Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

Goofyernmost

I mean still show the EPCOT ending but fly over Shanghai before that. Just look at how similar Shanghai is to Corusant:
Do you think that they want anyone to compare WDW to Shanghai? They don't show Epcot in Shanghai. The parks are just vacation destinations the show is about the world other then Disney except for the end.

cindy_k

Road soarin last night for the first time in looong while. Line wait usually has me skipping it. Sunday evening 6pm ride time was 15min. Amazing! Improvement.
The movie was fine, the ride fun. I was at the left end so all the scenes had a pronounced fisheye bend to them. Eiffel tower looked like it was made out of rubber.
I do appreciate that its no longer Christmas in disneyland. That always bothered me.

JohnD

Do you think that they want anyone to compare WDW to Shanghai? They don't show Epcot in Shanghai. The parks are just vacation destinations the show is about the world other then Disney except for the end.

Squeezing it in as an extra scene would be nice for ours with still ending on Epcot but Shanghai had to end on the cityscape. Perhaps after SDL is open for a year or more, they could swap in a flight over SDL for their show. Couldn't do it for a park that just opened.

DisneyCane

My wife & I just got off of the ride at 6:45pm ET. We were in concourse C, loading area A, row 2, last two seats.

We enjoyed the ride, but noticed a lot of distortion on the objects during 2nd half of the show. Straight objects looked bent or curved...my wife even joked that she didn't know they changed it to the leaning tower of Eifel. It was VERY noticeable, to the extent that it took us out of the moment.

Not sure if it was something wrong with our particular rode, or if we just had a bad seat. But looks of things looked bad. I first noticed it on the Africa scene, it appeared that the elephants were falling down. The formations in monument valley appear curved, and the pyramids didn't looks straight.

Hoping it was just a glitch. I was disappointed...been looking forward to this for months and excited to see the new show.

There were distortions in the original version as well. Right off the bat, the towers of the Golden Gate Bridge were curved and you could also notice a curvature to the bridge deck.

Tom Morrow

Just experienced Soarin' Around the World and here are my thoughts:

better than the original in every possible way.

- Very happy they kept Patrick and the same safety video.
- There are new wind sound effects as you board.
- The presentation is just so much more tight and professional. Before even taking off, there are already clouds rushing by on the screen. When landing, the last firework appears to drift down with your carriage. Much better than taking off and landing in darkness, IMO. Having transitions between the scenes is so much better, and some of them even add a little bit of thrill.
- It is perhaps slightly more thrilling than the previous version. The tilting of the carriage is more noticeable throughout.
- The CGI didn't really bother me and untrained eyes probably won't notice.
- Three different scents!
- I love how the musical theme is the same as before, but is modified based on your location.
- And of course, the new digital projection and re-designed queue look great.

EthanMagicBands

I just rode the new one. Not a fan. I didn't feel like it was nearly as dramatic with it's swooping drops. The Eiffel Tower bending really bothered me. Some of the CGI was very heavy.

I just didn't get the same thrill as the California version. My opinion might not be popular, but I honestly liked the CA one better.

Tom Morrow

I just rode the new one. Not a fan. I didn't feel like it was nearly as dramatic with it's swooping drops. The Eiffel Tower bending really bothered me. Some of the CGI was very heavy.

I just didn't get the same thrill as the California version. My opinion might not be popular, but I honestly liked the CA one better.
There are at least two swooping motions in this version that are more "intense" (using that word lightly) than any movements in the original version. The Golden Gate Bridge bent in the original and all of the "action" in every scene was CGI too.

EthanMagicBands

There are at least two swooping motions in this version that are more "intense" (using that word lightly) than any movements in the original version. The Golden Gate Bridge bent in the original and all of the "action" in every scene was CGI too.

Ok, but I still stand by my opinion. The intensity is debatable, and CGI was more noticeable to me, and the bend of the tower was more prominent. I was not thrilled with it. I like the CA version better.

*Q*

I think the original was vastly superior, really added up to more than the sum of its parts. This one was great, but just doesn't quite reach that level.

Tom Morrow

.... I realllly think you guys are letting nostalgia influence your opinion. It's the exact same concept, just executed better and a little more CGI enhancement. It certainly has more of a "place" in Epcot than before.

Or you've forgotten that Soarin' was never really an amazing ride to begin with and you became complacent with it.

I guess if I had one complaint, it would be some of the location choices.

Last edited:

180º

.... I realllly think you guys are letting nostalgia influence your opinion. It's the exact same concept, just executed better and a little more CGI enhancement. It certainly has more of a "place" in Epcot than before.

Or you've forgotten that Soarin' was never really an amazing ride to begin with and you became complacent with it.

I guess if I had one complaint, it would be some of the location choices.
I absolutely agree that Soarin' Over the World is a perfect fit for Epcot, and makes so much more sense than the California film. I've been wanting this since 2005.

I take issue with your assertion that it is objectively a better film than the original. I find the original a bit more sophisticated and poetic, and the various wipe transitions in SATW kind of goofy. I feel the pacing and score (though I love Bruce Broughton to no end, and I wonder if part of the problem is the film was given to work with) lacks the emotion of its predecessor. I will say the Eiffel Tower scene is a perfect crescendo to the finale. There are definite bright points, but I could definitely argue that the California film is artistically stronger.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom