Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

aaronml

FYI If anyone is going to be at Epcot during the next two weeks, I'm hearing that they'll be soft opening (for limited time periods) the new in-queue world trivia game on a couple of different days prior to the June 17th SATW official open. I believe the first one is some time late next week, on either Thursday or Friday.

lazyboy97o

As someone who has ridden Fly Over Canada in Vancouver... it is nothing compared to Soarin' ... The range of motion is no where close, the images are not as good, and the transitions were even worse.
Whether or not it is well utilized, the i-Ride does have a greater range of motion.

JohnWD

Just went on Soarin' again. The standby line said 75 minutes. I was in the FP line - which was shorter than the last time (a few days ago). Concourse A was still not being used. I went on C this time - the new theater. As others have stated, the queue seems no different - a straight line until a 90 degree right, which brings you to the door queues.

The pre show again seemed the same with the same quality per my eyes.

This time I was on the far right kite seated again in the third row middle. The picture quality was great to my eyes. The ride movements seemed right on. It seemed like the breeze in my face was more pronounced. The scents were subtle but appropriate.

A great ride - one of my favorites. Can't wait for SATW, but that will have to be next year for me at WDW. I will see it a DLR sometime soon I'm sure.

Tom Morrow

Rode last night, and got concourse C. The film looks more clear and more vibrant than it ever has to me, and I've been riding at least a few times a year since 2006. Please forget any notions that it wouldn't look as good as film. Even just the removal of visible dust, or the fuzzy static at the beginning and end of the ride makes the whole presentation seem so much better. The sound quality seemed about the same. There was visible light leak through cracks around a closed door behind the screen that could be seen, and I hope this was just a temporary mistake or will be addressed. Our carriage didn't have wind blowing on us, but it seems that the rest of the carriages had wind and scents, so it was probably just an issue with ours. The wind is actually very important to enhancing the sensation of movement since there actually is very little physical movement at all.

The new lighting in the queue and carpeted floors look better, but I think they should have installed something to look at on the Fastpass side, as it still can get backed up pretty far.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Dynamic Attractions does have their own version of Soarin that appears to provide a larger range of motion, but the ride system used in Shanghai appears to be the same as the other Soarins.

View attachment 144156
Are those the Flying Machine seats? The Da Vinci-esque scene makes a lot of sense for DisneySea.

Also, ITM posted a video of a lousy interview in DCA with a Soarin' Imagineer, but it did show a Matterhorn scene that wasn't Soaring Over the Horizon. Perhaps this is why they have the odd cut that starts at the Polar Bears in scene one of Soaring Over the Horizon.
http://www./2016/05/video-preview-s...ney-imagineer-at-disney-california-adventure/

aaronml

Are those the Flying Machine seats? The Da Vinci-esque scene makes a lot of sense for DisneySea.

Also, ITM posted a video of a lousy interview in DCA with a Soarin' Imagineer, but it did show a Matterhorn scene that wasn't Soaring Over the Horizon. Perhaps this is why they have the odd cut that starts at the Polar Bears in scene one of Soaring Over the Horizon.
http://www./2016/05/video-preview-s...ney-imagineer-at-disney-california-adventure/
That is the video I posted earlier. That Matterhorn scene is the actual Scene One of both SATW and SOTH. The polar bears in Greenland are Scene Two. The currently circulating YouTube video just doesn't happen to start until Scene Two for whatever reason.

Monoblanco13

Is there a reason why only 2 out of the 3 theaters are in use? Seems unwise to have one down especially considering how much time they had to work on everything.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Is there a reason why only 2 out of the 3 theaters are in use? Seems unwise to have one down especially considering how much time they had to work on everything.

Everything seems to indicate that theater "A" is just not ready yet. It was not scheduled to be returned to service for another couple of weeks based on the original rehab schedule anyway so this seems normal. It looks like they just decided that since 2 of the theaters were ready and the queue space updates were done they'd open them to add some capacity to the park while they finish things up on the last theater in preparation for the scheduled re-opening mid-June. Seems that much of the project is actually ahead of schedule and they are just now wrapping up the final details on the last theater.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

That is the video I posted earlier. That Matterhorn scene is the actual Scene One of both SATW and SOTH. The polar bears in Greenland are Scene Two. The currently circulating YouTube video just doesn't happen to start until Scene Two for whatever reason.
Do you know definitively that the Polar Bears are in Greenland and that the image feature is the Swiss alps and the Matterhorn?

RSoxNo1

I suspect that they had to replace the screens in each theater as well as the projectors. I also suspect that they updated the audio systems as well, all of which were done with IMAX laser projectors. I wouldn't be surprised if they basically did one at a time.

Cletus

The CGI in a the SOTW video looks really bad. I hope they redo the Taj Mahal scene. It's horrible.

Thanks to Teebin over at UO for pointing it out.
Yeah, I guess people here don't realize the new film has been on the OU formus for almost two weeks. :confused:

I agree with you about the CGI...that scene you stated couldn't look much more fake! They use it throughout the film, too. Pretty sure that elephant didn't time that scene that well. Not to mention, the Orca.

I'm pretty sure there is enough natural beauty in the World...no need to cheapen it up with CGI, Disney!

Last edited:

KingOfEpicocity

Yeah, I guess people here don't realize the new film has been on the OU formus for almost two weeks. :confused:

I agree with you about the CGI...that scene you stated couldn't look much more fake! They use it throughout the film, too. Pretty sure that elephant didn't time that scene that well. Not to mention, the Orca.

I'm pretty sure there is enough natural beauty in the World...no need to cheapen it up with CGI, Disney!

The original film had CG scenes in it too. If you look at the original film you'll realize there's usually someone doing something in nearly every scene. I think they wanted to do that again, but this time with animals. I don't think it looks bad at all, but I guess we'll have to wait to see it on that huge screen. I thought the original film was much less believable as far as they added effects go.

yellowrocket

There really is no excuse why several of these theaters weren't built for a few countries in World Showcase. The Soarin' concept is practically the natural evolution of the CircleVision 360 travelogues that were last produced in the early 1980s.

I guess it was Dynamic Attractions or Vekoma that was scheduled to build the Soarin' type experience for the failed Opry Walk project in Nashville on the grounds of the former Opryland USA theme park. I don't think it got too far in development, but the attraction was named "I'll Fly Away".

ABQ

The original film had CG scenes in it too. If you look at the original film you'll realize there's usually someone doing something in nearly every scene. I think they wanted to do that again, but this time with animals. I don't think it looks bad at all, but I guess we'll have to wait to see it on that huge screen. I thought the original film was much less believable as far as they added effects go.
You mean to say the golf ball teed off in Palm Springs wasn't legit? Shattered dreams. :arghh:

FerretAfros

Other than the obvious golf ball....what else is CGI in the original? In the new film, an entire SCENE looks CGI.
The hang glider in Yosemite, the golf ball in Palm Springs, and the fireworks and Tinkerbell over Disneyland were all CGI in the original. The imagery held up surprisingly well through the years (especially compared to other CGI of the same era) in part because they were never really the focal point of the scene

In the new version, with all the various CGI boats, animals, balloons, etc, it seems like it's front-and-center, making it unavoidable. I wonder how this will impact the film's longevity as it ages, and how much CGI will be added to the shots of the parks. I half expect the backstage areas to be filled with trees, like on the park maps

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom