So-long stupid Noodle Station!

Craig & Lisa

For people who are not familiar with the food (and let's face it, the majority of Disney guests do not regularly eat asian noodles), this place may be a bit too exotic and unusual. Besides, call me crazy but asian noodles and The Magic Kingdom somehow do no seem to go with each other theme-wise.

On the other hand, for those who do know a lot about asian noodles and do eat it some degree of regularity, the noodles served at the Noodle Station have been "watered down" in flavor that they lose their original ethnic impact. The pad thai isn't "sour" enough (tamarind flavor) and the noodle soup dishes have been tamed down for the average diner that they are no longer appealing to those of us who know how they should taste. So they went for the middle ground and lost customers from both sides.

My suggestion is, look at the packed, busy eating places on Main Street, especially the breakfast places and pastry/confectionary. Why can't they establish another one of that there? Pastries and cakes would work very well there since the view is condusive to just sitting and lounging around with a good pasty and coffee/tea, especially when the weather turns cooler. And ice cream is always a winner when the weather is hot.

Not wanting to be rude or get your dander up, are you a food critiqe(sp)?, as far as I know Tai food in most cases is quite spicy, more than most people are used to, and I thought that the noodle station food had alot of flavor to it, and you could add salt and pepper to your liking, so as to accomodate every level. :slurp:

ZapperZ

Craig & Lisa said:
Not wanting to be rude or get your dander up, are you a food critiqe(sp)?, as far as I know Tai food in most cases is quite spicy, more than most people are used to, and I thought that the noodle station food had alot of flavor to it, and you could add salt and pepper to your liking, so as to accomodate every level. :slurp:

But that's what I meant. They have "watered" a lot of the different food in such a way as to appeal to a larger group of people who visit the theme park. And I happen to know a lot about thai and asian food since I am originally from that part of the world. Besides, I live in a neighborhood in chicago where we have 4 excellent Thai restaurant, 3 noodle restaurants, 3 japanese restaurants, 1 morrocan restaurant (Marakesh at Epcot can hold its own against this restaurant, and that's why we like Marakesh) etc... where the competition is fearce and people around here know a good, authentic food when they see one.

I wasn't "disappointed" when I tried the Noodle Station, because that was exactly the "level" of food that I was expecting for the situation. If they made authentic pad thai and other noodles dishes they way they should, they won't appeal to the larger crowd that are not familiar with the flavor, not just the spicyness. Because of that, those of us who are used to a more authentic flavor of these noddle dishes would rather not go there.

If you are ever in Chicago, and find yourself in the Wrigley Field area, go to P.S. Bangkok and order their Pad Thai. I will bet you that it will not be bland and not overpowered with just soy sauce.

Zz.

Craig & Lisa

But that's what I meant. They have "watered" a lot of the different food in such a way as to appeal to a larger group of people who visit the theme park. And I happen to know a lot about thai and asian food since I am originally from that part of the world. Besides, I live in a neighborhood in chicago where we have 4 excellent Thai restaurant, 3 noodle restaurants, 3 japanese restaurants, 1 morrocan restaurant (Marakesh at Epcot can hold its own against this restaurant, and that's why we like Marakesh) etc... where the competition is fearce and people around here know a good, authentic food when they see one.

I wasn't "disappointed" when I tried the Noodle Station, because that was exactly the "level" of food that I was expecting for the situation. If they made authentic pad thai and other noodles dishes they way they should, they won't appeal to the larger crowd that are not familiar with the flavor, not just the spicyness. Because of that, those of us who are used to a more authentic flavor of these noddle dishes would rather not go there.

If you are ever in Chicago, and find yourself in the Wrigley Field area, go to P.S. Bangkok and order their Pad Thai. I will bet you that it will not be bland and not overpowered with just soy sauce.

Zz.
Unfortunatly my pallet can't handle spicy food, I even have a problem with mild salsa. So if I ever have the chance to try something like that I would more than likely pass on it. And I do apologize, I did seem to raise your dander just alittle. :wave:

diddy_mouse

It's a shame to let a decent dining location go to waste....

The Noodle Terrace seemed like a good idea in theory...but unfortunately the type of food and its location (end of Main St., begining of Tomorrowland) didn't mesh well. I do recall the one time we ate there that the food was a little lacking, but then again, most folks aren't heading to the Magic Kingdom to try Asian food. They know that they can find it at Epcot and it would be more "authentic."

If they can decide on what type of food they want to serve at this spot it might help. Something along the lines of Cosmic Ray's might work. Not typical theme park faire, just something of substance that isn't the hog dogs and french fries of Main Street.

dxwwf3

The Noodle Station was never open when I have been to WDW as of late, so I can't say I'll miss it. I hope that by some chance this turns out positive, but it seems the factors mentioned above (price, seating envornment, etc.) are going to make it tough on this experiment.

elle72688

Well if the food is being done by the Contemporary Covnetion people again this year I would give it a try. I ate at El Pirata y El Perico last year when they had the buffet there (sans free dining plan...they did take the DDE) and it was delicous. We might just have to give it a go around this year. Thanks for the update Merf.

cloudboy

Um is Pad Thai supposed to have Tamarind in it? Not that I eat it much becasue I don't like peanuts, but none that I have ever had has been sour.

I just want to say something about all this "the typical Disney guest...". I know that there are some parts of the country where food selection isn't all that great. But there comes a point where being to unadventurous with food offerings really starts getting in the way of enjoying dining at the parks. Were are talking some pretty plain and simple dishes here - stuff you pick up every day at the local food court in the mall. This is getting a little absurd.

I think the real issue is that they porley planned the restaurant. I have only been there passing through, becasue it has never been open when I was there. The noodle offerings were quite limited, and if I remember correctly it was mixed in with other stuff. I also bet (can't prove) that they probably had problems trying to pre-make all that stuff, and finding that didn't suit the type of food.

I'm sorry, but the food offered at Disney is really getting to be too institutional. Cafeterias are offering better tastes and selections now. Disney is loosing market because of this.

dxwwf3

I'm sorry, but the food offered at Disney is really getting to be too institutional. Cafeterias are offering better tastes and selections now. Disney is loosing market because of this.

I don't see that AT ALL. Look at all the World Showcase table service spots, Brown Derby, Tusker House, etc. These places are some of the most popular restaurants on property. They all offer both simple foods and more adventurous foods all at the same time. Disney food is some of the best I have ever had and it is one of the things I look forward too most on my trips. Yeah, the Magic Kingdom could probably use a place that offers more diverse dishes, but it could also use more diverse attractions as well :lookaroun. Because there are so many favorite places of mine in the parks, I very rarely make it to the resorts to eat, but from what most people say, here is where you can find some of the type of spots that might suit you the best. And from the Magic Kingdom, you can get to the Grand Floridian or the Contemporary by monorail very quickly.

I just don't see where you are coming from at all.

AliciaLuvzDizne

In other words, they're expecting non-Dining-Plan guests to say "$24?!?!?! Screw that!" and leave the space open for the dining plan folks?
that's exactly the "logic" behind the new terrace

its meant to be overflow for the other table restaurants at the MK which are filling up fast!

planet7

Tai food in most cases is quite spicy, more than most people are used to, and I thought that the noodle station food had alot of flavor to it, and you could add salt and pepper to your liking, so as to accomodate every level. :slurp:

Thai food isn't alway spicy. It depends on the dish. I've had Phad Thai at more places and cities than I can count, and it's never been very spicy. Flavorful, but not spicy.

I had some kind of Asian noodle dish in Adventureland (which seems like a more fitting place than Tomorrowland, if you ask me) years ago, and it was wretched. I assume they did a better job at the Noodle Station, but I can't quite get that other expierence out of my mind.

G7

disnyfan89

Are you sure about that? I believe that the people staffed at Pecos Bill's are also trained at El Pirata. Ditto for Cosmic Ray's and the Noodle Station.

Unless these people are a completely different staff than Tomorrowland QSR and Adventureland/Frontierland QSR.
I am 100% positive!

ZapperZ

Um is Pad Thai supposed to have Tamarind in it? Not that I eat it much becasue I don't like peanuts, but none that I have ever had has been sour.

Not "sour" as in lemon sour (which was why I had it in quotes in the first place), but sour as in flavored with tamarind. It's a common ingredient in that part of the world, and Pad Thai, at least good ones, should have it. Bu a lot of Thai restaurants will try to skimp out of it will just flavor it heavily with soy sauce.

First of all, I'm not sure what you mean by "loosing market", considering that the Disney theme parks had record attendence last year while theme parks like Universal and Six Flags saw a drop in attendence. It is more like gaining business. Secondly, I also don't think you can make such an over-generalization of the food offering at Disney. I mean, have you been to Citrico at The Grand Floridian? What about Boma and Jiko at Animal Kingdom Lodge? Tusker House at Animal Kingdom? What about Marakesh at Epcot? I would like to know cafeterias that offer better food than those places.

Zz.

Gucci65

I ate at the Noodle Station on 8/3. I was excited to see it was going to be open for dinner. So we went for dinner before securing our curbspace for Spectro and the food was okay. Nothing spectacular.

Changing this restaurant will be a good thing, but I agree that it needs to be enclosed in order to keep the flies away.

WDWFREAK53

It is if you have a family. For me it would cost $98.00 w/o tax and tip and an adult beverage or two. :eek: I'd rather spend the money on something that won't be gone in a couple of hours. :veryconfu

If the food quality is great...then I don't think it's expensive at all...Granted, it's WAY overpriced for "theme-park fare" but if it's good food, it's not bad at all...and...you're going to be able to eat a nice meal...while you watch Wishes. How is this a bad thing?!?!?!

BRER STITCH

I will miss the Noodle Station, as it is the first creative advance in WDW food since the demise of the beloved "Handwich"!!! :lol:

Disney Food Service needs to get on the ball and look at the changing food trends and population shifts. "Noodle"-type restaurants and "Chipotle"-type burrito places are all the rage in most large cities, yet is is nearly impossible to get either at WDW. This is an obvious reaction to the changing demographics in the US.

What great healthier and more delicious choices over standard theme park fare of burgers and hotdogs.

I think "Pirata" and "Noodletown" failed because the location, food quality, and operating hours were all misguided. In lots of other scenarios, they would have become two of the most popular places to eat in the parks.

Oh well...they'll get the quick buck from the "Temp Buffet", while buying more time to analyze their next move. Win/Win for Disney. But doesn't do much for the guests...

:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom