So is the Hyperion Wharf project dead?

Kamikaze

I'd say you are the ones using talking points. Which is really tiresome. But let us say you are right. Then it has to be said Disney killed PI purposely because it is not what they do and it did not reflect the image of the brand they desire. So 'why' it failed becomes moot and the only reality we are left with is that it ultimately does not exist because Disney does not want it to exist. The 'reason' is totally meaningless in that light. Of course, I know it failed financially. While you are left to believe what you have to believe.

I really am done discussing this until Disney makes the big reveal on the future of DTD. :D

Of my post, which is a talking point?

Clubs in every city in the country? Thats a fact.
Bars everywhere? Fact.
Clubs and bars != South Beach and Vegas? Fact. There are still clubs and bars at WDW, last I checked, by the way.

Only thing left is that PI failed financially. You are the only one to make that argument, when people much more well informed than you have said that it isn't true, and the worst a club was doing was breaking even.

You're done discussing this, eh? Since you know these plans so well, why don't you password encrypt a file and upload it somewhere. In that file, include the information on whats going to happen. When its spilled, you give out the password. Then everyone can see how right you are.

Buried20KLeague

Steve is doing a great job of explaining the changes and I believe he has direct sources. So, after admitting I have faith Disney is going to get this right ultimately, I am happy to pass the torch to others to carry on with that message. I have done my part.

So TDO was right when they closed PI. Then you didn't have a problem with them sitting closed for two years. Then they were right when they rolled out Hyperion Wharf. Then they were right when they canceled it. Now you're confident they're going to be right with WHATEVER they decide will go in there.

I'm sensing a trend.

And on top of that, you admittedly haven't visited DTD (let alone PI) for YEARS.

It ain't Kamikase that has grown old and tiresome.

It's funny how I knew you'd be like a moth to a flame on this when I said something.

Captain Chaos

So TDO was right when they closed PI. Then you didn't have a problem with them sitting closed for two years. Then they were right when they rolled out Hyperion Wharf. Then they were right when they canceled it. Now you're confident they're going to be right with WHATEVER they decide will go in there.

I'm sensing a trend.

And on top of that, you admittedly haven't visited DTD (let alone PI) for YEARS.

It ain't Kamikase that has grown old and tiresome.

It's funny how I knew you'd be like a moth to a flame on this when I said something.

The trend is Meg Crofton's secretary has an account on WDWMagic :)

No? Oh LoL.. then it is Meg Crofton herself :)

Horizonsfan

The trend is Meg Crofton's secretary has an account on WDWMagic :)

No? Oh LoL.. then it is Meg Crofton herself :)

LEAVE MEG ALONE!

leave-britney-alone-guy.jpg

jt04

LEAVE MEG ALONE!

leave-britney-alone-guy.jpg

THAT is funny.

Of course a few of us defend TDO in general here and not any individual. Personally, I still take so much pleasure in knowing she got promoted and will soon be running the DLR. I am addicted to the irony of it all. Plus I think she will do a fine job because anyone that can handle the WDW machine will do fine anywhere.

But the icing on the cake is that I know a certain spirit somewhere is doing this :brick:

:ROFLOL:

71jason

If they duplicate the PI business model they will be right back to square one and they will fail again.

By all accounts, Splitsville does not duplicate the PI model of the Island's last 5 years. They actually keep kids out after 8 pm! They don't let people push strollers through the building past people as they try to drink and bowl and dance. What a concept!

Of course, JT, this belies everything you've said over the years about why PI closed. But glad we're finally on the same page on DtD. :cool:

fillerup

From today's O'Sentinel, Jason Garcia:

Changes slow to appear at Disney's Pleasure Island

Couple of paragraphs -

At the end of summer in 2008, Walt Disney World shut down the nightclubs that once made Pleasure Island an after-dark destination for more than a million people a year, saying it wanted to transform the adult-oriented district into a new venue more suitable for families with children.

Three years later, Disney has yet to realize that vision.

Five Pleasure Island clubs are still standing, but they are sealed up and dark, little more than elaborately themed, empty storefronts. Two others have been demolished, replaced only by a grass field walled off from pedestrians. Just one new restaurant has been added, though Disney says a clothing boutique will open later this summer.

Full article:

Sentinel

jt04

By all accounts, Splitsville does not duplicate the PI model of the Island's last 5 years. They actually keep kids out after 8 pm! They don't let people push strollers through the building past people as they try to drink and bowl and dance. What a concept!

Of course, JT, this belies everything you've said over the years about why PI closed. But glad we're finally on the same page on DtD. :cool:

Of course the important difference being you won't be forced to walk through Splitsville to get from the AMC to Disney Quest or be funneled through some back alley maze.

Couple of paragraphs -

At the end of summer in 2008, Walt Disney World shut down the nightclubs that once made Pleasure Island an after-dark destination for more than a million people a year, saying it wanted to transform the adult-oriented district into a new venue more suitable for families with children.

Five Pleasure Island clubs are still standing, but they are sealed up and dark, little more than elaborately themed, empty storefronts. Two others have been demolished, replaced only by a grass field walled off from pedestrians. Just one new restaurant has been added, though Disney says a clothing boutique will open later this summer.

Full article:

Sentinel

This is how reporters used to practice their craft. It is obvious Jason did his research and moved beyond all the spin. And he gave SPI the last word even if SPI is wrong.

Disney just needs to stay the course with a couple compelling adds to the former PI. If Disney can't find an "anchor" for the area, the solution could be as simple as building their own. Going backwards to "clubs" would reverse all the success of the last couple years that the article details. I hear that HD is doing very well in the new location so add that to the list of great decisions.

ayefour corp.

I wouldn't say HW is dead. Re-tooling is going on, changes being made, some things that have been a cry from the crowds, others not so much.

Expect some familiar themes and concepts.

jt04

I don't recall any Pleasure Island successes of the last couple years mentioned in the article.

Big picture. The Westend and Marketplace are increasingly profitable. The vendors on the former PI have recovered from the impact of the changes. And as the shuttered clubs of the former PI reopen with new offerings they well do increasingly better. And soon what was segmented and non-user friendly will function more as a complete system and that is when the entire area will reach the potential it has always held under all the poor planning. Unless of course they return to a "club scene" and run off a large percentage of those new customers.

flavious27

Big picture. The Westend and Marketplace are increasingly profitable. The vendors on the former PI have recovered from the impact of the changes. And as the shuttered clubs of the former PI reopen with new offerings they well do increasingly better. And soon what was segmented and non-user friendly will function more as a complete system and that is when the entire area will reach the potential it has always held under all the poor planning. Unless of course they return to a "club scene" and run off a large percentage of those new customers.

The management's knee jerk actions to a simple problem make the situation worse.

I don't recall any Pleasure Island successes of the last couple years mentioned in the article.

Well the last couple of years in PI shows what happens when management does not understand their customers and makes dumb decisions.

Couple of paragraphs -

Full article:

Sentinel

Well when disney puts plans for hw on hold indefinitely, changes will be slow to appear.

I wouldn't say HW is dead. Re-tooling is going on, changes being made, some things that have been a cry from the crowds, others not so much.

Expect some familiar themes and concepts.

The plans for HW have been put on hold indefinitely, not the best sign for a project that had a big revival at the end of last year and work was done to clear out part of the site.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And as the shuttered clubs of the former PI reopen with new offerings they well do increasingly better
They won`t. The HW concept is morphing out of all recognition since the original Hyperion Wharf concept was flawed to the max.

What will happen eventually could be good news, and offer a few surprises, but it`ll take more time, planning and money than the HW that you seem to like so much originally offered.

Lee

Adventurer
They won`t. The HW concept is morphing out of all recognition since the original Hyperion Wharf concept was flawed to the max.

What will happen eventually could be good news, and offer a few surprises, but it`ll take more time, planning and money than the HW that you seem to like so much originally offered.
Nothing in that post I don't like....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom