Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

space42

I find it hard to believe the old film comes back in Epcot.... My guess is that we will be with out this ride until they can use the film.

Not good but maybe I am wrong but I would think they money and time to program both films again is not worth it.
Why is that? They just did the same thing in California. Big rehab of soarin with an upgrade to digital projection but it re-opened with the original film. This has been the rumor since the beginning that it would re-open with the old film until sometime after Shanghai has its debut.
At least it should be easier to get a fast pass with the added fp+ theatre on line. :)

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I think this is a stupid idea...reopening with the OLD movie... but par for the course with many of their decisions here lately

Had the chance to go out to DCA recently and rode Soarin with the upgrades. Seeing the original film in digital HD was quite refreshing... especially with nice clean screens. I guess it's a bit easier to suspend your disbelief when the image you are seeing is so much crisper and cleaner. The ride is a crowd pleaser and a people eater and if there are restrictions on when they can open with the new film, I would think they would want to re-open the attraction as soon as they could, new film or not. Plus, I'd definitely appreciate one last chance to hear that beautiful score in the digital surround those theaters offer...

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Had the chance to go out to DCA recently and rode Soarin with the upgrades. Seeing the original film in digital HD was quite refreshing... especially with nice clean screens. I guess it's a bit easier to suspend your disbelief when the image you are seeing is so much crisper and cleaner. The ride is a crowd pleaser and a people eater and if there are restrictions on when they can open with the new film, I would think they would want to re-open the attraction as soon as they could, new film or not. Plus, I'd definitely appreciate one last chance to hear that beautiful score in the digital surround those theaters offer...

True. I guess my feeling is the restrictions are ridiculous - Shanghai is making wdw bend over and take one for the team it appears in many ways

I am looking forward to seeing the old soarin digitally however

dstrawn9889

True. I guess my feeling is the restrictions are ridiculous - Shanghai is making wdw bend over and take one for the team it appears in many ways

I am looking forward to seeing the old soarin digitally however
not bending over backwards, the Capex used to make the new film probably came from Shanghais' accounts... That makes the Initial Release theirs. if DCA or WDW opened first, then Shanghai could shift the expenditure to them instead of the new ride.

gmajew

not bending over backwards, the Capex used to make the new film probably came from Shanghais' accounts... That makes the Initial Release theirs. if DCA or WDW opened first, then Shanghai could shift the expenditure to them instead of the new ride.

You think the Chinese Government would not of forced this cost to be split no matter what?

No Name

I think this is a stupid idea...reopening with the OLD movie... but par for the course with many of their decisions here lately

So when they bring back the Soarin' over Cali will it be in digital format then?

Also, when they do the cutover from the it to the new video, will they then have to shut down for awhile again or will it happen overnight?

Would you rather them leave it closed? Personally, for the benefit of the hundred of thousands of guests that will be visiting in May and June, I think they should definitely open it back up as soon as possible. No good for the guests in just letting a ride sit there when it could be operating. Sure, the new movie can't be played yet, but high capacity for the park is very much needed, especially in the busier seasons.

There is no other option. Either they leave it closed and lessen the experience of nearly a million people, or they open it back up with the old movie for a time. I'm glad it sounds like they're doing with the first one.

I find it hard to believe the old film comes back in Epcot.... My guess is that we will be with out this ride until they can use the film.

Not good but maybe I am wrong but I would think they money and time to program both films again is not worth it.

It should be very easy. I assume that have both movies programmed, so to switch over from movie to movie is not much harder than flipping a few switches. It should definitely be able to at least be done overnight.

Star Tours (and TSMM to a certain extent) switch between riders, in seconds. Why should Soarin' be any different?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Would you rather them leave it closed? Personally, for the benefit of the hundred of thousands of guests that will be visiting in May and June, I think they should definitely open it back up as soon as possible. No good for the guests in just letting a ride sit there when it could be operating. Sure, the new movie can't be played yet, but high capacity for the park is very much needed, especially in the busier seasons.

There is no other option. Either they leave it closed and lessen the experience of nearly a million people, or they open it back up with the old movie for a time. I'm glad it sounds like they're doing with the first one.

It should be very easy. I assume that have both movies programmed, so to switch over from movie to movie is not much harder than flipping a few switches. It should definitely be able to at least be done overnight.

Star Tours (and TSMM to a certain extent) switch between riders, in seconds. Why should Soarin' be any different?

No I'd rather it be open with the new movie. The fact they have to wait on Shanghai's mess to finish when its ready to go in Florida is ridiculous

lazyboy97o

Stupid. I highly doubt there is a high percentage of people that would travel to both Shanghai and Orlando. Shanghai ruins everything.
Apparerently they promised the premiere to Shanghai and you don't want to upset the Chinese.
How would you like it if you payed extra to receive a product first and the company just decided to give it to someone else?

You think the Chinese Government would not of forced this cost to be split no matter what?
It is the Shanghai Disney Resort that payed for development of the film, not just the "Chinese Government." Costs are split based on the ownership arrangement. Even amongst Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World the two could pay for exclusivity. The new lands at Hong Kong Disneyland all have exclusivity arrangements and were 100% paid for by Disney.

Unplugged

The whole issue of even signing a deal where Shanghai gets it first is just absurd. It's not like WDW or DCA are going to lose some big amount of guests to Shanghai, especially for Soarin. Just a dumb decision IMHO. Split the cost 3 ways and be done with it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom