Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

BrerJon

Having Tinkerbell makes no sense. The whole ride is real (well, partially CGI but made to look real), then a random cartoon character pops up. It makes sense in Disneyland, because we see Tink flying over the castle for real during fireworks, but there's no Epcot connection. Much better to have no characters at all.

mrprojectionist

My wife & I just got off of the ride at 6:45pm ET. We were in concourse C, loading area A, row 2, last two seats.

We enjoyed the ride, but noticed a lot of distortion on the objects during 2nd half of the show. Straight objects looked bent or curved...my wife even joked that she didn't know they changed it to the leaning tower of Eifel. It was VERY noticeable, to the extent that it took us out of the moment.

Not sure if it was something wrong with our particular rode, or if we just had a bad seat. But looks of things looked bad. I first noticed it on the Africa scene, it appeared that the elephants were falling down. The formations in monument valley appear curved, and the pyramids didn't looks straight.

Hoping it was just a glitch. I was disappointed...been looking forward to this for months and excited to see the new show.

ToTBellHop

My wife & I just got off of the ride at 6:45pm ET. We were in concourse C, loading area A, row 2, last two seats.

We enjoyed the ride, but noticed a lot of distortion on the objects during 2nd half of the show. Straight objects looked bent or curved...my wife even joked that she didn't know they changed it to the leaning tower of Eifel. It was VERY noticeable, to the extent that it took us out of the moment.

Not sure if it was something wrong with our particular rode, or if we just had a bad seat. But looks of things looked bad. I first noticed it on the Africa scene, it appeared that the elephants were falling down. The formations in monument valley appear curved, and the pyramids didn't looks straight.

Hoping it was just a glitch. I was disappointed...been looking forward to this for months and excited to see the new show.
Images have always bent if you have a side set because the screen curves.

VJ

Having Tinkerbell makes no sense. The whole ride is real (well, partially CGI but made to look real), then a random cartoon character pops up. It makes sense in Disneyland, because we see Tink flying over the castle for real during fireworks, but there's no Epcot connection. Much better to have no characters at all.
It's an iconic portion of the original that I'm happy returned. Made me smile watching it for the first time.

brb1006

It would have made more sense if Figment showed up or at least Dreamfinder's blimp coming across as you fly over Spaceship Earth.

jt04

Ya'll are killing me!! All these reviews and spoilers and not a single spoiler button in site!! I don't get to ride until Oct and don't want to know any details. I'm going to have to ban myself from this thread.

I've been to your avatar. I am still disoriented. :geek:

No Name

So I was not in Epcot today for the opening. But I watched it on my ipad, swinging and tilting it back and forth occasionally to simulate movement. Oh, and I sprayed an air freshener every 30 seconds or so.

Since I've now experienced the ride, I will say that I think it's great. I think this is a better fit for Epcot, and it's gotten good reactions and reviews in Shanghai and here today, so I'd say this was a good choice. A plus in my book.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I had a chance to get my first ride tonight as well and I really did enjoy it. The transitions are a little bit jarring (not in a bad way) at first but they do make it a little more exciting than the original version. I had made point of avoiding any online videos from Shanghai so it was all new and I do think its a great refresh of an already insanely popular attraction.

Lines seemed to stabilize today to around 45 minutes with all 3 theaters open. I'll be interested to see what the new normal is for wait time as we head fully into the busy summer season.

RSoxNo1

I'm assuming the third theater is also 87 seats? Does anyone know what the hourly capacity was per theater?

Part of that question would be if the new film has a different run time than the old California film. If the new film is shorter, it could lead to shorter cycle times and more overall hourly capacity.

1827 expected capacity, 2000-2100 actual. These would be the new numbers.

Herbie

I still don't understand why they they move the ride back to the ground with the blue screen...

something that can't escape me is the idea that somehow they had to do it for liability where people might do stupid things when their feet hit the ground in the dark..

It would be cool if the camera actually lowered along 'with us' back into The Land pavilion...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom