Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

HRHPrincessAriel

I disagree with that. When ToT first opened and you rode it the first time, it'd be worth the wait. Same with Everest with a working Yeti. Same with new Pirates in Shanghai (I'm speculating).

I'm coming at this from the angle of riding an attraction the first time. Many of these rides would theoretically still be worth a reasonable wait, but Disney has spoiled us with always being able to get out of lines.
I still wouldn't even for the 1st time.

aaronml

If it was it was resampled in the last few years with a much lower bit rate. The picture quality had dropped noticeably.
In that case I stand corrected. I personally never noticed the decrease in quality of the pre-show, but I never really paid as much attention to it as I paid to the main show. I am surprised though that they decided in 2001 to use an analog technology (I am guessing VHS?) for the pre-show instead of at least using DVDs.

hpyhnt 1000

I was there yesterday (Saturday) and there was a posted 110 minute wait. Actual wait time was 50 minutes, and concourse A was not in service. Take wait times with a grain of salt as they can be manually altered to adjust crowd flow.

Was anything playing on the interactive screens?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In that case I stand corrected. I personally never noticed the decrease in quality of the pre-show, but I never really paid as much attention to it as I paid to the main show. I am surprised though that they decided in 2001 to use an analog technology (I am guessing VHS?) for the pre-show instead of at least using DVDs.
I know. Most wouldn't notice. I'm a broadcast engineer as well as doing editing as a hobby and the blockyness stuck out to me. Especially in the data intensive cloud shots.

Texas84

Got to experience Concourse C last night. 30 minute FP wait for me, standby said 105. It has that glue/paint new building smell. Video was very clear. Saw guests lined up in B but forgot to look at A. The interactive screens were showing above clouds much like the opening before you see the Golden Gate.

Adam N

My point is they likely could've gotten all this work done by spring break if they weren't sitting on their hands half the time.

All they did was switch out projectors and connect the third theatre. No way that should have taken 5 months.
They also rebuilt the ride videos put up new screens and had to do all the new programming for the world video debuting next month. But, you're right, it should've been done over a long weekend. -__-

MagicHappens1971

Got to experience Concourse C last night. 30 minute FP wait for me, standby said 105. It has that glue/paint new building smell. Video was very clear. Saw guests lined up in B but forgot to look at A. The interactive screens were showing above clouds much like the opening before you see the Golden Gate.
Only B & C are operational

Next Big Thing

They also rebuilt the ride videos put up new screens and had to do all the new programming for the world video debuting next month. But, you're right, it should've been done over a long weekend. -__-
What you described is something that could've been done very fast had they paid for it to be done as such.

lazyboy97o

Programming of the new movie had begun at Disney's California Adventure some time ago. The beauty of using the same system and digital controls is that programming does not have to start from scratch at every location.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I know. Most wouldn't notice. I'm a broadcast engineer as well as doing editing as a hobby and the blockyness stuck out to me. Especially in the data intensive cloud shots.

Maybe they moved from direct feeds to encoded distribution over networking with crappy but rates and encoders...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Programming of the new movie had begun at Disney's California Adventure some time ago. The beauty of using the same system and digital controls is that programming does not have to start from scratch at every location.

Not from scratch, but it still would have had to go through shakedowns, test and adjust. Shorter obviously but not zero. Plus there could be generational differences between the installs we wouldn't be aware of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom