Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

JohnWD

You think the Chinese Government would not of forced this cost to be split no matter what?
My speculation only: Disney and the Chinese probably have an agreement on NRE - Non-recurring Engineering costs. In the partnership, there is probably a split. For this discussion, I would bet that any new development for Shanghai that is subsequently used at other Disney parks would require Disney to pay back some/all the NRE at some prescribed rate. Disney would have accountants and lawyers making sure that this payback is deferred as long as possible. For Soarin', the NRE payback might be deferred longer if the new film is first shown at Shanghai. This amount may seem to us as trivial compared to Disney's revenue/profits, but every dollar counts.

prfctlyximprct

How would you like it if you payed extra to receive a product first and the company just decided to give it to someone else?

It is the Shanghai Disney Resort that payed for development of the film, not just the "Chinese Government." Costs are split based on the ownership arrangement. Even amongst Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World the two could pay for exclusivity. The new lands at Hong Kong Disneyland all have exclusivity arrangements and were 100% paid for by Disney.

What idiot made a deal with Shanghai to primere it there first? I'm sure most Orlando visitors will never step foot in Shanghai throughout their lives.

lazyboy97o

What idiot made a deal with Shanghai to primere it there first? I'm sure most Orlando visitors will never step foot in Shanghai throughout their lives.
Shanghai Disney Resort paid more of the costs for the movie to be made. It is not some deal with the sneaky Chinamen. It has nothing to do with where people travel but Disney's past practices of leaching developing costs from their international business partners, primarily the Oriental Land Company.

ColdSarsaparilla

Idk if it's been mentioned, but Len said on a recent podcast that they've seen a much larger than anticipated drop in overall wait times in Epcot since Soarin' went down. It just speaks to the weakness and vulnerability of that park. It needs so much more than a Frozen overlay. It's essentially a really well-themed international food court right now.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
If I am not mistaken, some of the cost for development of attractions that are already in the Disney domestic parks that are being built in Shanghai will be paid for from the funds Disney/Shanghai are spending on the park there.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Idk if it's been mentioned, but Len said on a recent podcast that they've seen a much larger than anticipated drop in overall wait times in Epcot since Soarin' went down. It just speaks to the weakness and vulnerability of that park. It needs so much more than a Frozen overlay. It's essentially a really well-themed international food court right now.

Drop in wait times?

lazyboy97o

If I am not mistaken, some of the cost for development of attractions that are already in the Disney domestic parks that are being built in Shanghai will be paid for from the funds Disney/Shanghai are spending on the park there.
The only attraction for which that would apply is Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. All of the other new ride systems (about three) are currently unique to Shanghai Disneyland.

Last edited:

Herbie

I was there last weekend, for the evening only (5-9), but had been checking the app all day to see if there was any possibility of riding anything... It's hard to judge, because it was the evening, Gran Fiesta Tour + Nemo were breezes, Spaceship Earth was 5 min, and I swiftly rode Test Track on a single rider... could've made Ellen + Imagination if they hadn't have closed, and maybe even Mission: Space before fireworks. The general feeling really was wow, this place isn't that packed.

..also had a first hand sight of a cup-carrying guy turning and aggressively bumping into an older woman without apologizing."Gotta love that" trooper.

No Name

Shanghai Disney Resort paid more of the costs for the movie to be made. It is not some deal with the sneaky Chinamen. It has nothing to do with where people travel but Disney's past practices of leaching developing costs from their international business partners, primarily the Oriental Land Company.

Yes. Disney's Shanghai parteners paid for part of the cost of this new film. Therefore, they want it to open in their park first. There is nothing unusual or unreasonable about that.

It's actually quite generous of them. They could've demanded Disney into a five-year exclusivity deal, which would've been perfectly reasonable and not at all unprecidented. The film that Disney and their partners paid for should be exclusive to Disney and those partners' park. But now, Disney can very quickly benefit in the US parks from the money that their Shanghai partners paid. This is not fair to the chinese.

And if Shanghai wasn't being built, do you really think there would even be a new film? Guys, you all should be thanking Shanghai Disneyland and Disney's Shanghai partners for the fact that we're even getting a new film, not to mention getting it days after that park opens.

lazyboy97o

Yes. Disney's Shanghai parteners paid for part of the cost of this new film. Therefore, they want it to open in their park first. There is nothing unusual or unreasonable about that.
It may have been the partner who wanted it, but they did not have to exclusively pay. Payments go through the Resort and its partnership, not directly from the Shanghai Shendhi Group.

FigmentForver96

Was just at the park this past Tuesday and the park was virtually empty. Test Track was running a 20-30 minute wait time all day long. Mission: Space held the longest with it reaching 70 around early afternoon. World Showcase was also quiet and it was very easy to pick a spot to watch Illuminations.

No Name

It may have been the partner who wanted it, but they did not have to exclusively pay. Payments go through the Resort and its partnership, not directly from the Shanghai Shendhi Group.
I'm confused. Shanghai Shedhi Group did not pay the full cost, I understand that. But the costs go through the resort, what do you mean? Why does that matter?

I agree with what you said before, I just don't get what you are trying to say here.

DisneyChik17

I'm confused. Shanghai Shedhi Group did not pay the full cost, I understand that. But the costs go through the resort, what do you mean? Why does that matter?

I agree with what you said before, I just don't get what you are trying to say here.

TWDC is an umbrella company. They basically operate each resort area as a separate business, therefor revenue generated from one location pays for that location. Shanghai Shedhi Group contributed to the startup costs for the park, which includes exclusive access to an attraction that they helped fund. Basically, WDW would not get the new film if not for Shanghai.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom