So, what IS wrong with Space Mountain?

Phonedave

Dave, I'm just telling you what I have heard from people who would know. That's it.

I'm not out to cost anyone a job by outing them on a fan site when Disney monitors these places.

No one told me 'if you ride Space Mountain you're going to die' ... but I was told on more than one occasion by more than one person that the ride is in bad shape and they wouldn't advise riding.

I think they're just likely erring on the side of caution. I mean, we both know Disney doesn't want another accident that kills people or even just bruises a few.

But Phil Holmes and Ops have pushed to keep this thing open for years when it should have been close and gutted a decade ago. Space Mountain 2.0 should have relaunched in 99 for the Millennium Celebration.

It's beyond a joke that it is still open now.

And the fact you, and others enjoy rough coasters, doesn't change the fact that it's rough not because it was built to be but because it is old and in bad shape. Rough rides aren't really good for Disney anyway because they can aggravate (and cause) injuries and lead to legal actions.

I think we have come to a sort of consensus here.

Nobody has declared MS unsafe for specific reasons, however some "in the know" have said they "would not advise" riding it. Any more detailed information is not going to be divulged.

So it looks unsafe to some - OK I can deal with that. Looks can be very deceptive. I have seen equipment thats patched a dozen times, and is total safe. I have also seen brandy new spanking looking equipment where it has not been safe. However people will tend to look at something and get a "bad feeling" about it.

As far as rough coasters causing injuries leading to legal action. Yes, they can, but so can the teacups. I once twisted my neck on one of those "roundup" things as a teen and could not turn my head to the left for a week. Thats why there are warning signs. I know people still sue even with signs. I guess its just a sad commentary on the state of lawsuits.

-dave

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Other than the shortened time period, do we have any word on what will actually be done on this rehab?

I know a track replacement would be unlikely in 6 months, but is it possible?
No official word, but the track will remain. After a lot of work is done to it. There will be a fair few new things added too - not as much as planned, but at the moment not bare bones either. I can`t say the specifics yet.

earldw28

I rode it about 4 weeks ago and loved it as much as the first time I rode it. I'm sure it needs a refurb just as pretty much everything does as some point but I'm not sure what can be done to improve the overall ride experience. I dont know if I would like music of any kind, maybe something more as far as visual effects would be nice. Anyways, just my thoughts.

Vernonpush

I know a track replacement would be unlikely in 6 months, but is it possible?

They build entire coasters in less than six months. It's certainly not unfeasible.
Yes, but that's new construction in an "open space". What about inside a building that's been there for 30 years (and has flooded)? The demolition of the old track, floor and footings, then the additions of new footings, floor and track (in a confined space) would make a 6 month refurb. seem impossible.:shrug:

gibsonc

UK Disney Geek
I just got back home to the UK from WDW on Tuesday and the week before I was out at Disneyland. Riding Space Mountain out at Disneyland and a day later the WDW version the differences are so apparent!. Sure WDWs Mountain is good, classic etc, still enjoyable, but compared to the Disneyland version, with its smooth track, soundtrack and effects, for me it was so much better.

I consider both versions to be Space Mountain, the theming and overall show is essentially the same. I loved WDWs before ever going on DLs last year, but DLs Space Mountain takes the experience up a level, its still Space Mountain, but far superior. if they did replace the track and do a full DL style makeover at WDW I would consider it to be 'plussing' the attraction more than anything else, even if that means replacing the coaster.

Like others have said Space Mountain in Paris is totally different in design and theme, its good, but I don't consider it to be Space Mountain.

tirian

Like others have said Space Mountain in Paris is totally different in design and theme, its good, but I don't consider it to be Space Mountain.

It isn't; it's "From the Earth to the Moon." ;)

And WDW's Space Mt. track is far superior to DL's

right

hand

turns.

;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It isn't; it's "From the Earth to the Moon." ;)
It was until 2005 - now the cannon has been re-aimed and retuned and it is now Mission:2 - Supernova. Instead of just missing the moon you now just miss an exploding star.

Yep - both DLPs versions have a great, immersive storyline. Who`d have thought a Space Mountain could have one of those....?? :D

EPCOT Explorer

It was until 2005 - now the cannon has been re-aimed and retuned and it is now Mission:2 - Supernova. Instead of just missing the moon you now just miss an exploding star.

Yep - both DLPs versions have a great, immersive storyline. Who`d have thought a Space Mountain could have one of those....?? :D

Is it still the same AMAZING score?:king:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No, it's a new one that's just a slightly tweaked version of the Disneyland one.
Not really - it`s by Michael Giocchino, but is a brand new score to match the attraction exactly. Less Jetsons and more dramatic and dark. PM me if you need to know ;)

tirian

I forgot it was renamed.

Phonedave

Yes, but that's new construction in an "open space". What about inside a building that's been there for 30 years (and has flooded)? The demolition of the old track, floor and footings, then the additions of new footings, floor and track (in a confined space) would make a 6 month refurb. seem impossible.:shrug:

Inside a building means they can work 24/7 without worrying about the guests seeing the work. It also means no delays due to weather.

-dave

EpcotServo

Not really - it`s by Michael Giocchino, but is a brand new score to match the attraction exactly. Less Jetsons and more dramatic and dark. PM me if you need to know ;)

Yeah, I knew it was by him, but I haven't listened to it since Mission 2 opened and all I remember thinking when hearing it was "This sounds exactly like Disneyland's"
:lol:

As much as I love his music, I gotta' go with Steve Bramson on that one.
:sohappy:

WDW1974

HKDL has IMHO the best Space Mountain in the world right now.

While the track layout and score are identical to DL's (and TDL's too), it has added show scenes and effects (some that I believe, and have been told, were installed in Anaheim but don't operate for one reason or another).

DLP's would be the best in the world, as it's actually a thrill ride and looks so cool, but they kind of ruined it by destroying the storyline and replacing a perfectly synchonized classical score with a techno type score ... not to mention the fact you'll suffer a brain injury from riding because it is so rough and needs major work.

Still a great attraction, but oh the pain!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom