the ride experience, especially POTC - it's difficult for the eyes to adjust to sudden bright light and then right back to the low-light scenes. Makes it difficult to see.

agent86

its really bad on Soarin too...the attendants come on in the middle of the ride "please quit taking flash photos thank you" like 3 different times in one ride. people obviously dont care that they are making the attraction less magical for other guests :(

Honestly, I think having that announcement come on 3 different times would do much more to ruin the magic than any camera flashes. Just my humble opinion. Maybe it's because I've come to just accept that camera flashes are something that just comes with the experience (like it or not).

agent86

Yes!!

To complain about people using flash photography is like saying I wish those people would stop getting in line in front of me. Its really rude and its making it harder for me to ride this ride because there are other people at Disney and they shouldnt be here messing up my schedule. Yeah, I know its against the rules and all of you are so perfect.:D

That is a worthless analogy. The two are nothing alike. Since your brain can't make an analogy properly I can see why you think it is fine to take flash pics on a dark ride...you're not fully operational, just like the people who take pics......:wave:

Wow, that's kind of harsh, don't you think? For what it's worth, I didn't interpret earldw28's post as saying he "thinks it is fine" to take flash pics on a dark ride. I think he was basically just saying that people taking flash pics is something that just kind of comes with the territory when you go to WDW (just like having to stand in line for attractions, etc), and that if you waste time and energy complaining or worrying about it, you're only doing yourself a disservice...because it's gonna happen anyway. Then again, maybe I misunderstood his post. But for what it's worth, I agree with the other posters who said it's not a big enough deal to let it ruin your vacation.

The Mom

Premium Member
Guys, could you please express a difference of opinion without using personal attacks, being rude, etc? Thank you. ;)

DisneyGigi

I have never- taken a flash photo where it wasn't allowed, entered a few minutes late with a FP without pointing it out to a CM and asking if it was okay, smoked in a non-smoking area, pool hopped, went to an EMH when I wasn't allowed, lied about my kids age to get them in free or cheaper, or had them step on their tiptoes to meet the height requirements- but that is just me but I am a stickler for rules. Each to his own I guess.:shrug: :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom