Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

Incomudro

I was hoping FoP would be a little more high-tech. I thought this was going to be a "thrill" ride, unlike the current Soarin'. I will wait to judge it.
I remember when Disney didn't play it so safe. Sure, sometimes that means Test Track level problems, but without the 2 years of delays, we would have never gotten RSR at DCA.

I gotta get off the boards for a while. With the possible closure of Star Tours, the value-engineered version of the Slinky Dog coaster, budget cutbacks and general lack of caring I am seeing from Disney, I am starting to feel depressed.

Doesn't mean it won't have more thrill.
I'd be willing to bet that the ride will run the range from gentle and breezy, to some thrilling moments of plunging off of cliffs and maneuvering through forests.
Done with a much higher degree of immersion.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was hoping FoP would be a little more high-tech. I thought this was going to be a "thrill" ride, unlike the current Soarin'. I will wait to judge it.
I remember when Disney didn't play it so safe. Sure, sometimes that means Test Track level problems, but without the 2 years of delays, we would have never gotten RSR at DCA.

I gotta get off the boards for a while. With the possible closure of Star Tours, the value-engineered version of the Slinky Dog coaster, budget cutbacks and general lack of caring I am seeing from Disney, I am starting to feel depressed.

We know it's a "ride vehicle in front of a screen" ride system, but there is still a lot of room for innovation there. This ride system does have a large range of motion then Soarin' which should help with the thrill factor.

PorterRedkey

Doesn't mean it won't have more thrill.
I'd be willing to bet that the ride will run the range from gentle and breezy, to some thrilling moments of plunging off of cliffs and maneuvering through forests.
Done with a much higher degree of immersion.
I hope so! I know the land will be awesome, I just hope the attractions live up to the atmosphere. I personally don't need a thrill ride, just an immersive experience that surprised me.

I hate to be such a Donnie Downer. I really do believe better times are ahead for WDW, they just can't get here soon enough.

JourneysEnd

Well, for what it's worth, when I'm there at the end of May with my kids (providing it is open again) I'll be standing in line to enjoy the old version just as I have every time before. I'd greatly appreciate it if folk complaining about the new film not being shown at that time would steer clear of the Soarin' queue all together.
Agreed. I'm bringing two people who have never been to EPCOT. They don't care what film is showing. To be honest I've been several times and I wouldn't know the difference.

Ripken10

While I look forward to the new show, I wish I could see the old one again. I concur with those on here saying that posters are in such a small minority of the WDW vacationers -- they just want a ride to do, and many have never been on Soarin over California. Moreover, it seems the overriding opinion of even the posters is they love the old video and would ride it again.

I seriously doubt they ever would even consider it, but wish they would keep one theater with California, and the other two over the world. Make the One of two theaters for over the world FP+ Tier 1, and make over California FP+ Tier 2....ok, maybe only in my dream world would they do that, but I would ride both when I was down there.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member

Reading these threads sometimes depresses me too.

And then I spend my annual 10/11 days in the parks where:
- I have a wonderful time
- I am blown away by the sheer beauty of the parks
- my eyes tear up the second I step on to MSUSA for the first time
- I am treated kindly by every single CM I meet
- I am called a Princess, and at 48 years old I actually feel like one
- I stay in a lovely room at a beautiful resort
- I enjoy every single bite of every meal served to me
- I start dreaming about and planning my next trip before my plane even leaves MCO

And I think to myself - Where the heck did these other people go that they had such a lousy time?

Mike S

- I start dreaming about and planning my next trip before my plane even leaves MCO

And I think to myself - Where the heck did these other people go that they had such a lousy time?
I still have fun there too. Loads of it. Doesn't mean I don't also see flaws in things like maintenance, food quality, never ending cuts, the repercussions of MM+/-, and the fact the resort as a whole hasn't seen a new E Ticket in 10 years. 11 by the time Avatar finally opens.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I still have fun there too. Loads of it. Doesn't mean I don't also see flaws in things like maintenance, food quality, never ending cuts, the repercussions of MM+/-, and the fact the resort as a whole hasn't seen a new E Ticket in 10 years. 11 by the time Avatar finally opens.
And that is a balanced approach. I take no issue with seeing the flaws. I see the flaws too. I'm not blind.

There are those, however, who do nothing but harp, nothing but complain, nothing but criticize. Clearly you and I do not fall into that camp.

And getting back on topic ....
When I mentioned to Hubby about a new film coming, and probably a new score, he asked, "Can't they just synch the new film so that it fits the old music?"

Assuming they cannot, I will really, really miss that fabulous score. It's track #11 on my Disney Parks CD, and I listen to it at least a dozen times/week.

That being said, I also listen to track #7 a lot.
It's a Small World
I may or may not substitute my own wildly inappropriate lyrics though.

Marlins1

I agree with you on new attractions and maintenance - those two are pretty obvious with the exception of the Splash refurb. I was hoping that one would become a trend when it happened but have been disappointed since. I like MM+ much better than running around chasing paper fast passes then going back to the same place when it is time to ride. I do agree that it is often used for rides that would be better off as pure standby (HM, POTC etc.). I don't get the food complaints - I'm with Jennifer, I know where to go and I enjoy just about every meal I have on property. Food seems to get better all the time to me. I also agree with Jennifer about the resorts. Yes I spend a lot of money for a room but they are some of my favorite hotels that I stay at anywhere.

Mike S

I agree with you on new attractions and maintenance - those two are pretty obvious with the exception of the Splash refurb. I was hoping that one would become a trend when it happened but have been disappointed since. I like MM+ much better than running around chasing paper fast passes then going back to the same place when it is time to ride. I do agree that it is often used for rides that would be better off as pure standby (HM, POTC etc.). I don't get the food complaints - I'm with Jennifer, I know where to go and I enjoy just about every meal I have on property. Food seems to get better all the time to me. I also agree with Jennifer about the resorts. Yes I spend a lot of money for a room but they are some of my favorite hotels that I stay at anywhere.
I did say the repurcussions of MM+/-. Specifically, the horrendous Billion + budget overrun. That money could've been used so much more wisely it's not even funny.

PorterRedkey

That used to be me too, except the Princess part. My trip to Disneyland last August was wonderful, but my last trip to WDW in January for my honeymoon was... not so magical. Did I have fun? Sure, I was picked for the Indy Stunt Show and I will never forget that! It was just that some cast member interactions were bad, most of our food was just okay (except Skipper's Canteen and Sanaa which were great) and the park seemed to be dirtier than usual (soggy, smelly, half-eaten McDonalds cheeseburger at my feet in a Splash Mtn log for example). WDW just seems different now.

I am most happy when I am at AK, maybe I should just stick to that park for awhile. I will be in Orlando in October and for the first time, I am not going to WDW. I think I will go to Universal instead since I haven't been there since 1991.

I really hope you keep having great experiences in the park! I hope to have more myself ...someday.

Last edited:

doctornick

Agreed. I'm not naive enough to suggest that there hasn't been some decline in quality nor that prices have skyrocketed without a corresponding increase in additions to the resort. But, nonetheless, every time I go I still have a great time and enjoy the quality offerings. And I don't just mean from a nostalgia standpoint -- the parks are still wonderful in their own right.

But the way some folks talk around here, you'd expect the parks to look like the Dismaland.

doctornick

I don't get the food complaints - I'm with Jennifer, I know where to go and I enjoy just about every meal I have on property. Food seems to get better all the time to me.

I agree about the food as well. The quick serves aren't gourmet, but by and large are decent for the setting. I've never had any problems with the sit downs, which are IMHO uniformly quite good. Again, not exactly top tier restaurants -- though some at the resorts and DTD could count like that -- but reasonable sit down family restaurants. The prices are obvious very high, but basically what you'd expect for a captive audience location (with food quality better than your typical ballpark or movie fare IMHO).

That's not say that people don't legitimately have poor experiences at the food locations on property. But when people suggest that it is consistently "inedible" around WDW, I just feel like we must be visiting different places because I haven't seen that.

JohnWD

I did say the repurcussions of MM+/-. Specifically, the horrendous Billion + budget overrun. That money could've been used so much more wisely it's not even funny.
Let it go! :) Backend upgrades, integrating systems, and changing a batch oriented architecture to a near real time service oriented architecture is fraught with danger for every large company. $1 billion overrun - hyperbole by this board. But I agree with you completely on every wasted dollar takes away from improvements. On this board, every cut takes away what would have been the greatest thing ever, and every dollar over the original budget is considered waste and not a plus. (I don't apply this to Shanghai - I have experience on large projects in Asia and building with local labor just means pouring money down the drain...)

Marlins1

I can't argue with that. Now that they are here I do like the bands etc. but yes that money could have been used for some great additions and a much less depressing Space Mountain!

Mike S

Let it go! :) Backend upgrades, integrating systems, and changing a batch oriented architecture to a near real time service oriented architecture is fraught with danger for every large company. $1 billion overrun - hyperbole by this board. But I agree with you completely on every wasted dollar takes away from improvements. On this board, every cut takes away what would have been the greatest thing ever, and every dollar over the original budget is considered waste and not a plus. (I don't apply this to Shanghai - I have experience on large projects in Asia and building with local labor just means pouring money down the drain...)
image.jpeg

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I am glad that a tread about expanding Soarin' has turned into another rip Disney a good one for everything possible. Have just read about twenty postings about trash in rides, MM+ overruns, Disney wasting money; but not one thing about Soarin'.

Any one heard anything new about the reopening date?

mrd016

Long time reader, first time poster, but DVCOwner basically just took the words right out of my mouth. I love the insight I read on these forums from people that know a lot more about Disney than I do. I'm also am frustrated just like most here about many of the "curious" decisions Disney's been making lately to all of our disadvantage. But I do feel like every thread I click on has turned into endless Disney ripping (deserved or not) regardless of thread title.

Would be awesome if this thread could be kept on the topic about news on Soarin' expansion and reopening. Going in late June and I'd LOVE to be able to ride it - new movie or old movie. Hoping someone has some updates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom