Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

RSoxNo1

Looks like Disney is telling us where the ride is going. Currently at World of Disney in DTD at Disneyland.

Cc-tD2PUYAEfem6.jpg

Cc-tD5xUAAEc-GU.jpg

pics from @Amanduh627 on twitter.
Excellent find. Interesting that China isn't on there as we know the great wall of China is featured.

DisneyCane

I'm still wondering if there will be any randomization element, which would be easy to do. I mean, there are a ton more places they could add beyond those shown in the picture above. (Quick aside: no Great Wall of China?)

I would think that eventually, if they needed to increase crowds, they would do a randomization of films but not a randomization of scenes like Star Tours. It would be difficult to get the score to work with randomized scenery and have it match the "mood" of the current visual. Think about the current film. Imagine if you mixed the scenes in a different order but kept the same score. It just wouldn't work as a complete package.

*Q*

So, fun info today from my buddy in internal marketing, apparently the "End of May" date (reportedly, May 27) is the opening of the third theater but will still have Soarin' Over California. Then, the movie switch will occur later in June or July, depending on Shanghai and when they finally open.

Honestly, I thought it would be strange if Soarin' reopened with the new movie, there wasn't ever any kind of announcement or anything of "x-date will be your last chance to soar over California before we take flight for new destinations!" I can't imagine that they wouldn't want to make a little promotion out of it, sell a commemorative pin and shirt and whatever.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Honestly, I thought it would be strange if Soarin' reopened with the new movie, there wasn't ever any kind of announcement or anything of "x-date will be your last chance to soar over California before we take flight for new destinations!"

Additionally, reopening with the original film would give them a bit of a chance to soft open the third theater to work out any possible bugs in either the ride itself or the semantics of the CMs directing guests to three theaters instead of two. That way, once they are ready to launch the new film, it should be a quick (or quicker) process.

space42

I know that Soarin' in DCA has already started switching graphics over inside the show building... so they are definitely getting ready.
Dca is still running the same show as always. They received a digital theatre upgrade last year. This is how soarin will re open here. Digital version of the original show. New soarin around the world opens later this year. This has always been the plan as far as I can tell.

JohnWD

I will be at WDW May 17 through May 25. How likely will I be able to catch a soft open?
Good question - but I don't think any answer given now would be satisfying - ask again in the beginning of May. We will be there a similar time frame, and I am really hoping it will be open - it's one of my favorites! (Ducks and runs for cover....)

ToTBellHop

Good question - but I don't think any answer given now would be satisfying - ask again in the beginning of May. We will be there a similar time frame, and I am really hoping it will be open - it's one of my favorites! (Ducks and runs for cover....)
Why should you have to run for cover? It's an incredibly-popular ride and soon it will finally belong in Epcot (if only they had moved its entrance over to northwestern World Showcase, which would have helped with crowd flow back in World Showcase, as well...

Disney Analyst

Dca is still running the same show as always. They received a digital theatre upgrade last year. This is how soarin will re open here. Digital version of the original show. New soarin around the world opens later this year. This has always been the plan as far as I can tell.

Oh I know, i'm talking about graphics inside the building. They've already started installing the new images and logo's.

Pluto89

Shanghai does have an exclusive debut of the Soarin: Around the world but the construction should be complete by the middle of May, and from the way I understand it they will open back up with Soarin: Over California until the Shanghai debut is over.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I think this is a stupid idea...reopening with the OLD movie... but par for the course with many of their decisions here lately

So when they bring back the Soarin' over Cali will it be in digital format then?

Also, when they do the cutover from the it to the new video, will they then have to shut down for awhile again or will it happen overnight?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Very doubtful. Shanghai has an exclusive and doesn't open until June, so anything we get will be after that, but before DCA for sure. WDW will get the US debut.

Why do you think we will get it before DCA? I would think they would do both right around the same time.

gmajew

Premium Member
I find it hard to believe the old film comes back in Epcot.... My guess is that we will be with out this ride until they can use the film.

Not good but maybe I am wrong but I would think they money and time to program both films again is not worth it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom