Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

Bolt

Wondering something here. It seems that all the reports indicate that they are only using two of the theaters right now. That begs the question... if they are doing two theaters like they have been doing since it opened, why would we even expect the times to be less. When three are open, ok, but, that doesn't seem to be the case.
I don't think anyone is saying the wait time should be less with 2 theaters right now.

Goofyernmost

I don't think anyone is saying the wait time should be less with 2 theaters right now.
Go back and read through, the wait times have been criticized over and over as "nothing has improved" by adding the theater. From the moment it re-opened people have been quoting wait time. Why? Nothing was going to change as long as only two theaters were open. And if you continue to read on, it is repeated again, (quoted wait times), even after we knew it was only two. Although there have been some mention of quality of the experience, they are few. We know our priorities.

MadMax11

I have a question...not a complaint :)

Will they be opening the 3rd theater at all over the next week or so before the Soarin Around the World premier? I will be there from the 4th through the 10th, and just wanted to know.

Biff215

Go back and read through, the wait times have been criticized over and over as "nothing has improved" by adding the theater. From the moment it re-opened people have been quoting wait time. Why? Nothing was going to change as long as only two theaters were open. And if you continue to read on, it is repeated again, (quoted wait times), even after we knew it was only two. Although there have been some mention of quality of the experience, they are few. We know our priorities.
You're right, but I think it's just that some are missing that only 2 theaters are being utilized. Since the new concourse C is open I think that is causing confusion.

Even so, it seems like most are experiencing lower wait times than posted. This could be a good sign for actual waits once all three theaters are being used. Only time will tell (just clearly not the posted wait time).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wondering something here. It seems that all the reports indicate that they are only using two of the theaters right now. That begs the question... if they are doing two theaters like they have been doing since it opened, why would we even expect the times to be less. When three are open, ok, but, that doesn't seem to be the case.
Bingo. I was wondering the same thing. It's just situation normal at the moment as it has been at busy times since 2005. The difference is (hopefully) still to come.

Crazydisneyfanluke

I have a question...not a complaint :)

Will they be opening the 3rd theater at all over the next week or so before the Soarin Around the World premier? I will be there from the 4th through the 10th, and just wanted to know.
All theaters will be running for Around the World. If i remember correctly they are doing some finishing touches on the last theater and maybe programming.

RSoxNo1

My point is they likely could've gotten all this work done by spring break if they weren't sitting on their hands half the time.

All they did was switch out projectors and connect the third theatre. No way that should have taken 5 months.
I'd agree if that's all they did, but it sounds like they may have replaced the screens as well. add in the fact that the ride mechanisms have never had an extensive refurb and I kind of buy it. The big thing I would think would be the screen replacement if it did happen.

Goofyernmost

I'd agree if that's all they did, but it sounds like they may have replaced the screens as well. add in the fact that the ride mechanisms have never had an extensive refurb and I kind of buy it. The big thing I would think would be the screen replacement if it did happen.
I totally agree. That place was in need of a massive physical check up and repair (I'm sure). I didn't originally think that they were actually going to close it down, but, as you say I can't remember it ever being down for extensive maintenance. So it should be good for a while now.
It depends on what they're doing with the information. Let's say you had a really bad experience and flame them in the survey results. When they pull up your history for a new reservation, you could get flagged as a disgruntled guest and be given minimal assistance. Conversely , if you constantly give them high marks and praise you could conceivably get a better room assignment or something of the like.
So your saying we should all be nice, tolerant and respectful and we might benefit from that? Good thought, we aughta try that. Why hadn't anyone thought of that before?

doctornick

Can anyone explain why one theater is still down, though? Wouldn't it have been just as easy to work on all three theaters simultaneously when the ride was closed? If there was time to update/refurb the one old theater, they should have been able to do the other old theater at the same time. Was it an issue of not having enough skilled personnel or equipment to do the work?

DisneyCane

Can anyone explain why one theater is still down, though? Wouldn't it have been just as easy to work on all three theaters simultaneously when the ride was closed? If there was time to update/refurb the one old theater, they should have been able to do the other old theater at the same time. Was it an issue of not having enough skilled personnel or equipment to do the work?

To do it simultaneously you'd need two crews. Whether the work is being done by Disney employees or a contractor, why would you hire extra people to get a refurb done ahead of schedule? Cost with no benefit is not a good business model.

They have to be doing more than projector and screen upgrades if it is really taking this long. A projector is a maximum 2 day project. It isn't that complex.

The screen could take a few days depending on what type of screen they use. It certainly wouldn't take months to upgrade each theatre. It has to be ride system maintenance also.

flynnibus

Premium Member
To do it simultaneously you'd need two crews. Whether the work is being done by Disney employees or a contractor, why would you hire extra people to get a refurb done ahead of schedule? Cost with no benefit is not a good business model.

They have to be doing more than projector and screen upgrades if it is really taking this long. A projector is a maximum 2 day project. It isn't that complex.

The screen could take a few days depending on what type of screen they use. It certainly wouldn't take months to upgrade each theatre. It has to be ride system maintenance also.

Like I said before... Other iMax installations have taken a month to do a screen and projection upgrade. These are also omnimax curved screens which add complexity too.

But they would be doing refurb work too while they could. It would be rediculous to take the ride down for an extended period, create huge new demand by installing a new film, and then set yourself up to need another major refurb so much sooner because you didn't take advantage of the opportunity.

rob0519

I totally agree. That place was in need of a massive physical check up and repair (I'm sure). I didn't originally think that they were actually going to close it down, but, as you say I can't remember it ever being down for extensive maintenance. So it should be good for a while now.

So your saying we should all be nice, tolerant and respectful and we might benefit from that? Good thought, we aughta try that. Why hadn't anyone thought of that before?

No, I'm saying we should be honest in our criticisms and complaints and not act like some of the morons I see screaming at a castmember in City Hall. Trust me. I work for a company where every customer letter is scanned and attached to the customer's account. We can see how many times and about what a customer complained about every time they call the 800 number.

Goofyernmost

No, I'm saying we should be honest in our criticisms and complaints and not act like some of the morons I see screaming at a castmember in City Hall. Trust me. I work for a company where every customer letter is scanned and attached to the customer's account. We can see how many times and about what a customer complained about every time they call the 800 number.
Which is what I said and exactly what I sarcastically meant. People in today's world took the 'don't be a doormat' expression to heart. The don't allow for anything like a different meaning to what is said or that just because something is happening to them that seems bad doesn't mean that they are entitled to things that the rest of the world finds unimportant. They believe the saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" and on the surface that seems true, but, when one messes around with people often enough there are ways of getting back and sometimes that stops the wheel completely, because that is one way to stop the squeak.

rob0519

Which is what I said and exactly what I sarcastically meant. People in today's world took the 'don't be a doormat' expression to heart. The don't allow for anything like a different meaning to what is said or that just because something is happening to them that seems bad doesn't mean that they are entitled to things that the rest of the world finds unimportant. They believe the saying, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" and on the surface that seems true, but, when one messes around with people often enough there are ways of getting back and sometimes that stops the wheel completely, because that is one way to stop the squeak.

Sorry. Sometimes I'm not too quick. We are pretty much saying the same thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom