Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

cjkeating

Are you sure they are the IMAX-with-Laser projectors? If so, I would be very jealous. For Disneyland's recent upgrade, it received arrays of ordinary, non-laser digital projectors. While scratches and shakiness are gone, the dimness and lack of contrast is actually slightly worse than the film version.

I wonder why WDW got IMAX laser projectors instead of the same set up as DCA? I am not complaining as I went on the DCA Soarin' last week and it was quite disappointing compared to the film version (excluding the flicker and dust particles).

180º

I wonder why WDW got IMAX laser projectors instead of the same set up as DCA? I am not complaining as I went on the DCA Soarin' last week and it was quite disappointing compared to the film version (excluding the flicker and dust particles).
Glad I'm not the only one who thought so. I guess it was a needed change, and I don't quite think it was a downgrade, just a step sideways. I'm curious to see the Epcot upgrade if it is indeed laser!

GrumpyFan

Maybe after the DCA upgrade, they decided it would be better to go IMAX laser. I read elsewhere that the DCA upgrade was done with 4K projectors and they also had to replace the screens. Just wondering if anybody has seen or heard the full specs on EPCOT's upgrade? If they did go IMAX laser, did they have to change anything with the screens as well?

co10064

Premium Member
Speaking of long waits, TSMM currently has a 5 HOUR WAIT according to MDE. Can this be possible, especially with the added capacity?? Meanwhile Everest along with all of DAK's nighttime offerings is sitting at 15 minutes..... This weekend and all of its updates are just confusing me

yeti

Speaking of long waits, TSMM currently has a 5 HOUR WAIT according to MDE. Can this be possible, especially with the added capacity?? Meanwhile Everest along with all of DAK's nighttime offerings is sitting at 15 minutes..... This weekend and all of its updates are just confusing me

It's probably a glitch. Happens all the time.

aaronml

Given the incredibly limited run of this, they probably opted to use the digital transfer they'd made for DCA instead of making a new one or editing the DCA one to put the Epcot version in.
The pre-show was always digital, as it uses LCD flat screen displays. I am guessing that either:
A: This was done accidentally, or
B: This was done to emphasize the "Over California" part of the current run.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The pre-show was always digital, as it uses LCD flat screen displays. I am guessing that either:.

LCDs have analog inputs as well.. your home TV still has composite inputs most likely :)

Probably just a show programming time saver. Re-use DCA's updated show program and timing as its been running for awhile.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe after the DCA upgrade, they decided it would be better to go IMAX laser. I read elsewhere that the DCA upgrade was done with 4K projectors and they also had to replace the screens. Just wondering if anybody has seen or heard the full specs on EPCOT's upgrade? If they did go IMAX laser, did they have to change anything with the screens as well?

When all the standard imax theaters are upgrading to laser lit IMAX they are replacing their screens as well. I think its more about lifecycles and ensuring you get the matched up best result of just the latest screen tech.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I'm pretty sure DCA has the same IMAX Laser lit digital projection. The timing of the install was correct for when IMAX was rolling out the new system, and Disney sources cite 'lasers' in articles like this

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/area-662361-scholz-disney.html
"According to Scholz, advances in laser illumination technology allowed Disney to upgrade the projectors without a sacrifice in the quality of the show"

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Sure look at all the capacity which was removed from DHS

180º

I'm pretty sure DCA has the same IMAX Laser lit digital projection. The timing of the install was correct for when IMAX was rolling out the new system, and Disney sources cite 'lasers' in articles like this

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/area-662361-scholz-disney.html
"According to Scholz, advances in laser illumination technology allowed Disney to upgrade the projectors without a sacrifice in the quality of the show"
Interesting. I may be mistaken, but it's possible Soarin' at DCA may use laser-lit projectors, which are common, but not the new "IMAX with Laser" system with its specially developed and powered prism-less dual projectors. It kills me that I can't remember where I heard this, but I thought the plans involving IMAX's brand new system fell by the wayside after the refurb project was picked up in 2015 after its delay from 2014.

But like I said, I may be completely mistaken. I only wonder because what I see in DCA's upgrade looks nothing like what is described in reviews like this: http://gizmodo.com/imaxs-new-laser-projectors-make-me-wish-i-lived-in-a-mo-1689480610

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom