So, what IS wrong with Space Mountain?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I've ridden SM numerous times. The version at DLR is a million times better than at MK. They re-did the entire ride. The older version at DLR was completely unsafe and it was only a matter of times before there would be another BTMRR disaster. The version at MK looks and feels old. You can see the tracks, the tracks are not smooth, and and the end of the ride you feel like Tina Tuner after Ike beat you up like a punching bag.
By far the best description i have ever heard.

Lee, second photo in the DL TLC, what is the arched/looped supports in the back for? Is that some effects for the ride?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
By far the best description i have ever heard.

Lee, second photo in the DL TLC, what is the arched/looped supports in the back for? Is that some effects for the ride?
If I may, they were part of the visual effects for Rockit Mountain (yeah, yeah...) - modelled after the LED rings from DLPs RnRC.

Dragonrider1227

Original Poster
:ROFLOL::lol::lol: Sorry, your post just made me laugh. "I don't see anything wrong with it",...preceded by a list of things that are,..well,.. wrong with it! :lol:
ROFL Yeah, I noticed that shortly after posting ^^; I basically mean that the touch-ups would be nice, but not doing so isn't ruining the ride for me as it seems to be for others
And Lee, those photos make your point quite vividly :dazzle: Still doesn't really look like it could fall apart any minute but at the same time, that is kinda nasty. Trash in Space Mountain is kinda funny though

WDITrent

Space Mountain is the classic case of people wanting MORE, MORE, MORE from the Mouse. ''Update this, fix that. It's too bland and boring.''
People refer to SM as... "If it aint broke, don't fix it." But this roller coaster is coming to an end. In the meantime, we'll find that the track is falling down, the guests are unexcited about the outdated theming, and somebody needs to climb up there and FIX IT! Tomorrow morning when I look at this thread, it had better be FIXED!

:D

Phonedave

I'll be clear, since I know I'm one of the most outspoken members regarding this refurb:

It is not on the verge of falling apart. You are currently safe. I ride it all the time, despite the concern I've heard and voiced.

How much longer you'll be safe is another question.

The track is old and it's time for it to be replaced. You don't want to see it with the lights on; the light just reveals all the patched areas.

I feel that as long as the computer system doesn't detect any air pressure loss in the track, I'll keep riding it. But a Disney engineer recently told me (sorry, I know I'm pulling in a third party), "It's technically safe, but I wouldn't ride it."

Well there are lots of things that are technicaly safe that many people would not do.

I have an engineering background (BS and MS in Civil Engineering. Lots of construction engineering, lots of foundation design and inspection) Patches can be just fine if done correctly, in fact if done correctly they can be stronger than the original design.

So what I am hearing is the track is old, but has been patched numerous times (which tells me maintence is being done). It also sound like there is a system in place which monitors the integrity of the track via air pressure and telemetry reports that back to a monitoring station (I am familar with those systems as well, most underground communications cable has such a system on it) In fact now I would be interested in taking a gander at their system. Are they using flow or pressure transducers on the track?

After your response, I feel SAFER riding SM now. Not that I felt it was unsafe to begin with.

-dave

tirian

Are they using flow or pressure transducers on the track?

After your response, I feel SAFER riding SM now. Not that I felt it was unsafe to begin with.

-dave

Answer #1: No idea. :p

Answer #2: I don't think it's unsafe, either...YET. (For the record, DL's was extremely unsafe when it closed unexpectedly.)

WDW1974

I have heard many things that lead me to not ride Stale Mountain (one ride in last three years when I was dragged on in 10/07).

Of course the fact I think it is a pathetic attraction currently plays a role.

But ultimately it is being largely held together with chewing gum and elastics because Phil Holmes and Ops doesn't want to close down this 'alleged' E-Ticket.

I just don't see why anyone would defend it in its current state.

SirGoofy

I have heard many things that lead me to not ride Stale Mountain (one ride in last three years when I was dragged on in 10/07).

But ultimately it is being largely held together with chewing gum and elastics because Phil Holmes and Ops doesn't want to close down this 'alleged' E-Ticket.

I have fun on it...but it's mostly "Holy crap I am going to die" fun.

...Yea it needs a fix. Pronto.:lol:

Phonedave

Heard --- From who? Again, I am just trying to figure where this "unsafe condition" is comming from

Opinion, but a nice zinger to throw in there anyway

Again, where are you getting your info on "chewing gum and elastics"? Do you have pictures, a source, an insider (a real insider, not a CM or Imagineer who says "it looks unsafe to me")

I am not defending it, just trying to get down to facts. Fact is I like rough coasters, but thats a personal taste. SM DOES need a good cleaning / refurb. But the questions remains, can anyone provide some concrete proof that it is unsafe?

-dave

mcjaco

For one, you have to realize that Florida has one of the most comprehensive ride inspection process in the country. They're not going to let anyone ride something that isn't safe. I think the whole "it's held together with bubble gum and duct tape" statement is forum posters exagerating a statement from someone, somewhere, and it just took off from there. Kind of like the old phone call game.

In fact, the one in Paris was actually built by an outside roller coaster company (Vekoma), and not by Disney. The one in California is basically similar in concept to the MK version, but just light years ahead of it in technology.

With the exception of California Screamin' and Matterhorn, most of the major coaster's were built by Vekoma. They're the only company that seems to like to work with Disney on these projects. You won't see Intamin working with them anytime soon. :zipit:

SirGoofy

For one, you have to realize that Florida has one of the most comprehensive ride inspection process in the country. They're not going to let anyone ride something that isn't safe. I think the whole "it's held together with bubble gum and duct tape" statement is forum posters exagerating a statement from someone, somewhere, and it just took off from there. Kind of like the old phone call game.

I, like tirian, have been told directly by Disney engineers, "I wouldn't ride it." It's not Disneyland's yet, but it's well on the way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom