Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

DisneyCane

Like I said before... Other iMax installations have taken a month to do a screen and projection upgrade. These are also omnimax curved screens which add complexity too.

But they would be doing refurb work too while they could. It would be rediculous to take the ride down for an extended period, create huge new demand by installing a new film, and then set yourself up to need another major refurb so much sooner because you didn't take advantage of the opportunity.

When IMAX upgrades a commercial theatre to laser, they also change it over to their new 12 channel sound system. This requires a decent amount of new wiring and mounting work. Many times the theatres will replace or refurbish seats at the same time.

A projector installation doesn't take that long. If it did, converting all movie theatres to digital would have taken decades. The only major difference when installing laser projectors is connecting the fiber optic lines from the laser rack to the projectors.

I'm sure the screens take several days (maybe even 2 weeks). What I was saying is that there is no way those two theatres were down as long as they have been because of projector and screen upgrades. There had to be other work being done to the ride system.

flynnibus

Premium Member
When IMAX upgrades a commercial theatre to laser, they also change it over to their new 12 channel sound system. This requires a decent amount of new wiring and mounting work. Many times the theatres will replace or refurbish seats at the same time.

The smithsonian theatres did not upgrade their seats... and the audio add is 6 speakers (4 on ceiling, 2 on wall).. and they were down for a month.

Comparing digital upgrades is apples and oranges.

But not sure why any of this is a discussion at all... Disney takes it time during refurbs? NEWS AT 11!

They redid two leading edge tech IMAX theatres, did housekeeping, and upgraded the ride systems. No one really even knows what changes were made to the ride itself to set it up to run for another 5-25 years. In the grand scheme of things, this turnover was relatively short.

Goofyernmost

The smithsonian theatres did not upgrade their seats... and the audio add is 6 speakers (4 on ceiling, 2 on wall).. and they were down for a month.

Comparing digital upgrades is apples and oranges.

But not sure why any of this is a discussion at all... Disney takes it time during refurbs? NEWS AT 11!

They redid two leading edge tech IMAX theatres, did housekeeping, and upgraded the ride systems. No one really even knows what changes were made to the ride itself to set it up to run for another 5-25 years. In the grand scheme of things, this turnover was relatively short.
That would be a good comparison to Soarin if the Smithsonian seats move large numbers of people up in the air and over the top of the screen and haven't had preventive maintenance in 11 years.

MrPromey

The pre-show was always digital, as it uses LCD flat screen displays. I am guessing that either:
A: This was done accidentally, or
B: This was done to emphasize the "Over California" part of the current run.

(Slaps forehead) Of course! I was thinking of the crappy ride film quality the last several years. I should have thought that through a little more before I posted!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I heard from Dynamic attractions Twitter that it was vastly better technically. But I didn't know what that means.

Dynamic Attractions does have their own version of Soarin that appears to provide a larger range of motion, but the ride system used in Shanghai appears to be the same as the other Soarins.

upload_2016-5-31_21-16-24.png

FigmentJedi

Dynamic Attractions does have their own version of Soarin that appears to provide a larger range of motion, but the ride system used in Shanghai appears to be the same as the other Soarins.

View attachment 144156
Trying to figure out if Dynamic Attractions's Soarin system is the same one that's at Mall of America now considering this talk of Flying Theaters starting to pop up outside of Disney.

KingOfEpicocity

Trying to figure out if Dynamic Attractions's Soarin system is the same one that's at Mall of America now considering this talk of Flying Theaters starting to pop up outside of Disney.

I really find it interesting all the extremely complex and frankly ugly solutions they've come up with.

lazyboy97o

View attachment 144156
Dynamic Attractions' Flying Theatre is not too dissimilar from what they built for Disney. The key difference is that the carriage which still holds all of the rows is located before the riders when loading and then flips forward 90 degrees. This is actually the system that Wanda has used.

FlyOver Canada and FlyOver America use the i-Ride built by Brogent Technologies and sold by Vekoma.

Last edited:

GrumpyFan

Wrong! DA's Flying Theater does not have as much range of movement as Soarin'.
DA's platform does not have left-right tilt like Soarin does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom