So-long stupid Noodle Station!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
For people who are not familiar with the food (and let's face it, the majority of Disney guests do not regularly eat asian noodles), this place may be a bit too exotic and unusual. Besides, call me crazy but asian noodles and The Magic Kingdom somehow do no seem to go with each other theme-wise.

On the other hand, for those who do know a lot about asian noodles and do eat it some degree of regularity, the noodles served at the Noodle Station have been "watered down" in flavor that they lose their original ethnic impact. The pad thai isn't "sour" enough (tamarind flavor) and the noodle soup dishes have been tamed down for the average diner that they are no longer appealing to those of us who know how they should taste. So they went for the middle ground and lost customers from both sides.

My suggestion is, look at the packed, busy eating places on Main Street, especially the breakfast places and pastry/confectionary. Why can't they establish another one of that there? Pastries and cakes would work very well there since the view is condusive to just sitting and lounging around with a good pasty and coffee/tea, especially when the weather turns cooler. And ice cream is always a winner when the weather is hot.

Not wanting to be rude or get your dander up, are you a food critiqe(sp)?, as far as I know Tai food in most cases is quite spicy, more than most people are used to, and I thought that the noodle station food had alot of flavor to it, and you could add salt and pepper to your liking, so as to accomodate every level. :slurp:

Hopefully there will be decent replacements with the opening of the Asia restaurant in AK. (keeps fingers crossed)

ZapperZ

Hopefully there will be decent replacements with the opening of the Asia restaurant in AK. (keeps fingers crossed)

Well, even if the food is so-so, at the very least, it fits the whole theme. It would have even fit well at Epcot. Although, unless I'm mistaken or I was halucinating, I think the restaurant that's opening in Asia has a more "indian" flavor [now THAT should scare away a lot of Disney guests, but not me]. Again, I expect it to be the Disney version of it, which means it will be tamed down so that more people not familiar with it will at least give it a try.

Zz.

cloudboy

Loosing Market share as in the number of different people coming to the parks. Keep in mind attendance figures only measure the number of entries. Disney is becoming more and more limited to a certain demographic. They are going more frequently, due in part to the time share resorts as well as attracting a more local crowd. But I believe that is a limited market and in the long run is going top limit their growth. And while attendance figures are up, it is only recently that they have even recovered, and if they were doing as well as they should have been, they would be even higher.

I think that you are highlighting, with the Marakesh and Tusker House, is that what is considered "exotic" for Disney is still rather quite mundane for many people, and thus becomes a minor element of their visit. While the typical Disney fan may not go out to many adventurous restaurants, in almost every city you can find at least one decent Middle Eastern restaurant, a few good asian restaurants, an Indian restaurant, and some kind of South American, even if it is only a buffet. The fact that Disney has to "Americanize" these tastes somehow seem incongruous to me. It has become too conservative and sheltered.

I am surprised that so many DIsney fans are not into trying more ethnic eateries. I would think the idea of new foods and restaurants appealing.

KumbaRider

I am surprised that so many Disney fans are not into trying more ethnic eateries. I would think the idea of new foods and restaurants appealing.

At any theme park I try to find different foods when visiting the parks or resorts. I refuse to eat the bland "burger and fries" found everywhere, so it's a shame to lose these unique offerings.

ZapperZ

Loosing Market share as in the number of different people coming to the parks. Keep in mind attendance figures only measure the number of entries. Disney is becoming more and more limited to a certain demographic. They are going more frequently, due in part to the time share resorts as well as attracting a more local crowd. But I believe that is a limited market and in the long run is going top limit their growth. And while attendance figures are up, it is only recently that they have even recovered, and if they were doing as well as they should have been, they would be even higher.

So you have a source for such statistics? I'd like to read it. I would also want to see how this actually is correlated to the quality of food that causes such an effect.

I think that you are highlighting, with the Marakesh and Tusker House, is that what is considered "exotic" for Disney is still rather quite mundane for many people, and thus becomes a minor element of their visit. While the typical Disney fan may not go out to many adventurous restaurants, in almost every city you can find at least one decent Middle Eastern restaurant, a few good asian restaurants, an Indian restaurant, and some kind of South American, even if it is only a buffet. The fact that Disney has to "Americanize" these tastes somehow seem incongruous to me. It has become too conservative and sheltered.

Is this something that's new? Furthermore, many "popular" ethnic restaurants all over the US have "americanized" their cuisine to suite the local tastes. I cited 3 good Thai restaurants in my neighborhood, but there's more than just 3 around here - some that I do not frequent have abandoned the ethnic flavor in favor of getting more of the locals.

So I do not think this is just something that's occuring at Disney, and to me, it is understandable that they're doing it.

I am surprised that so many DIsney fans are not into trying more ethnic eateries. I would think the idea of new foods and restaurants appealing.

I do not believe that a "typical" Disney visitor are into such exotic tastes. Even so, have you been to Boma lately and see the long lines? Furthermore, Marakesh compares very well with the Moroccan restaurant that we have here, and several people who have been to Morocco that we know rated our restaurant here quite well. So simply via induction and comparision, I know that Marakesh hasn't compromised much on its ethnicity.

What Disney needs are more "standard fair" eateries, but of a better quality, especially at the Magic Kingdom and Disney/MGM Studios. They can easily add variety to such a place by offering something similar to Sunshine Seasons at Epcot, which to me, is the best collection of counter service food anywhere in WDW. Making it too exotic by offering one type of food at that Noodle Station location simply doesn't fit well.

Zz.

LilRoo714

Wonder how they are going to prevent people from plopping down their strollers and bags at the buffet 4 hours before "Wishes" starts and hogging the tables all night???

:veryconfu

My thoughts exactly. Perhaps the high price is due to the expected low turnover in tables... If you got there at 6:30, ate until 8, I bet some people will just wait it out for the fireworks. Meaning turnover could be as little as once or not at all at each table!:veryconfu

AEfx

That's expensive...how long could that price possibly last?

As has been pointed out many times in this thread :

THEY ARE NOT EXPECTING PEOPLE TO PAY THAT PRICE.

This is set-up to handle FREE DINING overflow. The price is INTENTIONALLY there to discourage people from paying the price.

I'm sorry to pick on you, because you certainly aren't the only one, but I'm shocked at the amount of people who read the first message and just click reply without checking out at least part of the rest of the thread.

AEfx

DolFan

I ate at the Noodle Station one of the few times that it was actually open. It sounded like a good idea. But when you have noodles with no seasoning of course it will not taste good. I think that anything there will be better, but it will probably not last. They should put another ride in the restaurant space.

AEfx

No one in their right mind says, "Oh, I don't want to go to Disney World because the fast food isn't exotic enough!" If that is a deciding factor, and Disney is losing market share over it (which a couple of people have claimed in this thread, which I find the silliest thing I've ever heard) don't you think they'd do something about it? If people were walking out and saying, "I'll never come back because you don't have Thai Noodles!" that Noodle Station would have been open for more than a semi-regular basis since it has been opened?

Is fast food supposed to be a MAJOR element of someone's visit? I think you misjudge why people to go to WDW. People go for rides, shows, and attractions. And those people that want more exotic meals have AN ENTIRE HALF OF A THEME PARK devoted to them over at World Showcase.

Have you ever been to Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge? Brown Derby at MGM? Check out the menus there if you'd like some variety. For people that want more complex food choices and wish to pay for it, there are many options at WDW.

What you miss is that the food needs to be "conservative", as you call it, at fast food eateries. Most families (not FANS, but families) that go to WDW and spend $50 on a counter service meal aren't going to choose a bowl of noodles in the hot Florida sun. Not to mention that noodles are pure carbs, which happen to be one of the least popular food groups at the moment - especially to base an entire meal on them.

When you are touring a theme park and hurrying to eat in between adventures, most people aren't going to try something "new", especially at the prices at WDW. They want comfort food, and something they know they will like. This is why things like Noodle Station don't work well at the Magic Kingdom. How many kids do you know who salivate over Thai noodles?

You are making a brash generalization there. Again, however, it's not about "fans", but about Disney's park guests. "Fans" are people like us who come to message boards and such. Most other people don't give a single thought as to the variety of fast food when planning a trip to Disney.

It's about timing. When people are a captive audience paying higher-than-they-are-used-to prices for food, they are touring a theme park in hot weather with families in tow, a hot spicy cup of Thai noodles is obviously not going to be the first choice for most of them. Now, maybe if they were trying out some place at home on their lunchbreak from work it would be a different story, but they aren't. They are hot, tired, and in a hurry to get back to the fun while satisfying their hunger. A hot cup of noodles doesn't really do that for a lot of people as an entire meal.

Most people want easy, non-complex, fast food for those meals. That's why the Noodle Station is not open from dawn until dusk at WDW. If people actually ate there, it would have been. While on a blustery cold New York City day people might try such a place, in the heat of Florida when they're running around doing ride after ride, not so much. If they had added a noodle station to a booth, say, at Cosmic Ray's, it may have done better. But I really don't think that many entire families get excited about hot spicy noodles, not to mention the most prevalent trend in health and diet right now is LESS carbs, not making an entire meal out of them.

I'll be surprised to hear if the Noodle Station actually returns to business after free dining and this promotion is over; my guess is it will return next year with a new theme. I guess Disney will have to take whatever great loss befalls it because of all these people you think will cease going to WDW because the fast food at the Magic Kingdom isn't diverse enough. And the other 99.99999% of us will have to continue enjoying the magic without the cup'o'carbs station.

:wave:

AEfx

Mr.EPCOT

I don't think Wishes is a consideration, because this place is only supposed to be open until nine, where most of the time Wishes will be at ten.

alya922

I honestly don't think $28-29 is a lot for a Disney buffet. We always go to Chef Mickey's at least twice a trip (it's our favorite :) ) and I believe the price is $28 there. So times that by 3 people and that's almost $100. It doesn't really phase us. Not because we're swimming in money but because it's Disney and that's how much good meals cost there. We budget ahead of time and since we've been there almost 30 times we know approximately how much it'll cost for meals our entire trip.

I'd definitely try the new buffet! We never go to Crystal Palace because it seems like it's always a zoo in there! Hopefully we'll get to check it out when I go in a little over a month :)

Epcot82Guy

First off, that price is CLEARLY meant to deter people from dining here. I agree whole heartedly that this is meant to give DDP guests a chance to use their full service points.

I have to point out one thing about the Noodle Station. A significant number of guests have complained about the lack of healthy, non-fast-food options at the Magic Kingdom. The mentality that "people want burgers" is HIGHLY American, and it reflects in foreign guests. I do not think the Noodle Station was necessarily executed well, but I don't think that means that all guests want burgers and chicken strips. The American palate is very different, and Disney is now catering to the global guest. I remember constantly having guests, especially from Europe, ask if anything was available other than burgers. Luckily, being at The Land and Epcot in general, I had places to point them. MK would have been much more difficult.

ZapperZ

First off, that price is CLEARLY meant to deter people from dining here. I agree whole heartedly that this is meant to give DDP guests a chance to use their full service points.

I have to point out one thing about the Noodle Station. A significant number of guests have complained about the lack of healthy, non-fast-food options at the Magic Kingdom. The mentality that "people want burgers" is HIGHLY American, and it reflects in foreign guests. I do not think the Noodle Station was necessarily executed well, but I don't think that means that all guests want burgers and chicken strips. The American palate is very different, and Disney is now catering to the global guest. I remember constantly having guests, especially from Europe, ask if anything was available other than burgers. Luckily, being at The Land and Epcot in general, I had places to point them. MK would have been much more difficult.

That's an excellent point! Unlike Disneyland, WDW attracts and caters more international guests. So at some point, Disney will need to consider them in planning their food items. On the other hand, like you've said, they did not execute the Noodle Station that well. If they want to attract Asian guests or guests who are familiar with the noodle dishes, then they certainly won't do it with that quality. I know that it didn't want me to come back (I'd rather go have the fried fish at Columbia Boat House).

Strangly enough, I believe that most of the international crowd would rather not have food that they're familiar with, but rather the standard, American fare that they've seen on TV and such. I know that when I have international visitors here, the first place they want to go is a good, honest-to-goodness steakhouse! :) This was especially true when Europe was engulfed in that bout of mad cow disease a while back.

So maybe have a really good steakhouse somewhere in MK. We have a very good one in Canada at Epcot, and a pretty decent BBQ place in Flame Tree at AK. So why not a straightforward steakhouse in good ole Magic Kingdom? The typical American guests would love it, and the international crowd would clamor for it. It's a win-win situation!

:)

Zz.

AEfx

Since you just left a link instead of actually having a discussion, I'll have to make an assumption as to why you posted it.

It's ironic you'd feel the need to point out that people go to Disney without children, as I do not have children and travel to Disney quite frequently.

However, the AVERAGE guest does travel to WDW with entire families, which includes children. As I correctly stated, most children are not going to get excited about a cup of noodles on vacation. That wasn't the crux of the discussion, but an observation relevant to the larger audience.

The bottom line is Noodle Station was not a success, or it would have been opened every day. I see people blaming the hours, but I think they have the chicken and the egg scenario backwards; the hours weren't kept regular because the demand wasn't there, not the other way around.

It also has nothing to do with cramming burgers and chicken fingers down people's throat, but with the popularity of that type of food at WDW (multiple locations in each park) is again, because Disney is catering to what people want on a theme park vacation. Disney is RIGHT on top of that stuff, believe you me. The second they saw people wanted Turkey Legs, they put the dang things on every corner.

The truth is, there ARE other choices. Most fast food places at WDW have some sort of different item available, and for people that want to make a big deal out of trying new foods at WDW have a couple of dozen fine dining experiences where that is appropriate. World Showcase is pretty much devoted to nothing but that and shopping.

Noodles as a choice at Cosmic Ray's may have worked, but opening a hot spicy noodle stand in the center of a theme park in the Florida heat just was never going to really work. Very few whole groups of people are going to be entirely satisfied with that meal choice, and if that's the only choice there, people just won't go. That's what happened here.

No one is against choice, and no one is against variety. However, there is a line between offering selections for differing tastes, and catering to a niche crowd. People that want a meal of a cup of spicy noodles are a niche, and not one that was succesful enough at WDW for them to keep the place open regularly. It will be very interesting to see what happens to the location after free dining is over.

AEfx

AEfx

Strangly enough, I believe that most of the international crowd would rather not have food that they're familiar with, but rather the standard, American fare that they've seen on TV and such. I know that when I have international visitors here, the first place they want to go is a good, honest-to-goodness steakhouse! :) This was especially true when Europe was engulfed in that bout of mad cow disease a while back.

BINGO.

People from the UK don't come to WDW to find bangers'n mash and blood sausage...people don't come from Japan looking for Asian noodles.

There are many choices available at WDW besides burgers and chicken fingers, but they are on most of the menus because that's what a lot of people want to eat on vacation. It's funny that people keep saying "Oh, AMERICANS!" like international visitors are coming to WDW to find their native food (that they can eat EVERY DAY) in a fast food kiosk at WDW. We had an exchange student when I was in high school, and you know what the first thing he wanted was? A BURGER and MILKSHAKE.

So this argument that somehow international visitors demand their native food is BS, they are looking for American food. Again, the AVERAGE visitor, of which none of us who come to these boards are. Most people aren't around WDW long enough to get bored with food selection unless they are "fans".

By and large, people want comfort food on vacation, especially in fast-food settings. That's really what fast food is. People are on vacation, and they indulge in burgers and such that they don't always at home as well. That doesn't mean EVERYONE, but obviously it works for most people or a) Disney would change it (don't you see them taking INCESSANT surveys??) or b) people would stop going if it really, really bothered them as much as some people say.

AEfx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom